Author Topic: Rach leaves YSU football team.  (Read 12376 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Rach leaves YSU football team.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 06:56:56 PM »
That is a shame. I really thought he came into his own the spring going into 2009. I think he was both a Big-33 and a North vs South player out of HS.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 07:52:33 PM »
Guess that he did not want to play D-end.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 10:11:55 PM »
This should not surprise anybody, and there will be many more players who leave before next September.  We endured the worst defense in the history of Youngstown State University last season.  I fully expect between 9 and 11 new starters to take the field against Michigan State. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »
Agree Wick. The question is whether we are going to keep the same type of defense, hoping to upgrade the caliber of player ...or are we going to make changes in our defense? I am of the opinion we need to do the latter to compete in the MVFC. We cannot play these position types of defense that are common down south. A QB in the MVFC is going to throw the ball whether you are in position or not. Two-back sets in the MVFC are not only common; they are not always lined up horizontally. TE's do more than block. In short, coverages need to be tight and defensive players have to tackle. Linebackers have to be a dominant force. d-Linemen need to force earlier/shorter throws.

Is spring ball here yet?   fb

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:19:40 PM »
That's too bad.  This puts the pressure on Sprague and Cheaib to step up.

Offline newname

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:46:09 AM »
"Decision was not football related" - was that Wolford's contribution the article?  I agree, you will probably see quite a few more leave before September.  I hope his recruiting abilities are as great as he claims they are.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:05:47 PM »
"Decision was not football related" - was that Wolford's contribution the article?  I agree, you will probably see quite a few more leave before September.  I hope his recruiting abilities are as great as he claims they are.

Not to ask the obvious BUT you say it was not football related, so that means it had nothing to do with a possible change of position, possibility of not starting or not getting along with the coaching staff - correct.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline newname

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 08:59:37 AM »
guin, you completely missed my point.  I am certain it was football related.  That is Wolford's response to every player that has left his program. And there have been more this year than in probably in the history of YSU football combined.  How many Heacock era players are left? That is what I meant when I said - I hope his recruiting abilities are as good as he THINKS they are?   I have not been impressed with anything about him (on or off the field) but this season will tell because he now will have a team that is almost completely his and he can no longer blame his losses on other people.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
It all comes down to how a person responds to these two questions.  First, what percentage of the football team that Wolford inherited from Heacock were legitimate FCS players?  Second, of that group, how many had the talent to restore our national prominence?  Those that had a high opinion of Heacock's recruiting abilities are alarmed at the massive turnover.  Those that felt that half the team under Heacock consisted of D2 players applaud the turnover.  Like all coaches, Wolford gets three years to prove himself.  If we fail to make the playoffs by 2012, I and many others will be calling for his removal.  But even if Wolford can not get the job done, it does not change the fact that Heacock failed.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 01:16:52 PM »
I am not sure that 3-years will be fair Wick, unless his a really bad. If you are of the camp that we have D2 players ...3-years is needed just to get the caliber up, and we need to look deeper into the progress that will have been made by then. I remember calling for Tressel's head and the very next year, we had a great year ...the first of many. It took him almost 5-years. JT inherited a very good team.

I look at each year independently. I would have let coach H go in 2005 ...I would not have let him go when they did. Barring obvious issues, I am not even going to consider any type of change (if even needed) for about 5 years. Remember, a winning team at YSU is a multi-step process:

1. Winning record
2. Making post-season
3. Winning conference
4. advancing further in the post-season
5. Winning a national title.

What if we only get through step-1 in 3-years? I look at how far along we are each year.