Author Topic: YSU VS OAKLAND  (Read 1966 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU VS OAKLAND
« on: January 15, 2024, 10:51:27 AM »
YSU plays Oakland Wednesday at 7pm on the road.  Oakland is on a roll so it means alot to play an aggressive schedule to start the season.  We will need  to start off strong and not fall behind early.  All players will need to focus on beating Oakland.  They are beatable at home though. It will take a good shooting performance and good defense to pull out the win.  I know and trust in the coaches to get them ready.  Rush needs to have a good game.  I like our chances on the road.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU VS OAKLAND
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 04:24:47 PM »
After watching our games against Oakland and Wright State, coach probably would extend the defense out to the 3 point line to stop the 3 balls and put our big dude in the middle to discourage the penetrations.
We can’t afford to let Oakland to shoot 70+ % from beyond the arc again.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 07:29:33 AM »
True. 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 09:50:28 AM »
YSU is a 3.5 point underdog.  YSU can't get dominated on the glass and give up so many 3's that killed them last time.

Oakland and GB are at 6-2 in the league and with YSU at 5-2 it's a really good opportunity for YSU especially with Detroit and IUPUI up next before coming home to face NKU.  You'd hate to fall 1.5 games behind Oakland and lose the tiebreaker.  Oakland has won 5 straight starting with their win against YSU.

GB plays at Wright State Thursday & at NKU Saturday followed up by home against Oakland so that's going to be a tough stretch for them. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 10:38:12 AM »
Mudclods I cannot agree enough.   Big game tonight.  They are beatable at home too.   Earlier they got destroyed by PFW.  Mindset has ro be 100% defensively.   Offense comes off of defensive.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 07:11:46 PM »
That is one ugly gym floor, friend went to the game, hope he has a great trip.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 08:53:30 PM »
Gave this one away tonight. Lost by 3. Inbound was stolen on the last possession. Poor free throw also doomed the penguins. Ugly loss tonight.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 09:04:04 PM »
Like Double ET said bad ft shooting and terrible inbound pass cost us a game that was winnable.    Rush shooting 1 for 9 hurts.   Guys played hard.  Burns was a warrior on the glass.  Team needs him to stay out of foul trouble.

Langdon was playing well and I was surprised he sat most of the 2nd half.   Tough loss hopefully the guys get that  out of their system and come out Saturday and take out Detroit.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 11:38:20 PM »
13-0 to start the game and probably should have been 20-0 or so.  Both games against Oakland now YSU has pissed away double digit leads. 

I thought Langdon was having one of his best games in awhile...scored 11 points in just 18 points. I know Coach wanted size in there. 

Rush had a terrible night with just 5 points, missed 2 key FTs, and that terrible inbound pass that cost them a shot at winning the game with the last possession. 

YSU forced a couple turnovers and had fastbreaks that they couldn't convert.  After Oakland got the lead, it just seemed like YSU couldn't get over the hump.

YSU has been a good FT team all year but were just 7-13 compared to Oakland at 12-13 and that was difference in the game. 

YSU caught a break tonight with IUPUI upsetting PFW on the road.  PFW has now lost 4 in a row after starting the year 13-2 and 4-0 in the league.   

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 12:04:40 AM »
Bad loss for YSU.  Now we need to win the next two games on road.    Detroit and IUPUI  both had good games tonight.   We need to be prepared and play a full 40 minutes.     Cannot afford another loss in the league.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 08:39:03 AM »
Bad loss for YSU.  Now we need to win the next two games on road.    Detroit and IUPUI  both had good games tonight.   We need to be prepared and play a full 40 minutes.     Cannot afford another loss in the league.

Yeah Detroit has been playing more competitive. It's hard to believe they haven't won a game yet.  YSU has won 4 straight against Detroit and 7 of the last 9 after losing 12 straight to them.  You never know how IUPUI plays.  PFW was a 17.5 favorite.  Hard to imagine what's happened to them.

Oakland is off for a week now before going on the road to Green Bay and Milwaukee, which won't be easy games.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 09:06:28 AM »
My observation is that Rush was lacking intensity and focus in several games.

In the Oakland game, I think he was losing focus. It looked like he was not focusing on the play when he missed those two free throws (as if he was going through the motion just to toss them towards the basket).

Coming off the timeout of our possession with us down 1 and inbounding the ball to have a chance to win the game with the last shot, he didn’t focus to make sure that he could pass the ball to his teammate. Oakland didn’t even pressure him on the inbound. He just casually tossed the ball to Thompson who was closely guarded with plenty of time left of the 5 seconds limit. Oakland made the layoff to go up by 3.

I really think lacking focus, for whatever reason, was part of his problems this year.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2024, 10:02:13 AM »
My observation is that Rush was lacking intensity and focus in several games.

In the Oakland game, I think he was losing focus. It looked like he was not focusing on the play when he missed those two free throws (as if he was going through the motion just to toss them towards the basket).

Coming off the timeout of our possession with us down 1 and inbounding the ball to have a chance to win the game with the last shot, he didn’t focus to make sure that he could pass the ball to his teammate. Oakland didn’t even pressure him on the inbound. He just casually tossed the ball to Thompson who was closely guarded with plenty of time left of the 5 seconds limit. Oakland made the layoff to go up by 3.

I really think lacking focus, for whatever reason, was part of his problems this year.

I think you're spot on.  I've noticed it myself in several games this year, you can almost see the lack of intensity and maybe it occurs when he doesn't knock down shots, I'm not sure.  He was so good last year too at attacking the rim and it seems he struggles with that this year.

His FG% last year was 47.8%, this year is just 37.9%.  His 3% is down from 38% to 31%.  And his ppg is down from 13.9 to 12.7.  Last year he only had 9 games under double figures with 5 of them scoring 8 or 9 points.  He already has 8 games under double figures this year including 3 of the last 4 and 4 of the last 6, which is concerning.  In the league, Rush is avg just 10.4 and his 3% is under 30%

In the 2 games against Oakland, he's only totaled 11 points.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2024, 12:27:48 PM »
Good Luck not losing any more games in the league as competitively even as it is!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2024, 02:11:09 PM »
You Know it's going to be tough night when Oakland twice knocked in 3 pointers off the glass.