Author Topic: Butler 71 Pittsburgh 70  (Read 8595 times)

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Butler 71 Pittsburgh 70
« on: March 20, 2011, 08:25:12 AM »
Congratulations to Butler
Who says the Horizon League isn't TOUGH.
To think that YSU beat Butler 62-60 !!!!!

One of the oddest finishes to a basketball
game I've ever seen.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Butler 71 Pittsburgh 70
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 11:44:13 AM »
My reaction: Money!  Money!  More Money for the league and for YSU. :)

I agree.  I have never seen two bone-headed plays back-to-back.  The announcers spent much of that game telling us how great the Pittsburgh coach is.  Yet he committed a blunder at the end that would be inexcusable even at the high school level.  Once his player made the first free throw to tie the game at 70, he should have removed his players from the free throw lane-to avoid exactly what happened.

All of the news accounts are calling this a "big upset."  Since when is it an upset when a good college basketball team beats a collection of NBA wanna-bes?

Offline ysu16

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 11:58:25 AM »
YSU handed Butler it's last loss on February 3rd.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 12:41:31 PM »
Pitt handed  them the game...Butler was not seeded high enough..this year...Yes go Horizon !!!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 02:25:28 PM »
My reaction: Money!  Money!  More Money for the league and for YSU. :)

I agree.  I have never seen two bone-headed plays back-to-back.  The announcers spent much of that game telling us how great the Pittsburgh coach is.  Yet he committed a blunder at the end that would be inexcusable even at the high school level.  Once his player made the first free throw to tie the game at 70, he should have removed his players from the free throw lane-to avoid exactly what happened.

All of the news accounts are calling this a "big upset."  Since when is it an upset when a good college basketball team beats a collection of NBA wanna-bes?

Wick - my son and I stopped to eat on our way back from some high school semi-state games here and watched the end of the game.  Your two comments were the exact things he told me as we watched - why were the guys on the line and how much money did YSU make.   ;D

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »
Indy,

Just proves that you have got a really smart kid and that you raised him properly! 8)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 06:27:45 PM »
Washington gave the game away today as well. Twice they grabbed the rebound off of a 1 and 1, and missed.

I think the Butler foul was called and proper. Put them at the line and make them beat you. No chance for a rebound and no time off the clock. The missed charity toss was called. Heck, the assistant Butler coach almost ran out and whispered it in his ear, before he acknowledged it. I was just praying it went in. We were at Quaker Steak watching it. There was some wrestling tournament somewhere in ytown and the place was packed with wrestlers, all watching the NCAA finals. There was a wrestler from Youngstown that went to Kent in the final. He lost very quickly though. All of the wrestlers were cheering for him.

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 09:25:06 PM »
On ESPN radio this morning around noon there was an interview with Mack of Butler. He was asked about his foul, then about the end of the game and last question asked was "Well your team lost a lot of games this year compared to last year in the Horizon League, was there a moment that turned things around for the team"  replied Mack, " After the loss at Youngstown Sate, we as a team had a long ride back to Indianapolis, and practice was very much more .......focused."

We helped get Butler ready for the tournament?
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 11:08:42 PM »
EL - From a fan perspective in Indy, the bandwagon was getting pretty empty after the YSU game.  My son didn't get nearly the grief he thought he would for wearing his YSU sweatshirt to school the next day.
Rest assured the bandwagon has filled back up.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 12:03:12 PM »
Washington gave the game away today as well. Twice they grabbed the rebound off of a 1 and 1, and missed.

I think the Butler foul was called and proper. Put them at the line and make them beat you. No chance for a rebound and no time off the clock. The missed charity toss was called. Heck, the assistant Butler coach almost ran out and whispered it in his ear, before he acknowledged it. I was just praying it went in. We were at Quaker Steak watching it. There was some wrestling tournament somewhere in ytown and the place was packed with wrestlers, all watching the NCAA finals. There was a wrestler from Youngstown that went to Kent in the final. He lost very quickly though. All of the wrestlers were cheering for him.

Basketball players play with balls.

Wrestlers have them.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!