Author Topic: YSU at IUPUI MBB  (Read 1925 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU at IUPUI MBB
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2024, 01:35:40 PM »
We're basically at the halfway point of league play as 8 teams have played 10 games, GB & IUPUI have played 11, while Milwaukee & RMU have only played 9.

I don't feel like there's a large drop off from 1-7.

I would have said Oakland was the best team before losing last night to GB.  That team has a lot of talent, but they seem to always underperform in the tourney.

GB has certainly been a huge surprise.  I've watched them a few times and didn't think they were overly impressive, but they seem to know how to close games late.  I keep waiting for them to stumble and come back to reality, but they keep on winning.  And now they have Detroit and IUPUI at home so it's hard to imagine they aren't going to be 10-3.  That basically means YSU is going to have to win the next 3 to stay even with them which aren't going to be easy with NKU then road games with Wright State & PFW.

We know YSU can play with anyone.  They had big leads in both of their losses to Oakland as well as NKU.  They could easily be 10-0.

If NKU hadn't lost Sam Vinson for the year they could be scary good.  They are still 6-4 and just 1 back of YSU.  YSU really needs to beat them Sunday so they don't lose that tiebreaker either and can get some separation. 

I think Wright St, Cleveland St, and PFW have all underperformed.  WSU really scares me.  They have a ton of talent and can really score the ball.  They are 5th in the nation in scoring offense averaging 86.3 per game.  It's hard to believe they are only 11-10 and 6-4.  They are a team I can see really going on a run and could be tough in the tourney no matter what seed they get. 

There's something lacking with CSU when I've watched them.  They can compete with anyone, but at the same time can lose to anyone and it's probably fitting they are 5-5 in the league.  PFW started off 14-2 and 4-0 in the league before dropping 5 straight then bounced back last night beating NKU on the road.  There's a lot of talent on that team.  I'm not sure what happened to them during that losing streak, but feel they could come back late in the year. 

I haven't seen much of Milwaukee this year.  They've only played 9 games and haven't played YSU yet.   

RMU has won 3 in a row and 4 of the last 5; however, 2 of those wins were IUPUI, 1 against Detroit & 1 against PFW in OT.  Both of those OT wins were at home too so I'm not going to get too excited about them yet.

And then there's IUPUI and Detroit, which not much needs to be said.  I'm surprised Mike Davis hasn't been fired at Detroit yet.  Can't imagine he'll be back next year.   

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2024, 02:59:32 PM »
Great info Mud.   Green Bay is a hard team to play since they space the court and Noah Reynolds is a tough matchup and will break down the defense and kick out to their 3 point shooters.

I agree on Wright State especially now that Huibregtse has stepped up his game to go along with their other go to guys.

YSU needs to make it a must to win this because of their defense which seems to be getting better each game.  Three point shooting needs to also improve.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 03:00:46 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2024, 03:26:37 PM »
YSU moved up 5 spots in the net rankings today to 120, which is best in the Horizon.
WSU 143
Oakland 145
PFW 154
NKU 176
GB 187 (they moved up 15 spots following their victory against Oakland)
CSU 203
Milwaukee 253
RMU 274
IUPUI 359
Detroit 361