Author Topic: Mike Cochran as the new strength coach  (Read 7655 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Mike Cochran as the new strength coach
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:39:39 AM »
For the benefit of those who are not local, the Vindicator reported today that Mike Cochran assumed duties as strength and conditioning coach on January 31. 

Offline ysudog

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Mike Cochran as the new strength coach
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 05:08:12 PM »
This is great news. Mike will help take us to the next level. I can only infer that he saw the writing on the wall pretty quick at Akron. I think this speaks volumes for the direction of our program.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 06:18:24 PM »
Cochran happy to be home

By Greg Gulas

sports@vindy.com

BOARDMAN

Former Youngstown State University football player and conditioning coach Mike Cochran is the first to admit that he had to leave home in order to return home.

Speaking to the Curbstone Coaches during Monday’s weekly luncheon meeting at the Blue Wolf Banquet Center, Cochran praised the cutting edge ideas of YSU’s former head trainer and strength and conditioning coach, Dan Wathen.

Cochran said he hopes that he can add to the many ideas that he was a part of during his time as an assistant on Wathen’s staff in the decade of the 90’s.

“It was a lot of fun to be a part of the many successes that our teams enjoyed throughout the ‘90s,” Cochran said. “To be able to work with Dan back then and learn under one of the most knowledgeable strength coaches nationally was a very rewarding experience.

“It was then and only then that I was able to take those ideas with me to my next three stops,” Cochran said. “Hopefully, I can now bring back to YSU some new and interesting training concepts to which I have been exposed.”

Cochran was assistant strength and conditioning coach for football at Ohio State from 2001-05.

He later served as the head strength and conditioning coach for all sports at Marshall University (2005-09) and the University of Akron (2009-10).

Those stops have yielded new knowledge that he plans to implement at YSU.

“During my time at Ohio State, I saw what was necessary and the commitment that it took in order to achieve at the college game’s highest level,” Cochran said.

“That experience helped to prepare me for my stints at both Marshall and Akron, knowing full well what it took to make sure that all sports, both men’s and women’s, were taken care of properly,” Cochran said.

Cochran, who resumed his duties with the Penguins’ athletic department on Jan. 31, is excited about working with the football program and most especially with second-year head coach Eric Wolford.

Ron Strollo, YSU athletic director, said bringing back someone who understands the program and tradition was critical.

“Mike [Cochran] was a member of Coach Tressel’s first recruiting class so he understands and realizes the commitment and dedication that is necessary in order to win.

“We’re just excited to have him back this spring and have him around the program as we anxiously anticipate the start of coach [Eric] Wolford’s second football season.

“We’re committed to doing what it takes, both on and off the field, to win championships in all sports and Mike Cochran is a big piece of that puzzle,” Strollo said.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:34:47 PM »
"We're committed to winning championships in all sports," Strollo said.  "Mike Cochran is a big piece of that puzzle."   That doesn't sound to me that wins in basketball is not important to our athletic director.  Now, how do we start winning in the other sports, our strenght and conditioning coach doesn't recruit!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
Welcome home, Lad.

Call me when you are going to some golf outings and I'll make sure I stay away!

FYI to ALL--- Cat is CRAZY.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 01:55:32 AM »
Lecter, read between the lines on my comment.  It was a sarcastic approach at Slocum's desire to recruit guards.  Of course, I see he offered another one from Florida, and still no mention of trying to recruit any bigs to help Eargle.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 08:43:25 AM »
Maybe slocum plans on playing a guard at center.  Mind boggling to think we are concetrating on guards.  I'll stop so some of you don't think I am bashing slocum. 

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 12:47:41 PM »
Lecter, read between the lines on my comment.  It was a sarcastic approach at Slocum's desire to recruit guards.  Of course, I see he offered another one from Florida, and still no mention of trying to recruit any bigs to help Eargle.

Ya, I got it.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!