Author Topic: Detroit  (Read 3557 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Detroit
« on: February 26, 2024, 06:41:39 PM »
Last regular season game of the year.  Detroit has improved over the time since we beat the crap out of them at Detroit.   I don't think we can do that again.   I think we win by 20.   As long as we play defense like we did vs GB. 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 07:00:08 PM »
I'd have to think YSU is favored by 20 or so. 

Outside of their win against IUPUI, which they were favored, their last 3 losses have still been by 12 or more.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 07:36:04 PM »
But they were close until last 10 minutes or so. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 10:25:53 AM »
Nice article on Thompson.  He and burns are the spark plugs to the team for sure.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 11:40:49 AM »
Agree 100% on Thompson and Burns.  All the new transfers especially Ziggy and Langdon have been a vital to the program and Farmer has played way better the 2nd half of the season and all he needs is a little more consistency.  Zorgvol also has been decent in his allotted time.
It's too bad that Bates is done as other have said he gave valuable minutes .  Decent shooter and really good rebounder.

I'm sure the team will not take Detroit lightly especially since the Titans have played better and there is a lot on the line when it comes to seating but YSU should be able to win comfortably.

I think sometime we take it for granted that Coach has taken this program to the top of the league and has done it twice the last two seasons with all new players.  There's a lot of basketball still to be played but I can't wait to see what he does in the portal and recruiting after March.   Exciting times to be a penguin.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 01:07:43 PM »
1st he has to retain his current players before he concentrates on recruiting.  I believe he may lose some.  Hopefully not. Remember he has 2 players sitting out this year as redshirts that seem pretty good.  He needs to give them a chance to develop.  Then we can bring in transfers.   I'm sure he and his staff is all over this aspect.   Calhoun is a good recruiter.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 01:34:14 PM »
Coach had made a comment in one of the press conferences awhile back that he thought David Wilkerson may have been a starter had he not gotten hurt.

Hopefully Lovelace and Farmer return.  Would think Dynes & Zorgvol will, but who knows.

If all those return, YSU has 4 potential starters in Wilkerson, Lovelace, Farmer & Dynes.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 02:42:00 PM »
Mudclods I totally agree.  With any and we will have transfers we should again be a good team.  All depends on the schedule and what teams in conference make a push to get better.  I do know that Wright St brings back some and so does GB. But you never know in this day and age of the transfer portal.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 05:12:59 PM »
Never know who or who won't return.   I think we all had some surprises last year when some guys unexpectedly left and I'm sure this could happen this spring.  Although in hindsight it worked out for the best.

The first time I heard David Wilkerson's name was during the Detroit game when their announcer said that he was told that he was the potential starting point guard and also coach mentioned  it on one of his conference calls.   Watched some games of Wilkerson on line when he was playing jc ball and I didn't see anything that got me too excited  nor anything that deterred me.    Thompson's a pretty good pg and if this guy is as good or better then i'm excited.

Not sure any of us know much about the other three frosh.  I'm sure there will be some honest conversations  after the season and they'll know where they stand.   Guys don't except scholarships to sit on the bench especially in the portal era.

Always here coach saying he's out recruiting when they're on the road so he's still looking at the hs ranks although the last two seasons he has been  getting upper classmen from the portal and this formula has led back to back 20+ wins.

I'm more than likely putting the cart in front of the horse with Horizon tourney and a possible NCAA birth (pray).
Just excited to see YSU have so much success and it's too bad that I'm almost a medicare recipient for it to finally happen.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 07:18:18 PM »
Kind of an ugly first half. A lot of people in the stands, but no energy...feels odd. YSU played good defense, but my gosh how many layups & points blank shots have we missed!? Burns has missed several .33 points against Detroit is disappointing. Too many turnovers. YSU should be up 20-25.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 07:45:33 PM »
2nd half not much better
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2024, 08:04:31 PM »
Playing down their competition or looking ahead to the tourney!  Totally out of sync!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2024, 08:12:21 PM »
You can tell when guys are not playing with enough focus…. Careless passes, missing layups, missing free throws, committing technical fouls….
It’s lucky they are playing Detroit tonight…

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM »
Can't add too much from comments already posted.  Energy,ugly,and playing down to Detroit's level.   I need to eat my words for earlier saying Rush needs to move in on his attempts.  Glad he can prove me wrong.

During one time out coach Davis of Detroit was just sitting there with an expression like he was auditioning for the walking dead.  I guess a 1-29 record will take its toll.

Burns with another double double and 19 rebounds is dominate.   Coaching staff needs to get Thompson to chill.  No need for getting t's although you still want him to play with that dog in him.