Author Topic: It’s officially Football Season  (Read 6192 times)

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: It’s officially Football Season
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2024, 01:15:55 PM »
Troy Jakubec hitting the portal.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2024, 07:30:23 AM »
Sound like we could be in for a tough year on D.  Basically starting from scratch. So your depth guys are starters and now your depth is gone due to transfers.  Not a good sign
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2024, 08:51:30 AM »
Same plan as last year which resulted in worst D since Wolford.  But this year we have less experienced players.  As long as the O scores 45 points per game we should be OK. 

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2024, 11:00:07 AM »
Good Luck with that!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2024, 11:35:01 AM »
Good Luck with that!
Gone are our starting QB & #1 receiver…..we don’t even know who will be our QB yet.
I assume Tribune/Vindy will print another featured story on offense next couple of days. At least, king gets this year as our running back.

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2024, 10:57:19 AM »
UNLV DB Isaiah Hackett, who played at Warren G. Harding and Youngstown East in high school, is transferring home to YSU.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2024, 01:57:34 PM »
Can someone list the defenders that went to the portal and what school they're at ?   Looks like the defense was decimated with guys going elsewhere.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2024, 02:11:07 PM »
Can someone list the defenders that went to the portal and what school they're at ?   Looks like the defense was decimated with guys going elsewhere.
The links to the Tribune/Vindy article that I posted on this subject matter on 4/10 listed some defensive players we had lost to either graduation or portal.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2024, 04:55:31 PM »
Ok. Now that we got another disappointing basketball season behind us. Time to focus on spring ball and who our starting QB is going to be!  Looking forward to spring practice and see who starts to make some moves.

Go Guins!
Ending was disappointing but with 4 new players, a 20 win season after last year's record season was NOT another disappointing basketball season. That being said , I really look forward to football. Absolutely should be playoffs again.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2024, 05:05:02 PM »
We talk about rebuilding and defensive concerns. Last year's D was terrible. Most of what we lost couldn't play.
D is better because of the portal. King will help (I thought this was understood all year last season as a covid year?)
Biggest lose is Oliver. I think he can play on Sunday, and won't be an easy replacement. beau should be fine and don't. Ount out Shannon.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2024, 12:00:03 PM »
Shannon does not look good.  Too much run 1st with him.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2024, 01:58:51 PM »
Shannon does not look good.  Too much run 1st with him.
The Springfield local kid (#11) looked good. There were some really hard hits on the field. Shannon didn’t seem to have abilities to find any open receivers. He reminded me of Crenshaw, put his head down and ran.
Beau had several passes knocked down at the LOS. He either telegraphed his passes or being too short, or both.
Some good runs by the backs. King only played one series, I believe.
It was difficult to judge the passing game because of the strong wind.
I thought Shannon was the least effective among all 4 QBs.
Other comments?

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2024, 02:22:32 PM »
Thoughts from spring game. QB is the biggest question. Brungard and Shannon ran a lot!! Not good. Hard to tell with splitting receivers and tight ends but run first was definitely part of the scheme. It was windy also. Brungard had several passes batted down at the line and I think if Shannon works with receivers all summer he could be the starter come week 4. As far as throwing it. Schondelmeyer looked good as well as Blanc but they ran it a lot less. D line will be an issue. Depleted and we looked small up front on D. Fordham will be a nice addition to secondary as he broke up a few passes. Was very surprised they full live on the QBs today. Over all I would say B- to C+ as far as spring prep. Maybe a portal player or two on d line would help.

Go Guins

THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2024, 02:23:25 PM »
I'm sure the seasoned OC (sarcasm) we have will get the QB's ready for the fall. Is Mike Tomczak still involved with the program and if so does he help with QB development?