Author Topic: Pre-Season Polls  (Read 5115 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Pre-Season Polls
« on: June 11, 2011, 11:30:45 AM »
Well:

Looks like we have our work cut out for us in 2011. There are 4 magazines this year, as the Sporting News threw their hat in the ring. Street an Smith is not out yet, but we are last in 2 of the 4 mag conference polls so far. Second-to-last in the other. Looks like Athlon does not even care anymore. They did confirm that Boatwright's hamstring injury is at least season-ending ...probably career.

They do not even wait to see who shows up for camp any more.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 06:23:42 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline TheBearMay

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Season Polls
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 01:59:16 PM »
... confirm that Boatwright's hamstring injury is at least season-ending ...probably career.
Sorry to see that happen to a good kid, hope he makes it back.

As for polls, always enjoyed proving them wrong.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 02:00:01 PM by TheBearMay »
Say what you mean, mean what you say, and let your actions speak for you.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »
... confirm that Boatwright's hamstring injury is at least season-ending ...probably career.
Sorry to see that happen to a good kid, hope he makes it back.

As for polls, always enjoyed proving them wrong.

I think we will prove to be somewhat of a force this year May ...I was looking for some good things from Boatwright; our secondary needs help. I really hope he makes it back as well. If he only sits for a year, then he will have a great career ahead of him.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 08:56:36 AM »
IAA,

Street and Smith mag. does not exist anymore.  Sporting News bought them out 2-3 years ago and they only kept the Sporting News label.  Phil Steele magazine does the best job with FCS.  They have a full page of FCS per team.  Most predict YSU last.  I expect 6-5 or better.  At least I hope.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 01:04:13 PM »
It becomes quite a joke when national publications predict something like FCS football, a commodity about which the writers know little or nothing.  Sure it is easy to look at the 2010 results and see YSU at 1-7/3-8 and assume that they stink.  And of course our defense definitely did stink.  But you could not help but notice how improved the first defensive unit was during the spring while using new three linebackers that could actually run and tackle!  I expect about nine new starters on a defense that will be at least above average.  And that will make a radical difference in the won-lost record.

Consider this.  Operating with the worst defense in school history, we blew leads during the last two minutes against North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Western Illinois, and Illinois State.  We drove inside the ten but could not score the winning points against Indiana State.  We blew a 17 point lead at Missouri State.  We were really only handled from start to finish at South Dakota State. 

So let the "experts" predict that we lose every game 42-7.  I am perfectly confident that this coaching staff will win, and that the winning starts this season.