Author Topic: Horizon League Tourney Seeding  (Read 5337 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Horizon League Tourney Seeding
« on: February 29, 2024, 09:09:57 AM »
YSU is going to be a 2 or 3 seed with a first round bye and a home game.  YSU could end up in a 3-way or 2-way tie for the regular season title if Oakland would lose to Detroit, but still can only be a 2 or 3 seed.  We need Milwaukee to beat GB at home on Saturday to get the 2 seed. Milwaukee can't improve their seeding, but you hope will want to beat their rival and guarantee themselves of a winning record.

So barring some crazy upsets, it would appear YSU will play Milwaukee, PFW or CSU.  I'm not sure who I'd rather see us play.  It took OT to beat Milwaukee twice and I feel they are the most dangerous team that won't get the first round bye.  We've struggled with PFW in recent years.  CSU has talent, but plays pretty inconsistent basketball.

One advantage you hope YSU has is they are the only team that doesn't play Saturday so in a way they almost get a double bye when it comes to rest.  Milwaukee, PFW & CSU are all at home though on Saturday and of course on Tuesday

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon League Tourney Seeding
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 09:20:00 AM »
I prefer to play CSU at home. UWM played us tough this year and PFW is a very talented and dangerous team (they had a net ranking of 52 in the beginning of the season).

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 09:32:27 AM »
I prefer to play CSU at home. UWM played us tough this year and PFW is a very talented and dangerous team (they had a net ranking of 52 in the beginning of the season).

I would agree with that.  PFW is 152 in the net now, CSU 203 and Milwaukee at 241.  If Milwaukee loses at home to GB they will drop event more.  YSU dropped 4 spots to 128 after their Detroit win.  I just looked at they were 127 last year. 

Offline PeteGuinYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 12:49:10 PM »
Here's the math...

YSU will finish as the #2 seed in the Horizon League Tournament with a Green Bay loss to Milwaukee.

YSU will finish as the #3 seed in the Horizon League Tournament with a Green Bay win over Milwaukee.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 12:28:27 PM »
Here is the bracket https://horizonleague.org/documents/2023/8/25/2024_Men_s_Basketball_Bracket_8_25_23.pdf

With YSU getting the #2 seed, the only thing that is certain is we won't play the winner of Milwaukee/Detroit. 

Most likely it would appear YSU will be playing CSU. 

The only way YSU would play IUPUI is if BOTH Detroit and IUPUI win and we all know the chances of that happening. 

If Detroit OR IUPUI wins, then YSU would get the winner of PFW/Robert Morris. 

The one thing at least about being the #2 seed is if there is an upset in the first round and that team then could knock off Oakland then YSU would be the beneficiary getting to play them.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 02:16:16 PM »
I'd rather us playing CSU instead of PFW.  We smashed them at home whereas we lost to pfw on the road and barely beat them at home.  Cleveland st is a good match up for us.  Just my thoughts

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 02:41:35 PM »
I'd rather us playing CSU instead of PFW.  We smashed them at home whereas we lost to pfw on the road and barely beat them at home.  Cleveland st is a good match up for us.  Just my thoughts

Yes, I also prefer to play CSU. Not only that we have already beaten them at home this season, PFW was ranked near #50 in NET in the beginning of the season. However, having said that, playing PFW at YSU would eliminate the possibility of facing them in their home court later in the tournament.

I considered the regular season results are for tournament seeding only. Any of the top 6 teams who “peaked at the right time” are capable of winning the whole thing and join the big dance.

I don’t even think any other team in this league will even be considered for the NIT. There are plenty more power 5 teams left to be selected for the NIT bringing in higher revenue than the mid major teams.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 02:53:16 PM »
Is this not the best possible bracket for YSU?  Barring an unlikely first round upset, to reach the championship game Oakland would need to beat Fort Wayne at home and probably Wright State in Indianapolis. We would need to get through Cleveland at home and then Milwaukee/Green Bay on the neutral court.

All-League selections are now out. Burns and Reid made second team, Thompson was third team, and Dynes was on the All-freshman team. Burns and Dynes also made the all-defensive team.

Slap in the face to Burns and YSU. How do you AVERAGE a double-double; record a double-double in 16 of the 20 league games, make the all-defensive team, and NOT earn a spot on the league first team?

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 03:22:41 PM »

Yes, I also prefer to play CSU. Not only that we have already beaten them at home this season, PFW was ranked near #50 in NET in the beginning of the season. However, having said that, playing PFW at YSU would eliminate the possibility of facing them in their home court later in the tournament.

