Author Topic: Horizon League Tourney Seeding  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon League Tourney Seeding
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2024, 07:37:08 PM »
Quit shooting those quick 3s

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2024, 07:54:22 PM »
Just 2-13 from 3 while CSU is 5-10. That & some bad turnovers are the difference.

Any word on why Enaruna is out?

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2024, 08:28:20 PM »
No idea what is a player control foul, versus a blocking call.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2024, 08:59:07 PM »
What an embarrassment!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2024, 09:03:36 PM »
Disgusting loss and CSU deserved it.  Home floor and CSU best player out. Ziggy and Thompson were sub-standard. Out rebounded and out fought .  Nice season but it seems meaningless as of right now.  Will YSU EVER make the NCAA Tournament ?   Not sure in my life time.

Crowed and DJ Burns showed up and that's about it.
Not sure if or what weenie tournament YSU might go to.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2024, 09:10:16 PM »
Do not deserve to be in any tournament after this!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2024, 09:24:39 PM »
As I have said all season, we just do not have a go to guy who can take over the game ( i.e. Cohill last year). We really do not deserve for the university to spend lots of $$ to buy us into another postseason game in view of the tight budget. This has been a good season and unfortunately, we didn’t peak at the right time.

We will see what we can do next year. Go Penguins, I am ready for football…

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2024, 09:43:07 PM »
Biggest game of the season and everything on the line and played the worst game of the season outside of the Michigan game...first double digit loss since that game.  It's hard to wrap your head when you consider CSU was playing their 3rd game in 6 days on the road without their best player.  YSU's last 2 home losses came without both teams' best player.

CSU outrebounded YSU 38-32, but it sure felt a lot more as they seemed to get every loose ball and hustle play went their way.  Turnovers were killer so many terrible passes.  Points off turnovers were 16-5 in favor of YSU.

5-31 from 3 that's just unimaginable.  DJ had a hell of game but was only 4-8 from the line.

To have the teams that YSU has had the last 2 years and not even make it past the semis is rough.  And that's 2 out of the last 3 years losing at home in the tourney, once to an underdog RMU and now a 10.5 underdog in CSU without their best player. 

This loss just really stings.  For as much as Coach has done turning YSU basketball into a winner, it's just demoralizing to not even be able to ever get to the Horizon League title game

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2024, 10:10:20 PM »
Taking 31 3's is unimaginable and the very reason YSU is going home.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2024, 10:55:04 PM »
I never felt confident with this years team.  I know the portal has changed everything, but there were too many one-year "rent a players" on this team.  There was no real inside game, unlike last years team.  If we were not hitting the three, we were in big trouble.  Too many poor shooting games.  Last year I thought we could play anyone in the country and not be embarrassed.  Last year's team was special. This year not so much.  But I really thought we would win the Horizon Tournament. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2024, 05:37:35 AM »
Tough loss.  We played our butts off but the refs were destined to call every thing on us and missed blatant calls on CSU.  Hats off to the vikings prepared for us with just one day prep and didn't even have Tristan to boot.  It felt like we couldn't get over the hump all night.   Maybe we will have one of the pay to play tournaments come calling.   We deserve it.  Not in a position for the NIT due to the NIT normally goes off of the NET RANKINGS.  We shall see.  Are we ever going to sniff the Ncaa tournament?  Feel bad for the players.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2024, 09:00:40 AM »
As I have said all season, we just do not have a go to guy who can take over the game ( i.e. Cohill last year). We really do not deserve for the university to spend lots of $$ to buy us into another postseason game in view of the tight budget. This has been a good season and unfortunately, we didn’t peak at the right time.

We will see what we can do next year. Go Penguins, I am ready for football…

I agree 100% with this.  As good as this year's team was I never had the confidence like I did with last year's team.  And like you said, I felt that team could compete with anyone and could have been dangerous if they made the NCAA. And really how they played OSU last year showed.

This year's team just didn't have that dominating feel, couldn't win the close games, didn't have that guy to take over or bail us out.  Coach had said earlier in the week he felt like if they got in the tourney they could be dangerous and no one would want to play us, but I'm not so sure.

While we were able to win the national TV games against Wright St, getting swept by Oakland and getting beat by Green Bay & CSU at home without their 2 best players were the daggers.  Just didn't feel like we were playing the best ball down the stretch, even the wins against RMU & Detroit weren't the greatest. 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2024, 09:05:35 AM »
Tough loss.  We played our butts off but the refs were destined to call every thing on us and missed blatant calls on CSU.  Hats off to the vikings prepared for us with just one day prep and didn't even have Tristan to boot.  It felt like we couldn't get over the hump all night.   Maybe we will have one of the pay to play tournaments come calling.   We deserve it.  Not in a position for the NIT due to the NIT normally goes off of the NET RANKINGS.  We shall see.  Are we ever going to sniff the Ncaa tournament?  Feel bad for the players.

I thought it was pretty poorly officiated, but that wasn't why YSU lost.  There were some bad no calls YSU and it seemed like every 50-50 call went CSU's way.

Every time it seemed like YSU could go on a run, they'd have a bad turnover or CSU would drain a shot at the end of the shot clock or get offensive rebounds.  It was the story of the entire game and why once YSU got down a few possessions they just couldn't basically get away from being down 5 or 6.

I kept waiting on a big run, but it never materialized.  Thought there was an opportunity at the end of the first half to get it down further than 6. I really thought we'd come out locked in in the 2nd half and go on a run. Made some stops on defense early on, but couldn't score, and the rest of the game played out how it was going.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2024, 09:56:31 AM »
Yes, it was a disappointing season but just think we won over 20 games had a home game for the tournament and we’re disappointed. The program is in the right direction. Even in these crazy times with the pay for play college athlete. It’s gonna be hard to develop and keep, those players by the way we used to recruit because if they become good, they’re gonna go to the money at least Coach Calhoun figured out a way to make us relevant if we can keep them and put together two or three more years than it becomes a true basketball program and then  You can recruit and develop and keep hopefully a few of those kids and then use the portal. The fill in the cracks time will tell.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2024, 11:38:35 AM »
poor effort poor defense too many 3's  Burns plays hard every game