Author Topic: YSU Beeghly facilities upgrade  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU Beeghly facilities upgrade
« on: February 12, 2024, 06:45:49 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy on planned upgrades to Beeghly facilities

https://www.tribtoday.com/news/local-news/2024/02/ysu-center-gets-new-seats/

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Beeghly facilities upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 12:56:50 PM »
Nice to hear.  So I see they are keeping the behind the hoop seats but do they plan to put the seats behind the hoop like we had say 20 years ago?   We need that.  Party deck or Loges?  I don't see that in the plans. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 03:39:35 PM »
This will not be the major renovation that some of you were expecting. Updating the existing red seats and replacing the bleachers with proper seating will enhance the atmosphere in the facility.

They better commit to opening the upper stands on BOTH sides for every game. Quite frankly, it is embarrassing to force fans to sit in the end zones when about 1300 side court seats are available but not used. They could not be so stupid as to replace the bleachers only on the east side! Could they! After watching this athletic department for over 40 years nothing would shock me.

Retaining the end zone bleachers is a good thing; much better than constructing loges for the fat cats. It would be nice to add permanent cushions on top of the wood as a courtesy to our fans.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 06:01:37 PM »
They could not be so stupid as to replace the bleachers only on the east side! Could they!

the article does address this concern of yours

YSU will replace the upper and lower seats on both sides of the Beeghly Center with new red seatbacks.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 06:01:54 PM »
What about the floor seats behind both hoops?  Still don't know if that would be part of this remodel or next.

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 10:11:37 AM »
     Will the project be constructed with cast iron risers, encased in concrete, with seats bolted to the infrastructure?  This design concept would be similar to the seating behind the baskets but with chair backs?  Or will it be a 2024 version of what exists on the lower tiers, retractable chair back seats on a wood base with a bit more space?

Reading between the lines of the Tribune/Vindy articles suggests it may be the latter.     

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 12:21:41 PM »
As I understand it, the new seats will still be roll back like the current seats. The lower level will have arm rests and cup holders. The upper seats will be chair back, but no arm rests or cup holders. Seats will be larger and more space in front for leg room.

Too bad they didn't provide more leg room in the football chairbacks.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2024, 01:31:47 PM »
Still would like to know if seats will be on the floor level behind each hoop. Anyone know?

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 01:33:49 PM »
We need Gans directly behind the hoop to create a distraction to opposing teams

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2024, 01:35:16 PM »
Fans behind the hoop is what I meant to say.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2024, 04:39:09 PM »
As I understand it, the end zone areas are not being modified at this time. Those were redone when Mike Rice came in as coach.

A future plan is to add a room at the north end of the court as a court side entertainment room.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 09:02:07 AM »
As I understand it, the new seats will still be roll back like the current seats. The lower level will have arm rests and cup holders. The upper seats will be chair back, but no arm rests or cup holders. Seats will be larger and more space in front for leg room.

Too bad they didn't provide more leg room in the football chairbacks.

I agree on the football chairbacks, couple of years ago when they were adding on to the east side we had to sit on the west side and they gave us chairbacks. I am not that tall but there was just not that much room, very uncomfortable.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 09:05:41 AM »
Fans behind the hoop is what I meant to say.

I recall when there were floor seats behind the hoop. Cliff Stoudt would sit there.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2024, 10:51:44 PM »
According to WKBN press release ONLY the wooden bleachers will be replaced as part of Phase 1 starting in May.

Offline InTheYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2024, 07:15:48 AM »
According to WKBN press release ONLY the wooden bleachers will be replaced as part of Phase 1 starting in May.
I don’t think that story gave an accurate assessment of what is being done.

Read this Trib article that goes in detail of the types of chairbacks for the lower section and the upper section:
https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/local-sports/2024/02/beeghly-center-scores-2m-seating-upgrades/

“The old wooden bleachers on the upper tier of both sides and the existing red seatbacks in the bottom tier will be removed and replaced with new and improved seatbacks.

The student section, pep band and general admission bleachers above the baselines will remain.

Strollo said the new seats will be wider and will have additional depth between rows for increased legroom. The chairbacks in the lower tier will have armrests and cup holders installed into each seat, while the upper tier chairbacks will not have armrests or cup holders.”