I considered the regular season results are for tournament seeding only. Any of the top 6 teams who “peaked at the right time” are capable of winning the whole thing and join the big dance.

I don’t even think any other team in this league will even be considered for the NIT. There are plenty more power 5 teams left to be selected for the NIT bringing in higher revenue than the mid major teams.

Indiana Farmers Coliseum is IUPUI's home court not PFW.  It's 2 hours and 15 mins from PFW.

Yeah I tend to agree on the NIT. I don't think any team would have a strong enough resume to even be considered.  For YSU it probably would have needed wins against Louisiana and Dayton, at least wins against Oakland and Green Bay at home, maybe another road win or two, and a loss in the title game of the tourney to even have a remote shot.   

It will be interesting though if a lot of the teams that get selected for the NIT bail out.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 03:36:50 PM »
Is this not the best possible bracket for YSU?  Barring an unlikely first round upset, to reach the championship game Oakland would need to beat Fort Wayne at home and probably Wright State in Indianapolis. We would need to get through Cleveland at home and then Milwaukee/Green Bay on the neutral court.

All-League selections are now out. Burns and Reid made second team, Thompson was third team, and Dynes was on the All-freshman team. Burns and Dynes also made the all-defensive team.

Slap in the face to Burns and YSU. How do you AVERAGE a double-double; record a double-double in 16 of the 20 league games, make the all-defensive team, and NOT earn a spot on the league first team?

The semis are reseeded as well so if Milwaukee wins in the first 2 rounds and Oakland wins in the quarters, they would be playing them not YSU. 

Though YSU hasn't played GB with Reynolds, I'd much rather see YSU play GB than either Wright St or NKU. I think it could be tough for YSU to beat WS 3 times. And I think the same could be said for Oakland beating YSU 3 times.  NKU has had a lot of success in the tourney.

Of note with NKU, they already lost Sam Vinson earlier in the season due to injury now I see Cade Meyer left the program and Keeyan Itejere is injured.  Those 3 combined to avg 26 points.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 09:18:36 PM »

Indiana Farmers Coliseum is IUPUI's home court not PFW.  It's 2 hours and 15 mins from PFW.

Yeah I tend to agree on the NIT. I don't think any team would have a strong enough resume to even be considered.  For YSU it probably would have needed wins against Louisiana and Dayton, at least wins against Oakland and Green Bay at home, maybe another road win or two, and a loss in the title game of the tourney to even have a remote shot.   

It will be interesting though if a lot of the teams that get selected for the NIT bail out.

[ meant to imply PFW has the home field advantage because, like IUPUI, they both are part of the Purdue connections within the state of Indiana.

I understand that it iwill be difficult to beat Wright State 3 times in a single season. But, I think it is also difficult for Oakland to beat Ysu 3 times in the same season (with the 3rd time being  in a neutral court. If you recall, Oakland won at YSU with an incredible shooting night from beyond the 3 point line (almost 80%). I really do not believe they could do it again.

We need to play good perimeter defense. With the lack of height of Langdon, coach might need to put in Farmer and Lovelace early and frequently.

Go penguins.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 08:19:52 AM »
CSU it is.   Got my tickets Monday.   Hopefully we have a strong showing from fans.  Women's for 1st time this year drew less than 1k for a playoff game. But no promotions and time to get kids to the game.  Students are on break so it is up to the casual/diehards to come out in full force.  We should see a handful of CSU fans in the stands as well.   

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 08:43:34 AM »
I expect a big crowd, not sure if it'll be as big as last year's 5584 crowd.  While the crowds have been good all year, they haven't seemed as big as last year's.  Not sure if it was just the newness of having such a great team, first national home TV game, coming off a regular season championship, and then of course the NIT game. 

I'm sure the fact that it's CSU instead of PFW will bring in more CSU people.  It's also somewhat of a break for CSU because they played at home Saturday and of course last night and then the short travel. I think it would have been a lot harder if say they had to travel on Saturday and then a further travel to YSU.

I hope the week off for YSU isn't a detriment.  I'm worried we come out sluggish on offense, but hopefully we can play good defense and feed off the crowd. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 08:59:18 AM »
Mudclods I agree that they layoff might be an issue but coaches know how to manage that I hope.  I don't expect a blow out this time but a nail bitter to the end.   We played poor in Cleveland but good here against them.  I hope coach Calhoun had an idea it was going to be Cleveland so we are prepared.  Interesting to see if Dynes starts for the 4th time and not Rush.  It has worked so far.  Wear red everyone.   Red out the Beeghly

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2024, 09:00:56 AM »
We have to contain Tristan E. To some extent.  He is a future NBA player.