Author Topic: YSU @ Wright St MBB  (Read 2088 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU @ Wright St MBB
« on: February 01, 2024, 12:42:08 PM »
Big game tonight on ESPNU. 

Wright St is a 2.5-3.5 point favorite.  Over/under is 164.5

Wright State is 12-10, 7-4 in the league.  They've won 3 in a row since losses to YSU and Green Bay, and prior to that had won 3 in a row. 

If YSU could win tonight, they could get some separation from 4th on back.

Hopefully YSU can continue it's defensive effort.  Really going to need it against Wright St & PFW.  YSU held WS to 71 at home, which was their lowest point total of the year.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU @ Wright St MBB
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 02:55:37 PM »
Guys are going to need to bring their A game tonight.   Need the bigs to stay out of foul trouble . Wright State is tough in the post and Trey Calvin can go off on a scoring spree.  Trey is tough off the bounce so I hope someone like Farmer can distrupt his game.

The X factor for Wright State is Alex Huibregtse.  He led them on 8 of 13 from the field againt us at Beeghly so we don't need him getting confidence either.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 03:40:30 PM »
Have to wonder about the availability of Dynes and Bates.  Without them, YSU's bench shrinks so as you said the bigs have to stay out of foul trouble. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 05:35:36 PM »
Bench is going to be the key to game. Dynes and Bates may have to play for us to stand a chance.  Wright is looking at payback and a national audience.    Interesting game.  Our defense did a number on them the first time and will need to step up again.  Too early to predict but has the potential to be a high scoring game.  Hopefully we get the win.  We play really good defense as of late.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 06:15:11 PM »
I believe that we held the raiders too 71 and that was the lowest output that they have had the entire year.  I think that they have 4 or 5 games of over 100 points scored and that is in conference too.  Mind boggling.   We can win tho.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 06:38:40 PM »
I noticed that Dynes had the wrap off his hand at the NKU game while Bates was hobbling with the boot on.  Not sure if the boot caused him to hobble or the injury is still severe ?

If Ziggy and Burns can stay away from silly fouls then I'm good with those two and Zorgvol .   Dynes would be a bonus.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 07:58:34 PM »
He was also on a wheeled scooter because of his foot.  i don't know if that was to get around quicker or whatever other reason.   He seemed in good spirits ,  I noticed Dynes had nothing on his hand either.  Maybe we get Dynes back before Bates.  We won't know until the game time in about an hour.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 09:05:47 PM »
Dynes & Bates are both out.

YSU didn't get any help today with both Oakland & Green Bay winning

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2024, 09:54:40 PM »
All things considered to give up 46 points, YSU should be happy to only be down 1 at halftime & will start with possession.

YSU has done a good job on the boards. Some bad turnovers, but they lock down on defense they can win this.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2024, 11:17:01 PM »
Going to bed happy ;D.   Defense was way better the 2nd half.   Burns was terrific as was Langdon.   Farmer and Lovelace were effective off the bench.   Zorgval had 0 points but was key protecting the rim.
Noticed after Rush missed his dunk  he pretty  much sat on the bench.

Brett Thompson is the guy if he's not on your team then he's the villain.   His turnovers were costly but he still played his rear off.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2024, 11:36:09 PM »
Going to bed happy ;D.   Defense was way better the 2nd half.   Burns was terrific as was Langdon.   Farmer and Lovelace were effective off the bench.   Zorgval had 0 points but was key protecting the rim.
Noticed after Rush missed his dunk  he pretty  much sat on the bench.

Brett Thompson is the guy if he's not on your team then he's the villain.   His turnovers were costly but he still played his rear off.

Agree 100% with your accessment. I was really afraid Rush's missed dunk was going to be a killer & change momentum but thankfully Wright State missed a wide open 3 & they never got any closer the rest of the game.

YSU was terrific on the boards with +12 & more important 13-6 on the offensive boards & 19-6 on second chance points. I think that was the big difference in the game.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2024, 11:48:24 PM »
We are a half game behind Green Bay.   We have them at home next week I believe. We need too have the same effort against PFW Sunday.   I have full confidence  we  can win anywhere any game.   This team is good.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2024, 11:50:37 PM »
Attendance was 3588 at Wright St.  Didn't seem like it.  You would have thought that they would have packed that place being at TV game. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2024, 07:04:42 AM »
Very nice win, the guys looked confident.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2024, 08:09:39 AM »
With the game at PFW Sunday at 2pm did the team come home or stay in Fort Wayne for Sunday game?  Just curious as to what the team did.