Author Topic: Congrats...YSU Coaches / Staff  (Read 10804 times)

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Congrats...YSU Coaches / Staff
« on: February 03, 2011, 10:20:50 AM »
Congrats to the YSU coaches....staff.....and administration....on paper it looks like all your travels
and hard work has paid off...very impressed with this years recruiting class....best of luck moving
forward....

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Congrats...YSU Coaches / Staff
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:53:48 AM »
Shouldn't we hold off congratulations until we see if any of these kids can truly play?? Just sayin....

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:11:40 AM »
"on paper".......can I at least congratulate them on that...and there efforts..?....!!.....

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:51:18 AM »
In the old days when we recruited a kid outside the area, we definitely had to wait until we saw him to form impressions.  Internet video and television coverage of high school games changed that.  IP is correct to suggest caution, but the video on these kids looks very good.  For example, I watched Stubbs from Maple Heights play in the state championship game in consecutive years.  He was a dominating player.  To me, he was more dangerous than Teague, simply because he produced against quality competition and Ursuline didn't play anybody in the playoffs.  Some of our other recruits look just as impressive.  As someone else pointed out on another thread, we will finally have DI size.  And on paper, at least, we would seem to have true competition at every position.  The only real concerns that I have are the academic abilities of the jucos and the Harding player that could not get into Michigan.

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:27:17 PM »
I agree WICK....!!.....

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 12:52:04 PM »
In my eyes, the only real way to tell a players worth when recruited before they play here is..who did we beat out to get the player? Who else is recruiting them? Some of our local recruits chose us over schools such as Lake Erie College, etc. These may be players who are only on partial schollies. The national guys--I'd love to know who else recruited/offered them. That will clue you in to how they may pan out.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »
In my eyes, the only real way to tell a players worth when recruited before they play here is..who did we beat out to get the player? Who else is recruiting them? Some of our local recruits chose us over schools such as Lake Erie College, etc. These may be players who are only on partial schollies. The national guys--I'd love to know who else recruited/offered them. That will clue you in to how they may pan out.

Great point. I always look at the list of who has made offers. It is hard at our level to get this though ..partials and such. I commented in the other thread that Pratt took YSU over Missouri State and Southern Utah. Not power teams, but both coached exceptionally well, with good recruiting coaches. I consider that a win for coach W. I think I may try to add this to the bios I am creating for the site.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 05:54:23 PM »
Agree with IP........been in the stands way to many years to
not know "the proof is in the pudding"....one game or high school
season, does not a player make.

Caution.......don't raise that glory flag to quickly.  I have in the past and
WOW it is a bitter pill to swallow.

Have to add this.....just for agitation...."the magic of the Tressel years is gone"
sorry, IP, had to do it!

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 10:19:52 AM »
you are not going to hit a home run with every recruit....but when you see accomplishments such as:

AAAAA All-State selection as a wide receiver.
Region VI All-California First-Team selection as an all-purpose player on offense
Pinellas County Defensive Player of the Year as a linebacker
 Pacific Conference Defensive Player of the Year
First-team Division II All-Ohio selection as a wide receiver..................

How can you not be optimistic....when was the last time YSU had a list of newcomers like this...?.....

I lived in Florida for 5 years....for those of you not familiar with Pinellas County....that area has churned out
a number of high caliber NFL players...this Terry Johnson could turn out to be all everything before its all
over...

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2024, 08:45:19 AM »
Italian Penguin and Pita…where have you been! Good to see you back!