Author Topic: Horizon League "Off-Season" news  (Read 22588 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon League "Off-Season" news
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »
Could care less if the MAC is weaker in basketball..Butler is the Horizon..we are along for the ride and up to now other than getting the little subsidy money from BUTLERS success our Men's program has done little to justify any excitement in Ohio's recruiting wars....as for what Kent Hired...they did what they always have done since Waters turned that program around...They hired from within...
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 04:23:20 PM »
Something else to consider. I think we may find a solution stemming from football, rather than basketball.  With the expansion of the MVFC, the conference will only require 7 or 8 games for it's members. This does leave us with enough open dates to play a warm-up, a money game, and Akron and/or Kent (rival). If we can begin to defeat these two (or at least an above 50/50 split) we make a statement to potential recruits and excite the fans with a return to our rival games.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 04:32:46 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline pittsburghpenguin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 04:38:39 PM »
I like your idea of scheduling Akron or Kent. It's not going to happen though because YSU is not going to schedule two FBS schools in one year. they will not make the playoffs doing that.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 08:32:46 PM »
I don't see us playing Kent or Akron in football ever again - unless - something very drastic happens to our program or theirs. Talking someone changing divisions!

They do not have the money to pay us big bucks and I just do not see a recruit coming to YSU because they may get a chance to play either one of them, yea yea. Penn St, Ohio St, Mich St are worth getting pumped up about, not some low end MAC schools.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »
Updates on Valpo's Brandon Wood and Butler's Shelvin Mack and their declarations for the NBA draft.  I had not previously heard that Wood is likely to transfer to grad school in the Big Ten if he doesn't stay in the draft.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6443622/reaction-new-names-nba-draft-list

• Valparaiso leading scorer Brandon Wood declared for the draft. But according to Valpo assistant coach Bryce Drew, Wood wanted to see the process and get a sense of where he stood. If he doesn't hear anything positive, then he will withdraw from the draft. But there is another curveball. Wood is a fourth-year junior at Valpo and is graduating. He started his career at Southern Illinois and went to a junior college for a year. The Crusaders aren't expecting Wood to return, even if he were to withdraw with the option that Wood would transfer to a Big Ten school for graduate school and a fifth year. One option for him might be Michigan State, according to a source. If Wood were to join the Spartans, it would be a huge pickup because of his ability to score from the perimeter.

• A number of NBA personnel said they wouldn't be surprised if Maryland's Jordan Williams, Butler's Shelvin Mack, Washington's Isaiah Thomas, Boston College's Reggie Jackson or Fresno State's Greg Smith all stayed in the draft. But there is a consensus already that Michigan's Darius Morris, Xavier's Tu Holloway, Georgetown's Hollis Thompson, Miami's Reggie Johnson, Pitt's Ashton Gibbs and Northwestern's John Shurna should go back to school before they make a mistake of leaving too soon, and in the case of those who can't make an NBA roster, a major error in giving up their eligibility.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 05:15:36 PM »
I don't see us playing Kent or Akron in football ever again - unless - something very drastic happens to our program or theirs. Talking someone changing divisions!

They do not have the money to pay us big bucks and I just do not see a recruit coming to YSU because they may get a chance to play either one of them, yea yea. Penn St, Ohio St, Mich St are worth getting pumped up about, not some low end MAC schools.

I am talking about Kent or Akron in addition to a 'money game'. With the expansion, the conference will only require we play 8 conference teams each season. This leaves 3 open games (four games every 4th year).

1. money
2. rival
3. warm-up.

We need one more team in the MVFC.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 08:25:23 AM »
http://www.cleveland.com/sports/csu/index.ssf/2011/04/transfers_clear_way_for_viking.html

As expected, Cleveland State had several postseason defections on the men’s basketball team, three so far — all of which combine to deplete the Vikings bench of its experience. Gone are 6-10 Joe Latas, 6-7 Charlie Woods and 6-4 Josh McCoy.

This makes six players who have transferred in the past two seasons for Cleveland State but clears the decks for the bulk of the five-man recruiting class coach Gary Waters signed back in November. And, if Internet recruiting sites are accurate, the Vikings still are out recruiting. They are on the hunt for a post player, reportedly, with offers on the table to 6-8, 240-pound Dwight Miller from Midland College, a junior college in Texas, and 6-9, 240-pound Ibrahima Djimde from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep.

However, should one of these post players commit to CSU, yet another player will have to transfer to make room.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »

I am talking about Kent or Akron in addition to a 'money game'. With the expansion, the conference will only require we play 8 conference teams each season. This leaves 3 open games (four games every 4th year).

1. money
2. rival
3. warm-up.

Why are you two hijacking the basketball thread talking about football schedules?

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 06:05:13 PM »

1. money
2. rival
3. warm-up.

Why are you two hijacking the basketball thread talking about football schedules?

Looked back and saw the segue - no harm no foul - back to BB.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 01:43:40 PM »
Updates on Valpo's Brandon Wood and Butler's Shelvin Mack and their declarations for the NBA draft.  I had not previously heard that Wood is likely to transfer to grad school in the Big Ten if he doesn't stay in the draft.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6443622/reaction-new-names-nba-draft-list

• Valparaiso leading scorer Brandon Wood declared for the draft. But according to Valpo assistant coach Bryce Drew, Wood wanted to see the process and get a sense of where he stood. If he doesn't hear anything positive, then he will withdraw from the draft. But there is another curveball. Wood is a fourth-year junior at Valpo and is graduating. He started his career at Southern Illinois and went to a junior college for a year. The Crusaders aren't expecting Wood to return, even if he were to withdraw with the option that Wood would transfer to a Big Ten school for graduate school and a fifth year. One option for him might be Michigan State, according to a source. If Wood were to join the Spartans, it would be a huge pickup because of his ability to score from the perimeter.

Saw today that Wood will indeed play next year for Michigan State.