Author Topic: Brewer & Gasparek leave YSU hoops  (Read 3834 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Brewer & Gasparek leave YSU hoops
« on: August 05, 2011, 06:42:37 AM »
YOUNGSTOWN

By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

Tre Brewer finished this basketball season as an unhappy junior. He didn’t want to be an unhappy senior.

After appearing in all but one of YSU’s games this winter, Brewer decided to transfer to Cal State San Bernardino, a Division II school.

In his only season with the Penguins, Brewer averaged 4.2 points and 3.2 rebounds in 29 games, including six starts.

But his role and his minutes fluctuated throughout the season — something he said frustrated him as the season went on.

“Honestly, that was my whole reason for leaving,” he said. “One game, I think I’m in the rotation and the next, maybe I’m not.

“My playing time situation was getting to me and I knew it was time for a move. Especially with me being a junior and being unhappy, I figured I’d be unhappy as a senior.”

Brewer hails from Alto Loma, Calif., and went to junior college in the San Bernardino Valley but said his decision had nothing to do with geography.

“I don’t really get homesick,” he said.

Brewer was the third player to leave the team since November, joining freshman guard Sheldon Brogdon (who left after four games) and junior Devonte Maymon (who left after the season).

Also, five players left the team following the 2009-10 season.

“I heard a lot of guys have come and gone but I was only there one year so I can’t vouch for it,” Brewer said. “I just happen to be another one of those guys.”

YSU went 2-16 in the Horizon League each of the past two seasons.

“I wish them the best,” Brewer said of the Penguins. “The team, they’re still my guys so it was nothing against them.

“It was a great experience; playing Division I basketball, it doesn’t get any better than that. I just felt it wasn’t the right spot for me.”

Gasparek leaves

YSU guard Makayla Gasparek has left the women’s basketball team, according to a report from WFMJ-TV.

Gasparek, a Boardman High graduate, battled a foot injury for most of the season and played just 29 minutes in eight games.

Offline TheInsideMan1

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer & Gasparek leave YSU hoops
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:00:03 AM »
Wonder if him leaving has anything to do with what RiceStrength posted in an earlier post.... I hope not.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »
Brewer won't be missed much--he over-rates himself. As for Gasparek, she can really no longer play due to severe foot problems. She's a great kid and everyone should wish her well.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 09:07:17 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 09:08:47 AM »
Okay ...let's behave.