Author Topic: Vikings win  (Read 10584 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Vikings win
« on: February 12, 2011, 09:44:15 PM »
Outscored by 15 at the FT line and lose by 10. Darn darn darn

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310430325
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Vikings win
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 08:46:13 AM »
We let a 6-2 guard get 20 rebounds on us.  How embarrassing.  Can we at least recruit 1 inside player that can play?  How does every Horizon League team have 4 or 5 players 6'-8" or taller that actually contribute and we have none?  Recruiting budget my ASS!  We choose to go across country to sign the
6'-4" Juco.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 04:48:52 PM »
Exactly, what I thought and felt for years PRIDE.  We continue to be one decent big man and one decent scoring wing player away from being a factor in this league.  Yet we constantly recruit 6-3 and 6-12 guards.  What gives?

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 05:49:13 PM »
We had a guy a few years ago that could rebound and score @ guard. wasnt his nickname Q...Quin Humphries..the thing that bothers me is that the Guy that lit us up was a get we could have possible had...he had no offers other than Cleve state..but Slocum has already admitted he cant recruit Ohio..a defeatist attitude gets you nowhere..he was never a top notch D 2 coach..yea he got 16 to 18 wins but never did much post season...
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 08:56:04 PM »
Damn, I meant 6-2 point guards.  A little proof reading goes a long way!   I love the way our team competes night in, night out; but this losing so many games in the last five minutes is really painful.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:19:38 PM »
Dmorton-

I wish I knew why we cannot land a big man or two.  Plenty of 6-7 to 6-9 guys in juco and in our general area of Ohio and W. Pa.  What about recruiting the Pittsburgh area they always have 10-15 guys go D1 from that area each year?  I see we lost Tre Brown from Harding to Cleveland St.  You are not kidding when you said Slocum cannot recruit Ohio.  We cannot even get the D1 local prospects to come here.  D'andre Brown went to Cleve. St and the kid from Kennedy Christian who's name escapes me went to UNC-Greensboro and is doing really good.   I just want to see a solid winning year sometime in my lifetime.  Maybe I am asking too much.

Offline southbeach

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:58:52 AM »
Hey Pride Kyle Randall is the kid from Kennedy who went to UNC Greensboro. He is doing OK at Greenboro but not sure he would improve our guard play. We do have two pretty good kids at that position and they are freshman and sophmore. Marsall Holden was Kyles running mate at guard for a couple of years at Kennedy. He finally graduated from Farrell. He is currently at San Jacinto JC. I honestly don't know if we tried to recruit either one. We did recruit Blair Rosenblad who was an upperclass team mate of both at Kennedy.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
In that controversial Vindicator interview with Strollo, Scalzo noted that in the past decade the Mahoning Valley sent about 20 athletes to the National Football League but only one kid played DI basketball for four full seasons (several began in such programs then transferred to a lower level.)  Those of you who criticize Slocum have plenty of shortcomings to emphasize, but the man cannot be blamed for failing to recruit nonexistent local DI prospects.  The absolutely putrid nature of local high school basketball might be the single most significant drawback for YSU, regardless of the head coach. If you do not believe that, try watching a televised replay of a local high school basketball game. 

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 02:26:11 PM »
I personally like Slocum, and hope he gets one more year with the guys on the team now.  That's if they stay together,but that is never the case.  But darn it, please get some 6-8, 6-9 guys to help Eargle out and contribute around the basket.   We constantly get beat underneath and don't have enough scoring on the wing position or center position.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
If you do not believe that, try watching a televised replay of a local high school basketball game. 

So right.  Unwatchable.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 07:43:53 PM »
In that controversial Vindicator interview with Strollo, Scalzo noted that in the past decade the Mahoning Valley sent about 20 athletes to the National Football League but only one kid played DI basketball for four full seasons (several began in such programs then transferred to a lower level.)  Those of you who criticize Slocum have plenty of shortcomings to emphasize, but the man cannot be blamed for failing to recruit nonexistent local DI prospects.  The absolutely putrid nature of local high school basketball might be the single most significant drawback for YSU, regardless of the head coach. If you do not believe that, try watching a televised replay of a local high school basketball game. 

http://www.kentstatesports.com/sports/mbkb/2010-11/
http://www.gozips.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10800&SPID=4338&SPSID=47195

Wick usually i agree with you but on the the main reason that YSU Basketball is so bad is not due to lack of local talent..the links show what Kent and Akron our neighbors have on their roster..not alot of local flavor....our Coach is the Heacock of recruiting..HE DOESNT BELIEVE HE CAN RECRUIT OHIO ...if you believe it it will happen..hate to bring football up...but Wolford has a completely different mindset..he recruits on the offensive not the defensive...he sells the area, the university and administration watch the recruit video...maybe Slocum needs to watch it as well
A Penguin for life!!!