Author Topic: YSU - Navy MBB  (Read 1548 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU - Navy MBB
« on: December 21, 2023, 12:10:55 PM »
YSU is a 9.5-10 point favorite, was 10.5 last night. 

Navy is 3-6.  They beat Coppin State by 23, but they are just 1-12.  They beat VMI by 20, but they are just 2-10.  They beat D3 Washington MD by 58. 

In their 2 most recent D1 games they only lost to 9-2 George Washington by 2 in OT and 8-3 Quinnipiac by 3.  They also only lost to Temple by 7 and San Diego by 8.

Navy only averages a bit over 67 a game and gives up under 62 a game.

In 5 of their 6 losses, they've failed to score 70 points.  The only game they did was the George Washington OT game so you have to feel like if YSU can get into the 70s they have a good shot.

YSU is up to 102 in the net rankings and Navy sits at 274.

Would sure be nice enter the holidays and get back into conference play at 10-3 and 2-0

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: YSU - Navy MBB
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 12:27:37 PM »
I would think that Navy should draw a crowd.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 02:47:33 PM »
Very nice crowd. YSU leads 38-32 at halftime.

YSU came out sharp with a lot of energy & led by as much as 12 on a couple different occasions but got stagnant late in the first half. Only scored 2 points the last 4:17.

YSU missed at least 3 layups & some good 3 points looks. Just 3-14 from 3. Rebounding is even & YSU has the size advantage.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 04:59:57 PM »
YSU won 75-65.
I was at the game. Navy was never in the game. They trailed as much as 17 points. They never came close to pulling ahead of us. Ross was good tonight.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 05:10:06 PM »
Great work by DJ Burns in scoring and rebounding.   If the guys can increase their percentage from three this probably would have been a blow out but credit Navy for not laying down although I thought YSU should of won by 20.

The bench and minutes looked to get tighter today.   Need Thompson to keep his tenacity but not get silly fouls.  I'm starting to think he might be the straw that stirs the drink going forward.

Just noticed in the box score that there was a block party.  Guys had 10 blocks today.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 05:24:09 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 06:57:23 PM »
Burns, Reid & Rush were all outstanding today.  YSU struggles when Thompson and Reid aren't on the floor.  Both are very good defensively, but the offense is much crisper when they are out there.  Thompson plays with a lot of emotion.  I hope he can keep that in check when tensions rise in league play. 

Burns reminds me of a combination of Naz and Adrian Nelson.  Pretty much averaging a double double.  Seems like when he gets going he's hard to stop and continues to shoot well from 3.  Crazy to think he might be the team's best 3-point shooter.

Like was stated, Navy was really never in this game.  YSU came out fast in both halves.  They got stagnant a couple times, at least once in each half, but the final score really wasn't indicative of what it could have been.  I also agree YSU was 20 points better than Navy.  Navy hit 3's on their last 2 possessions including 1 at the buzzer and YSU got a bit sloppy.  There had to be 4 or 5 layups YSU missed and so many good looks from 3. 

Funny how it ended up being right at the 10-point spread that it bounced around between 9.5-10.5.  I think the over/under was around 138.5-139.5 and that final 3 caused some groans from the stands.

I thought the officiating was pretty poor. 

If this team can shoot a bit better from 3, they are going to be hard to beat.  Sure would like to see Rush, Langdon & Farmer shoot better from 3 as they are all capable.  Earlier in the year, it felt like YSU might be the 5th or 6th best team in the league, but right now I'd have to say they are in the top 3

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 08:56:14 PM »
Mudclods I agree with your analysis but we do have the potential to win the league again if we can get the 3 pointers to fall.  Unlimited potential and the team hasn't played a full game to their capabilities.   Scary.

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 06:35:19 AM »
Mudclods I agree with your analysis but we do have the potential to win the league again if we can get the 3 pointers to fall.  Unlimited potential and the team hasn't played a full game to their capabilities.   Scary.

Top 3 for sure and certainly potential to win it all. What's up with PFW?  They seem like the team to beat based on their record thus far.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 08:50:19 AM »
Top 3 for sure and certainly potential to win it all. What's up with PFW?  They seem like the team to beat based on their record thus far.

Not sure. I checked the national rankings about a week and a half ago, ( YSU was at 107) PFW was at 57 & better than most teams in the P5.
I don’t know how they have done this last week and a half.

We will have a better idea on how good we are after playing Oakland and NKU coming up soon.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 10:40:34 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2023, 09:58:11 AM »
As of this morning, below are the net rankings. 

PFW is 11-2.  They have 2 non D1 wins.  They lost to Pitt by 14 and San Francisco by 16 so they don't have any bad losses; however, on the other end no real big victories.  They did beat DePaul in the opener by 8, but they are only 2-8.  Their best win is probably against Oakland by 21, but only beat Green Bay by 4.  Their SOS is one of the worst of the Horizon League schools.

85   Purdue Fort Wayne
101   Youngstown St.
130   Oakland
156   Wright St.
169   Cleveland St.
220   Northern Ky.
263   Green Bay   
282   Robert Morris
315   Milwaukee   
355   Detroit Mercy   
358   IUPUI

Offline Double ET