Author Topic: Horizon League Coaches/Portal  (Read 9482 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Horizon League Coaches/Portal
« on: March 11, 2024, 11:24:49 AM »
As expected, both Matt Crenshaw from IUPUI and Mike Davis from Detroit were let go over the weekend.

Several players from both schools have entered the portal including Detroit's leading scorer Marcus Tankersley, who avg 16.6 a game.  I don't know if that's someone YSU would look at or not. They are obviously in need of some guards.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon League Coaches/Portal
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 03:50:08 PM »
Add Detroit's Jayden Stone who avg 20.8 ppg. Their starting guards avg 37.4 ppg

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 05:56:10 PM »
Stone was already a senior. I would want tankersley

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 07:00:10 PM »
Stone was already a senior. I would want tankersley

Stone still has a year left due to COVID, Tankersley has 2 years left.

2 other IUPUI players have entered bringing them up to 4 in the portal

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 08:04:05 PM »
I like them both and they both can score the ball .    Got to wonder why they couldn't lead Detroit to more than one win.  Would coach C take a look ?

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 08:15:22 PM »
I like them both and they both can score the ball .    Got to wonder why they couldn't lead Detroit to more than one win.  Would coach C take a look ?

My thoughts exactly. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 10:57:26 PM »
I'd take them both.   Maybe you get one and the other will follow.   

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 10:59:10 PM »
We have to stop with the one year wonders every year.  We don't win in the tournament.   Maybe a mix.   Let's hope we don't lose any from our roster.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 11:07:52 PM »
IUPUI has two of their best players enter the portal in DJ Jackson and Jlynn Counter.

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 10:35:21 AM »
i am not saying this is or isn't the formula for success but look at Oakland's key contributors. 3 of the top guys have been there 3 or 4 years since day 1. Refreshing to see in this day and age of NCAA and the NIL. Transfers will obviously be a contributing factor but I think having a few "program" guys certainly helps.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 11:04:35 AM »
Hopefully we get some HS players and not all  portal transfers...one can hope

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 11:32:48 AM »
We are playing a completely new style of basketball now. Call it portal play if you will. It’s going to do exactly what it did for us. He’s going to give you more wins on average, but there’s no way it’s gonna let you go into any preseason during season, postseason tournament and win. It’s just not there, I expected exactly what happened to us to happen I mean, maybe if we can get a couple more pre-and midseason tournaments under our belt will be more prepared but I still don’t think so. We have to stop making major adjustments to fit our players and start recruiting good players recruit players that fit our system try to go back to the old way as much as possible. 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 11:42:37 AM »
i am not saying this is or isn't the formula for success but look at Oakland's key contributors. 3 of the top guys have been there 3 or 4 years since day 1. Refreshing to see in this day and age of NCAA and the NIL. Transfers will obviously be a contributing factor but I think having a few "program" guys certainly helps.

Yes I agree.  I know Coach has been adamant about getting "old" and staying "old" with guys that know how to win, but he didn't make some comments of late some of these teams having guys that have been there and played together. 

I hope we can keep Lovelace and Farmer, but you have to wonder if Lovelace is getting antsy about wanting to start.  He was really good at times this year, but a lot of nights didn't contribute much and not a lot of mins. 

If Farmer can be a more consistent shooter, he could be a real threat.  He's quick and can play good defense. 

Can't imagine Dynes and Zorgvol not returning, but you never know.

Obviously need guards and a go to guy that can score.  I'd like to see a little more size as well.  I think Langdon's size hurt him, kind of reminded me of Shemar

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2024, 02:33:20 PM »
Farmer I don't see leaving.  Lovelace might.   As for the bigs who knows.   I hope Breland is as good as coach says.  Christian redshirted.   Crap shoot so far.   As of today no none has left or entered the portal which leads me to believe we are not done with the season.  Anyone hearing anything about postseason possibilities?

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2024, 08:33:17 PM »
We obviously have length coming back with Dynes and Zorgvol and a few athletic wings in Lovelace and Farmer.   David Wilkerson is supposed to be THE point guard.  That is IF they all come back.  Not sure what the other 3 frosh provide or if they all stay.

Needs.   Another point guard for sure if not two.     Need a couple of guys who can be more consistent from the 3 point line and a power forward/banger .   

Big list and a list that would not be any different to what other programs also want.   Coach has shown the last 2 years that he can go into the portal and deliver the goods.

I'm not there yet with the view that the one year type of transfers will hinder YSU from advancing to a NCAA birth opposed to having guys in the program 3-4 years.  I'm all for bringing in talented freshmen and seeing them develop like Michael Akuche did but YSU hasn't historically shown they can.  Maybe an exception was DQ who left the program early although I can't think of anyone else that left and it hurt the program.