Author Topic: Horizon League Coaches/Portal  (Read 9540 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon League Coaches/Portal
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2024, 05:46:27 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy on the state of YSU MBB program/portal

https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/local-sports/2024/03/penguins-continued-upward-trajectory/

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2024, 06:52:10 AM »
Sounds like he kind of expects some to possibly transfer out of the program.   Hopefully not. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2024, 07:16:30 AM »
Different times now...Freshman not getting playing time will look to move on. Transfer portal is our best friend and worst enemy.   Money biggest issue in keeping players this day and age.  It's all money and playing time.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2024, 09:12:32 AM »
Obviously doesn't sound like there's any interest in playing in a post-season tourney.  I had said in another topic they are bringing back the CIT tournament. 

"With Reid, Thompson, Burns and Langdon finishing out their eligibility, YSU will again be the in portal this offseason looking for new additions, especially if some current players decide to transfer to go play elsewhere, which is also a possibility."

Certainly Rush doesn't have another year of eligibility does he?  Isn't Bates done too?  Sucks he got hurt because I think he could have contributed.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2024, 02:05:19 PM »
John Lovelace has entered the portal.  Disappointed, but can't say I'm 100%.  Seemed like his mins and production dipped the second half of the season

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2024, 03:37:18 PM »
John Lovelace has entered the portal.  Disappointed, but can't say I'm 100%.  Seemed like his mins and production dipped the second half of the season

Hate to see a guy who was brought in out of HS leave the program.   John started to shoot the ball better from 3 this season and had many sensational put backs and follow up dunks.   Talented player who I thought got deserving minutes.  This could be a NIL situation were he or his family might got word that he's leaving money on the table.  I'm only speculating.
Lovelace was never going to be a banger so his skill set was a wing shooter/slasher.  kind of a poor man BJ freeman.    His best basketball might be a head of him.  Not happy about this but coach C has shown that he can go out and find players.  Hopefully he'll find someone as good or better.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2024, 03:42:35 PM »
Going to be a big loss.  He probably would have started this coming year

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2024, 04:16:40 PM »

Yes. I am disappointed in him leaving also.The entire season, I was pushing for a 6’7” Lovelace over the 5’9” Langdon at guard to compliment Thompson. However, coach preferred Langdon.

He brought lots of energy to the game. With the success of UWM, he might be heading back to his hometown.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2024, 06:26:53 PM »
  Milwaukee had a nice run in the Horizon tournament .   YSU beat UMW twice this season so if he goes there then he'll be Benedict Lovelace in my eyes.  I'm hoping he goes out to another conference.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2024, 07:58:10 PM »

Yes. I am disappointed in him leaving also.The entire season, I was pushing for a 6’7” Lovelace over the 5’9” Langdon at guard to compliment Thompson. However, coach preferred Langdon.

He brought lots of energy to the game. With the success of UWM, he might be heading back to his hometown.

I agree.  I was a big fan of Lovelace and was really excited about him going into this season and was hoping he'd stick around.  It just felt like we didn't get enough out of him.  I liked his energy, his defensive ability, and I thought his shooting improved.  Coach always talked highly of him as well.  He was averaging 10 points a game & scored in double figures 4 times through the first 11 games, but only got in double figures 2 times in the final 21 games and his ppg dropped to 6.6.  He only scored a total of 4 points combined in the final 3 games.

Langdon brought leadership, but his size was an issue and struggled shooting the ball.  I don't know if the year off from basketball hurt him or not.  I honestly would have rather had Shermar stay, but I think his size and injury last year cut his playing time down.   

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2024, 08:56:41 PM »
  Tahj Staveskie  entered the portal .  He was the starting pg for Canisius his freshmen year.  If you guys remembered he was taking it to us early(2 years ago) in that game and really looked good.   Not sure if he was injured or it was something else but he didn't play this season.

Being from Sandusky Ohio there could be some interest.  Would coach kick the tires ?

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2024, 12:32:40 PM »
So DJ Burns has another year of eligibility!? https://twitter.com/underratedd__/status/1770104649544012062

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2024, 01:11:12 PM »
these kids change schools like they do underwear, my God.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2024, 02:14:23 PM »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2024, 02:19:12 PM »
these kids change schools like they do underwear, my God.

Can’t blame the kids looking for more $$$ with the highest nil. Money speaks, specially for those with very little or no chance making the NBA.

Make the maximum nil $$ and possibly play a few years oversea. Get all the money available, then go on with the regular profession.