Author Topic: Ladies fall 49-47  (Read 12443 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Ladies fall 49-47
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:39:15 PM »
I do not have the story, yet, but listened to the game. We only shot 26%

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ladies fall 49-47
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:21:27 AM »
I think Boldon has the wom. on the right track.  They should only improve next year with most everyone back.  Nice job Boldon!  Maybe he can coach the mens team as well. 

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:22:12 AM »
I think Boldon has the wom. on the right track.  They should only improve next year with most everyone back.  Nice job Boldon!  Maybe he can coach the mens team as well. 

Your right.  I hope the momentum carries over to next year  :) Good job ladies!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 09:27:08 AM »
I think you are right Pride. My only concern is the inconsistent play this year. Saturday we "steam-rolled" this same team with almost 50% shooting. It was great to see 3 first-year players do so well though. Hornberger sunk 4 three-pointers.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »
Who, besides you, would welcome everyone back from a 6-24 team? There will be several roster changes--hopefully for the better. T. Jones (1-16 last night) couldn't beat Lecter in a game of H-O-R-S-E!!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:55:41 PM »
Who, besides you, would welcome everyone back from a 6-24 team? There will be several roster changes--hopefully for the better. T. Jones (1-16 last night) couldn't beat Lecter in a game of H-O-R-S-E!!

LOL   ,   I actually played Miss Jones at the Y once.  Not horse just 1 on 1.  I dunked on her enroute to an 11-4 finish.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »
IP,

How dare you pick on one of the Hill/Martin athletes?  Ok, she missed ten layups but she could run faster and jump higher than anybody else on that floor. ;D

With Brown back for two years, Schlegel returning healthy (hopefully,) and at least three new recruits that can probably actually play basketball, there is reason for cautious optimism.  But as IP stated last week, this rebuilding job is very, very difficult.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:35:29 PM »
(Cold as) Iced-T should have been one of the Commodores......cause she's a Brick House!!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:36:14 PM »
Is she "mighty mighty"?

con tinue

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 06:05:07 AM »
Penguins took big steps in Boldon’s first year

The answer to the first question I ever asked Bob Boldon can pretty much sum up his outlook on taking the Youngstown State women’s basketball coaching job last spring.

Keep in mind the team had just suffered through an 0-30 season under Cindy Martin, who resigned shortly after the 2009-2010 season ended. Take that finish and the fact the team was without a coach and there were a lot of things to deal with for the new man in charge.

So I asked him about it.

I asked Boldon if he thought the team’s winless season would put more pressure on him in his first year — any athlete will tell you the mental part of losing is harder to overcome than the physical part. Or, maybe there was less pressure because, hey, if you win one game you’re already 100 percent better.

But Boldon didn’t really care to think about it. He looked me square in the eye, and with an air of confidence — and maybe some defiance, he responded.

“It’s irrelevant,” he said.

Boldon went on to explain his answer, but those two words are what stuck with me, and probably several of the players who attended the press conference. He let everyone know right then and there he was in charge and whatever happened last season was, well, irrelevant.

Now let’s fast forward a few months.

The Penguins saw their season end Monday, with a heartbreaking 49-47 loss to Loyola in the first round of the Horizon League tournament. Sophomore sensation Brandi Brown had her game-tying shot blocked at the buzzer to end the season.

A lot has been made of the basketball programs at YSU. The men’s team seems to be stuck in limbo right now. So if the programs can be compared to the stock market, head coach Jerry Slocum and the men are evading the bear while Boldon and the women are riding the bull.

Let’s be honest, six wins is terrible for a college basketball team. But, all things considered, it’s a tremendous accomplishment for the women. Before the season began, I picked the team to win about three or four games for a couple of reasons.

The first and most obvious reason is the record. The Penguins had won three games in the past two years combined. But the Penguins doubled that total in Boldon’s first year.

Secondly, this team isn’t going to size anybody up anytime soon. Their tallest player is Tieara Jones, the Rayen School graduate who stands at 6-foot-even. Last year, the Penguins graduated center Rachel Manuel, who at least provided some length at 6-foot-3. The Horizon League is no slouch of a conference, either — just ask any team that played the Butler men last year.

So with all that in mind, I gave Boldon a few games. But not six. Six was a pretty big turnaround. Again Boldon rendered something I had to say irrelevant.

But even more importantly than the wins were how the team fared in losses. Anyone who attended last year’s games would see one of two things: a good first half followed by a terrible second half, or a blowout that was over at the intermission.

This year, though, the Penguins were tough. The team lost seven games by five points or fewer. They had swagger and moxie. But best of all, there wasn’t a game they played where they didn’t think they could win.

I can’t promise the team will overthrow UConn next year, but at least it’s fun to watch again.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 08:35:14 AM »
Is she "mighty mighty"?

con tinue
makes an old man (me, you) wish for younger days (Ed D's NCAA teams)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 09:00:20 PM »
I was happy with the improvement this year, sure they have a way to go, but they were fun to watch and were in several games that could have gone either way. Future is looking better, let's see how the teams improvement helps recruiting.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 02:01:24 PM »
Anybody seen Ursuline play this year?

We have anything going on with any of their kids?

How about Williams from Howland?

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 02:27:46 PM »
Anybody seen Ursuline play this year?

We have anything going on with any of their kids?

How about Williams from Howland?
I believe we have offered the Williams girl. Don't know about any of the University of Ursuline girls.