Author Topic: PFW  (Read 2046 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
PFW
« on: February 03, 2024, 12:12:05 PM »
2pm tomorrow on the road.   Big game against a team that is playing bad. No clue what team will show up in PFW.  That being said we cannot let them dictate the pace. We have the offense and defense to play a good game so lets go out and do that. Fast start will be needed.   I have confidence we can do that.  Thoughts?

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: PFW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 11:57:48 AM »
YSU is a 4.5-5.5 point favorite on the road.  I don't think anyone would have imagined that a month ago when they started off 13-2 and 4-0 in the league, and their only losses were San Francisco by 16 and Pitt by 14.  I really haven't watched them since the game against YSU.  It looked like at that time they may be the team to beat now they are sitting 8th just a 1/2-game up on RMU. 

PFW was putting up a lot of points earlier in the year, but haven't reached 70 points in their last 3 games.  Prior to that they put up 79 in a bad home loss to IUPUI, 88 in an OT loss to RMU, then before that was the YSU game.  In that game they scored 85, but 51 came in the last 13 mins as YSU couldn't stop them and nearly saw their 27-point lead erased.

A win puts YSU in a 3-way tie for the first place and just as important continued separation from 4th and even more important 5th on back to get that first round bye and a home game in the tourney. 

If YSU plays like they have been I don't see why they shouldn't be able to win pretty comfortably.   

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 12:37:32 PM »
Mud, when I checked in the beginning of the season, pfw was ranked as high as #50 in the NET (YSU was 120+).. they were ranked so high in comparison to half the power 5 teams.Now, YSU is the highest ranked NET Horizon league team @ 105 after beating WSU.
Hopefully we played a good game today and keep this Winning going before meeting those teams from Wisconsin.
Just like WSU, these guys are capable of putting in lots of points in a hurry.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 01:15:32 PM »
Mud, when I checked in the beginning of the season, pfw was ranked as high as #50 in the NET (YSU was 120+).. they were ranked so high in comparison to half the power 5 teams.Now, YSU is the highest ranked NET Horizon league team @ 105 after beating WSU.
Hopefully we played a good game today and keep this Winning going before meeting those teams from Wisconsin.
Just like WSU, these guys are capable of putting in lots of points in a hurry.

Yes, YSU needs to play a 40-min game like they've been playing during this win streak.  If YSU can do that, I think can win 80-67 or so.   

PFW is down to 167 in the net, that's a hell of a drop, but are still considerably higher than GB, NKU, CSU & Milwaukee

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 01:48:07 PM »
PFW brings a different look then most teams in the Horizon.   They play with one post and four  guards that are always probing with penertration and finding the cutter or kicking the ball out.   Defense needs to stay in front the whole shot clock and guys need to be good in their switches.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 02:00:27 PM »
We must the perimeter to stop them from making too many 3’s.
If Gabe returns (?) today, between Iman and Gabe, I doubt very much pfw guards would try too many layups. They probably would kick the ball back outside to swing to find an open man for the jump shots. Our guards need to stay tight to their men and help each other out on defense.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2024, 02:57:33 PM »
Kind of a disjoined first half.  Looked like early on, YSU was going to dominate getting up 8 and should have been more.  PFW went on a run kind of like the 2nd half of their first matchup just not as bad.  Then both teams couldn't buy a basket.  YSU got down 4 then closed out the first half pretty strong up 3, which I'll take for as ugly as it was.

Rush's 3 fouls hurt YSU's offense and Ziggy isn't having a good game at all just 1-6 from the field, only 2 rebounds, and 3 bad turnovers.

YSU is just 3-5 from the FT line and that includes missing a front end of a 1 & 1.    PFW has gotten to the line 15 times, but have missed 5 of them. 

Has YSU played at this location?  I'm sure they have, but I don't remember it...seems like they've played mainly at the Fort Wayne War Colisueum.  This reminds me of a high school gym.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2024, 03:15:35 PM »
What a horrible start to the 2nd half

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2024, 03:36:29 PM »
Guys are not playing with intensity. Pfw is getting too many open looks from outside. Pfw’s screening to get the shutters open has been impressive.
Need better shooting from From Burns and Reed. We also had some careless passes.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2024, 03:45:24 PM »
Fought back to make it a game at the 8-minute timeout with getting the ball inside and getting to  the line, but definitely lacking intensity much of the game.  YSU can't buy a 3 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2024, 03:50:33 PM »
Guys are not playing with intensity. Pfw is getting too many open looks from outside. Pfw’s screening to get the shutters open has been impressive.
Need better shooting from From Burns and Reed. We also had some careless passes.

agree
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2024, 03:54:23 PM »
D need to step up still time left
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2024, 04:04:19 PM »
Dagger! 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2024, 04:16:56 PM »
YSU needs to be able to win these close games as now all 4 of their league losses were within reach

Really the difference in this game was the turnovers especially the killer ones in the 2nd half that led to easy points.  21-9 PFW over YSU in points off turnovers. 

YSU couldn't buy a 3 in the 2nd half.  The last 3 PFW made was the dagger.

Rush's 4 early fouls really killed his play

Reid & Thompson struggled

Great game for Farmer

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2024, 04:29:16 PM »
Can't shoot 30% on th road a d expect to win.  Makes a sweep of GB a must.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!