Author Topic: 2011 Guins predicted to finish 8th...!!!  (Read 8158 times)

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
2011 Guins predicted to finish 8th...!!!
« on: August 01, 2011, 03:16:12 PM »
I about lost my lunch today reading the pre-season conference predictions...no way the Penguins finish below 2nd or 3rd this year....they have them 8th....

If this is not fuel for the fire I don't know what is.....

Offline YGUINSNO1

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Guins predicted to finish 8th...!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 04:11:45 PM »
Go Guins!!       ;)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:26:22 PM »
If the defense develops and can be labeled as "average," we will be very competitive against any FCS opponent.  If the defense develops and can be labeled as "good," we will win and win big.  What media types and opponent sids over 500 miles away think should be of no concern or interest to us. 

We played last season with a freshman quarterback and a sophomore/freshman tandem at running back, and we put up record breaking numbers.  Those guys should improve.  Sure no receiver has asserted himself yet, but we all realize that running the football is the key to great success.

Do these coaches impress you as the kind of individuals who will put up with the shoddy defense that we experienced last season?  That is not the impression I have.  I will be shocked if our defense is not at least average, and they probably will be good. 

Finally, consider the level of talent that Wolford inherited and then look at the credentials of the players in this program now.  It's coming, and it will start this year.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:51:34 PM »
I am not certain our staff had such poor defenders ...I know they had a poor plan. Our defense from last year was designed for the SWAC, whose offenses need to score basketball-type numbers to win because of this. I am hoping our staff realize what the MVFC requires now & that Cochran is working some "magic" ...injury free of course.

I was very happy to see Rado and List in there with Cooke. What a great career Radakovich has had so far. He will be on the next 25-year team. List is just getting started.

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:26:09 AM »
the defense will be better then last year....i know thats not saying much....the question is how much better can this group become...sounds like we brought in a few corners who can help out....we are going to score points on offense...I think there is no question about that...

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »
does anyone know where allen jones is going..?...

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 08:16:47 PM »
At this point I would rather be #8 then #1, no target on our back, After we knock off a couple of league foes folks will know
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 08:20:14 PM »
At this point I would rather be #8 then #1, no target on our back, After we knock off a couple of league foes folks will know

Agreed.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 10:32:31 PM »
If the defense develops and can be labeled as "average," we will be very competitive against any FCS opponent.  If the defense develops and can be labeled as "good," we will win and win big.  What media types and opponent sids over 500 miles away think should be of no concern or interest to us. 

We played last season with a freshman quarterback and a sophomore/freshman tandem at running back, and we put up record breaking numbers.  Those guys should improve.  Sure no receiver has asserted himself yet, but we all realize that running the football is the key to great success.

Do these coaches impress you as the kind of individuals who will put up with the shoddy defense that we experienced last season?  That is not the impression I have.  I will be shocked if our defense is not at least average, and they probably will be good. 

Finally, consider the level of talent that Wolford inherited and then look at the credentials of the players in this program now.  It's coming, and it will start this year.

Yes Sir.....that's how i see it. It's just common sense.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 02:07:05 PM »
As has been gospel for 100 years in football,,,

It all depends on the O and D lines.

I am  troubled  by the fact we have to go the JC route most years to get those linemen.  Always plugging holes with kids who have played against questionable competition.

We have to start developing our young HS recruit linemen.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 02:30:19 PM »
Lecter,

I agree, but if you look at the current roster we have 11 offensive linemen and 10 defensive linemen listed as sophomores, redshirt freshmen, or freshmen.  Granted they are not all scholarship players, but  it seems as if Wolford recognizes the problem and is trying to develop his own talent in those critical areas.  We need to cut him some slack about using jucos this year since so few of those young linemen will be ready.