Author Topic: YSU to Name Ethan Faulkner MBB Coach!  (Read 7260 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU to Name Ethan Faulkner MBB Coach!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2024, 06:31:43 PM »
My concern is the assistants on staff.  Will they follow Calhoun or stay?  Any info on this ???

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2024, 07:27:49 PM »
As I suspected just Reese is on the ysusports.com website.  So, to answer your question it appears they're gone.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2024, 07:54:19 PM »
As I suspected just Reese is on the ysusports.com website.  So, to answer your question it appears they're gone.

Just out of curiosity, did Calhoun take them, did they not want to stay or did Faulkner not want to retain them. L know Calhoun brought two of them with him to YSU from Fairmont State.
Hope new coach has already had some new ones in the work.

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2024, 08:06:01 PM »
My concern is the assistants on staff.  Will they follow Calhoun or stay?  Any info on this ???
I know of one for sure that is going with Calhoun.. that’s Paul Molinari. He was with Calhoun at Fairmont, brought him over to YSU, and now also heading to Utah St.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2024, 08:14:26 PM »
I just read on the YSU sports website, that all the assistant coaches on the women’s basketball program are gone also. Did any of them were retained or did YSU not list them until new contracts are finalized.
It looks like the head coaches for both programs will be busy filling the coaches’ vacancies.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2024, 08:23:19 PM »
Molinari is probably going to USU and not sure about the other two.  Coach Faulkner has a lot of work to do between recruiting and putting together a coaching staff.  Almost forgot he has to rerecruit the players from last season.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2024, 08:57:12 PM »
If you ask me this is a lot like the Phillips hire.  On the job training with limited resources for assistant coaches.  Also, I would think Faulkner has to be one of the youngest coaches in D1.  Hopefully his enthusiasm and hunger make up for his inexperience.

Offline PeteGuinYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2024, 08:46:15 AM »
Molinari is probably going to USU and not sure about the other two.  Coach Faulkner has a lot of work to do between recruiting and putting together a coaching staff.  Almost forgot he has to rerecruit the players from last season.
Paul Molinari, Manny Robinson and Ben Asher are all going to Utah State with Coach Calhoun.  Utah State press conference today to introduce Jerrod

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2024, 08:47:43 AM »
If you ask me this is a lot like the Phillips hire.  On the job training with limited resources for assistant coaches.  Also, I would think Faulkner has to be one of the youngest coaches in D1.  Hopefully his enthusiasm and hunger make up for his inexperience.

He definitely has enthusiasm!

From a February 20 article: "Tevon Saddler, the youngest coach in Division I men’s basketball, has Nicholls State in its accustomed position near the top of the Southland Conference heading into his 29th birthday on Wednesday."

Faulkner is 33

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2024, 11:15:18 AM »
I just have one question about Faulkner. Was he actively engaged along with Calhoun in recruiting from the transfer portal over the last two seasons?  If he was, we might be okay. But if Faulkner just recruited freshmen and had little hands-on experience with the portal, then the program is in serious trouble.

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2024, 01:10:09 PM »
I just have one question about Faulkner. Was he actively engaged along with Calhoun in recruiting from the transfer portal over the last two seasons?  If he was, we might be okay. But if Faulkner just recruited freshmen and had little hands-on experience with the portal, then the program is in serious trouble.

Gabe Dynes' dad was actively pulling for Faulkner to get the promotion. Faulkner also had a lot to do with Langdon transferring in this season as well.

Offline IronGuin14

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2024, 01:24:58 PM »
Losing Ben Asher is going to be tough. He was on the Silver Waves 2024 Rising Stars for Mid-Majors and I believe he was responsible for a lot of recruiting. I feel pretty good about Faulkner - great hire!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2024, 02:21:02 PM »

Gabe Dynes' dad was actively pulling for Faulkner to get the promotion. Faulkner also had a lot to do with Langdon transferring in this season as well.

Hopefully, Faulkner also had something to do with recruiting Gabe so we might be able to keep him this year.
Among the recruits from the portal last year, Langdon clearly was not as goos as Reid, Thompson and Burns. I hope Faulkner also had some responsibility in bringing in these three.
If he was inspirational in bring in all 4 last year, we might be ok in bringing in good players via the portal this year. We will find out soon enough.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2024, 06:44:00 AM »
Good support from a former HC at NKU.  We need to be patient with him.  Recruiting is the key.  We have not lost too much in the transfer portal so far.  So hopefully rest decide to stay.