Author Topic: Scalzo: Wolford confident after 2nd spring  (Read 2699 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Scalzo: Wolford confident after 2nd spring
« on: April 13, 2011, 06:54:16 AM »
YOUNGSTOWN

If you were to pick a snapshot of Eric Wolford at last year’s Youngstown State spring practice, it would probably show the first-year coach in full fury, getting in the face of one of his players, most likely saying something like, “DO YOUR JOB!”

(There might even be a colorful adjective included between “your” and “job.”)

This spring has been a different story. Wolford has mostly watched in silence, which is either a sign that he’s mellowed since turning 40 last week or that he’s pleased with his team’s performance.

“It’s night and day, for me,” he said at Tuesday’s Bob Dove spring luncheon. “It’s a different team. These kids are doing things right and understand what’s expected.

“I haven’t had to yell and scream nowhere near as much. I have a voice and I don’t have as many headaches.”

Some of the progression has come on the field. Most of the players are entering their second year in Wolford’s system and, naturally, look better.

But Wolford said the progress can be seen in other areas, from putting their towels away (“They know if they don’t put their towels back, they’re going to drip-dry or dry off with paper towels”) to their attitudes (“It’s yes sir, no sir”) to their conditioning (“We’re a more physical football team”).

The Penguins will get a chance to display their progress in Saturday’s annual Red-White spring game, which will feature a starters versus starters format. (Last year’s game was starters versus backups.)

It will be the last chance for the current players to impress the coaches in a competitive atmosphere before 30 freshmen arrive this summer, most on defense.

“In certain positions, we’re in pretty good shape,” Wolford said. “I say all the time, ‘You’ve got 15 practices to show what you can do. Then we go into the fall and we got some new guys coming in. And we kind of already know what you can do. It’s your job to hold on to your spot.’”

Wolford feels confident in every offensive position except receiver, where he is trying out sophomore running back Jordan Thompson in an effort to upgrade the talent and create more competition. Defensively, the Penguins have looked solid on the defensive line but injuries have ravaged his linebackers and defensive backs this spring, so the depth chart at those positions could change over the next few months.

Regardless of what happens Saturday, Wolford and his staff will pay careful attention to how his players perform in the “voluntary” conditioning sessions that run from May through July.

By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com