Author Topic: Men's basketball vs Bethany  (Read 1647 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Men's basketball vs Bethany
« on: December 14, 2023, 08:16:40 AM »
Should be an easy game.  Ysu by 30.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's basketball vs Bethany
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 08:52:10 AM »
First ever meeting between the schools.  Bethany is 4-8 and are giving up over 91 a game on average. 

This is Bethany's 3rd game in as many days, 4th in the last 5, and they play Saturday as well so that will be 5 games in 7 days...seems odd.  They lost to D1 Eastern Kentucky 121-56 on Saturday, beat D3 Grove City 84-70 Tuesday and lost to D2 117-81 last night. 

Wish YSU could have found some other D1 schools to play, 4 non D1 games this year is way too many.  YSU though wasn't real crisp in their first 2 non D1 games; however, that was before Brett Thompson got inserted into the lineup and started playing well beginning with the Dayton game. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 10:30:19 AM »
First ever meeting between the schools.  Bethany is 4-8 and are giving up over 91 a game on average. 

This is Bethany's 3rd game in as many days, 4th in the last 5, and they play Saturday as well so that will be 5 games in 7 days...seems odd.  They lost to D1 Eastern Kentucky 121-56 on Saturday, beat D3 Grove City 84-70 Tuesday and lost to D2 117-81 last night. 

Wish YSU could have found some other D1 schools to play, 4 non D1 games this year is way too many.  YSU though wasn't real crisp in their first 2 non D1 games; however, that was before Brett Thompson got inserted into the lineup and started playing well beginning with the Dayton game.

Listening the coach’s comments on his news conference, he said YSU had to find replacements (Bethany & another ream) when Niagara and Western Illinois pull out of schedule late. Western Illinois actual paid us $25000 to break the contract. Niagara dropped out because of  NCAA rule/procedure violations. He was appreciative that Bethany was gracious enough to step in playing the game.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 11:20:37 AM »
Coach Calhoun said he is related to the best player on Bethany team.  Son of his uncle I believe.   Kind of interesting tidbit.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 12:35:10 PM »

Listening the coach’s comments on his news conference, he said YSU had to find replacements (Bethany & another ream) when Niagara and Western Illinois pull out of schedule late. Western Illinois actual paid us $25000 to break the contract. Niagara dropped out because of  NCAA rule/procedure violations. He was appreciative that Bethany was gracious enough to step in playing the game.

good imfo, thanks
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 12:48:23 PM »
Ziggy is out for tonight's game with a sprained ankle...doesn't appear to be anything serious. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 02:23:36 PM »
Ziggy is out for tonight's game with a sprained ankle...doesn't appear to be anything serious.

May be a good game to miss
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 03:01:50 PM »
I also heard coach say that Western Illinois paid 25k to pull out so Bethany filled the void as Lake Erie did for Niagra.  I'm thinking he wants to maintain Westminster as the one non-D1 game and the others were unfortunate circumstances.

I was under the impression that freshmen can play in four games and still maintain their red shirt status.   Should we expext to see some of thr frosh that haven't seen the court this season ?

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 03:30:26 PM »
I also heard coach say that Western Illinois paid 25k to pull out so Bethany filled the void as Lake Erie did for Niagra.  I'm thinking he wants to maintain Westminster as the one non-D1 game and the others were unfortunate circumstances.

I was under the impression that freshmen can play in four games and still maintain their red shirt status.   Should we expext to see some of thr frosh that haven't seen the court this season ?

I believe that's the case on freshman.  I was surprised we didn't see any play in the Ohio Christian game.  You would think tonight's game would be an opportunity.  There's Kirkland, DePante & Breland.  David Wilkerson is a sophomore on the roster that hasn't played. 

I think Westminster is a good game to keep on the schedule annually.  They typically have a good team and it's a close school that brings people to the game.  I'm surprised the local D2's of SRU, Edinboro or maybe Clarion aren't ever on the schedule

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2023, 07:13:57 PM »
I know arguably YSU's best defender, Ziggy Reid, is not playing but it's unacceptable to give up 39 first half points to Bethany, who is playing for the third straight night & 4th in the last 5.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2023, 07:19:51 PM »
I  think coach is losing his mind because of close out on shooters and over all lack of discipline on defense. I'm sure they'll blow them out but our guys love to leave their feet on ball fakes.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2023, 07:22:32 PM »
I  think coach is losing his mind because of close out on shooters and over all lack of discipline on defense. I'm sure they'll blow them out but our guys love to leave their feet on ball fakes.

100%. YSU has played good defense for much of the year, but tonight is not one of those nights

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 09:54:33 AM »
Another excellent game for John Lovelace.  He plays so hard and so fast and doesn't take a play off...guys can really learn from him.

Gabe Dynes continues to improve.  He's already exceeded my expectations of him this year.  Hope YSU can hold onto him into the future.  He can become a real force.

Brett Thompson has injected so much life into YSU since he's started.  His shooting has really improved as well.  My only concern with him is he can keep his composure in big games.  Last night was his second technical foul.  Bryson Langdon also picked up one in an offsetting for both teams, and that was his 5th foul.  I know Coach wasn't pleased.

Brandon Rush continues to struggle from 3.

Nice to see EJ Farmer score the ball as he's really struggled this year, but he's still just 1-20 from 3 this year.  I went back and looked at his stats at Toledo.  In his freshman year he was just 1-12 but last year improved to 12 of 30. 

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2023, 10:07:09 PM »
Cleveland state beats Bradley on the road!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2023, 12:28:48 PM »
Good win for our conference.