Author Topic: It’s officially Football Season  (Read 6029 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: It’s officially Football Season
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2024, 02:25:21 PM »
Shannon looked rusty. The kid from Springfield out on the other side of the state looked the best.  Brungard was 2nd beat with Blanc probably 3rd.  Hard to tell because of the wind.  Seems like coach on the field after the game introduced new players .  Hopefully they are defensive.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2024, 04:27:16 PM »
Highlights fro 2024 Spring game:

https://youtu.be/iaslsoue6qk?si=lS1HAC0r-NkL-wJ5

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2024, 01:02:47 PM »
If you read the Vindy article it seems between the lines Phillips wants Shannon to be the guy.  Again is he? Accuracy quick decision making is what’s needed in aD1 QB.  A good coach builds around a players strength. My guess is the Springfield Kid has that more than the others.  Do we need another Crenshaw experience.  I feel this is where Phillips fails in not seeing what’s right in front of him.  This team right now lacks a true chunk play game breaker.  I see a sub 500 record this coming year especially in conference.  This year we will need his best coaching job ever.  When you had the influx of transfers D leave after he said maybe our scheme was too complicated? Not all were told to leave.  They know what’s up and next year is a rebuild.  Depth means a lot if you have horses to win it.  We don’t have those game changing horses right now.  Think about it we have had to go to there’s transfer portal for RBs and our number 1 receiver.  What happened about the off field incident with tbe transfer WR and he was with other players.  Where’s the media for that?
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2024, 02:28:42 PM »
If you read the Vindy article it seems between the lines Phillips wants Shannon to be the guy.  Again is he? Accuracy quick decision making is what’s needed in aD1 QB.  A good coach builds around a players strength. My guess is the Springfield Kid has that more than the others.  Do we need another Crenshaw experience.  I feel this is where Phillips fails in not seeing what’s right in front of him.  This team right now lacks a true chunk play game breaker.  I see a sub 500 record this coming year especially in conference.  This year we will need his best coaching job ever.  When you had the influx of transfers D leave after he said maybe our scheme was too complicated? Not all were told to leave.  They know what’s up and next year is a rebuild.  Depth means a lot if you have horses to win it.  We don’t have those game changing horses right now.  Think about it we have had to go to there’s transfer portal for RBs and our number 1 receiver.  What happened about the off field incident with tbe transfer WR and he was with other players.  Where’s the media for that?

As I have posted in the past, imo, if Phillips started Davidson at ehe beginning of the season instead of Crenshaw, we would have made the playoff that year.
Shannon might be the chosen one (like Crenshaw), however, in the spring game, I did not see him having the ability to find the open receiver (like Crenshaw) and he put head down and tan (like Crenshaw). I hope Phillips will not make the same mistakes (like Not starting Davidson).

As it turned out Davidson was a pretty good QB who got some post season visibility in a demonstration game. He probably will not be NFL draft material, however he might get invited to some rookie camp. We shall see in a couple of weeks.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2024, 05:44:27 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindyon HC assessments of the spring practices:

https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/local-sports/2024/04/phillips-recaps-ysus-spring-football-growth/

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2024, 02:59:23 PM »
Philips said we don't have to worry about the QB position.   Is he smoking weed or what?..we don't have a QB on roster to win but a few games at best.  We cannot depend on running QBs and avoid passing. Disaster if we are.  Defense is young and unproven
.. could be a long year.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2024, 07:08:26 PM »
Broc Lowry from Canfield has entered the transfer portal

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2024, 07:09:28 PM »
Philips said we don't have to worry about the QB position.   Is he smoking weed or what?..we don't have a QB on roster to win but a few games at best.  We cannot depend on running QBs and avoid passing. Disaster if we are.  Defense is young and unproven
.. could be a long year.

Lol, I guess it all depends on coach’s perspective. Things are often relative. In comparison to DB, LB, DL, he might  not be worry much about QB.

Offline IronGuin14

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2024, 07:42:42 PM »
pretty wild to see the roster this offseason absolutely implode... it has been a slow burn... 11-defensive players (2-deep depth) have entered the portal so far... will us fans get answers from Coach on what's happening??

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2024, 07:08:36 PM »
If you think YSU has had turnover in the portal... look at Murray State! 42 players in the portal!!!!

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeelys-tip-sheet-spring-football-transfer-portal-opens-and-so-far-all-quiet-on-the-bison-front

"It was January 2023 when the Football Championship Subdivision was breathlessly asking: "What is going on at North Dakota State?" A dozen players had entered the transfer portal since the end of the regular season and great football minds from Brookings to Grand Forks were gleefully speculating that things were going haywire in Fargo.

Today, a little more than a year later, losing 12 players in the transfer portal seems quaint for most FCS squads.

The spring football window officially opened for the portal Tuesday and activity was busy. Actually, it's been busy since the end of last season for most schools. Of the 11 Missouri Valley Football Conference football programs, just two — NDSU and South Dakota State — have fewer than 10 players that have entered the portal.*

(* - That's as of now. Like, right this second. The portal stays open until May 1, so it's likely both the Bison and Jackrabbits will have more players enter. The key is whether those players are starters, key contributors or fourth-stringers.)

Nobody else has been as lucky.

North Dakota lost two more offensive linemen starters to the portal Tuesday, guard Sam Hagen and center Cade Borud. They join two other Fighting Hawks offensive linemen who entered after last season: tackle Easton Kilty and top backup Braden Bryant. With the graduation of Donny Ventrelli, UND will have to replace five of its top six o-linemen. The Hawks football program just isn't getting any puck luck.

But overall, UND has only 10 players in the portal from last season.

Compare that to Murray State, which has had a whopping 42 players go into the portal since last December. It's likely new Racers head coach Jody Wright saw his roster and invited a couple of dozen players to leave and will replace them with transfers he brings in ... but 42 is a Deion Sanders-like number when it comes to transfers.

Youngstown State has lost 26 players since the end of last season; Indiana State has lost 20; South Dakota has lost 15; Missouri State, Southern Illinois and Illinois State have lost 13 each; and Northern Iowa has lost an even 12.

We tried to tell all the other FCS programs that were gloating when the Bison had a dozen players in the portal that your day is coming, too. It's here. Told you so."

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2024, 02:50:31 PM »
Murray St had a new good since Dean Hood left to take a position at Kentucky. So lots of turnover was expected
A Penguin for life!!!

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2024, 08:18:32 PM »
I saw that YSU received two  transfer commits from Notre Dame college (D2).  One was a wr that had 0 stats,the other is a DB that had 16 tackles for the season.  I hope there is something more than their numbers.