Author Topic: Report: Coach to Utah State?  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Report: Coach to Utah State?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 06:56:04 AM »
I wish him luck.  He steps into a 28 win team that had made the tournament.   Good spot.  Now who.and do we have a national search for the head job?  We cannot wait to fill this spot recruiting season now.  I expect to hear about more transfers out of the program.   Complete new team next season.   

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 07:09:31 AM »
I wish him luck.  He steps into a 28 win team that had made the tournament.   Good spot.  Now who.and do we have a national search for the head job?  We cannot wait to fill this spot recruiting season now.  I expect to hear about more transfers out of the program.   Complete new team next season.

I also wish him success.
AD has to know this is coming. Hopefully, he has already had someone in the pipeline, just as our women’s program. It is critical to have a jump in the portal.

Calhoun’s departure might have something to do with some of our current players entering the portal. It would not be a surprise that we will have more, including de-commission of some of the incoming players.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 07:39:03 AM »
Good bye, good luck, have a nice life!

Unless Strollo pulls off a minor miracle, a lot of those new seats may be empty for a while
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 09:17:29 AM »
His decision is based on money and money alone.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 09:22:17 AM »
It was a good run under coach C and I'm grateful that he came here and worked hard to get YSU to the top of the league.  I wish Jerrod the best of luck and success at Utah State.

My gut tells me that Ethan Faulkner might be the next coach and he was probably influential in getting Dynes,Adrian Nelson,and Langdon with his backround at N Kentucky.   Bottom line is can he recruit and navigate the transfer portal and the NIL game like Calhoun did.   Not sure if he has the Charisma that Coach C has but he might have other gifts that can lead the program.   

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 09:46:46 AM »
My vote is for Faulkner.

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 10:36:17 AM »
Take NDSU’s Coach Dave Richman!!!!   He’s all yours!!!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 10:37:24 AM »
My vote is for Faulkner.

I 2nd that vote.   The guy has been at YSU five seasons so i'm sure he has established some ties and ralationships with the hs coaches through out the area.  Hopefully he can keep some of the guys while a new coach might cause an overall exodus. 
It seems it would be a easy transition and I'm hoping he can keep the momentum going.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 10:38:42 AM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 11:17:58 AM »
Failing to get the West Virginia job, Calhoun turned to plan B: a huge salary increase and all the pressure that comes with it.

At this point in time, our roster for '24-'25 is a wasteland. 25 losses minimum. Of course, you could have said the exact same thing in late March one year ago, and Calhoun somehow rebuilt effectively.

I don't envy the new coach, whoever that might be. Unrealistic expectations from the fan base and an empty roster.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2024, 11:38:22 AM »
The pressure with definitely be on Coach Calhoun with Utah State making 5 of the last 6 NCAA tournaments.  Will DJ Burns follow him there?

Knew this day would come eventually, but can't help but be disappointed.  Coach brought a winning culture to the program and made YSU basketball exciting, but struggled postseason failing to get to the promise land; in fact, just 1 appearance in the Horizon League semis not even eclipsing what Slocum did.

Obviously this was why no post-season tourneys for YSU and I'm sure why Burns and Lovelace hit the portal.

The pressure will also be on the new coach to keep the winning going and try not lose the excitement and crowds of recent years.

Offline Pap_Attack95

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2024, 01:18:43 PM »
@21WFMJSports
  Per public records request, Jerrod Calhoun gets a 5 year contract worth a base salary of $625,000 plus an additional $300,000 in media rights compensation at Utah State.
He’ll also get annual increase of $25,000, every April 1.
He can also earn $350,000 in bonuses

@21WFMJSports
  Calhoun has an assistants salary pool of $750,000 & $150,000 for men’s basketball operations & administrative positions.