Author Topic: Now that you know the final 4 teams where are we in the top 25?  (Read 3435 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Now that you know the final 4 teams where are we in the top 25?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2023, 11:31:35 AM »
Let's not forget that Tressel, with the exception of Ken Connatzer (sp?) and veteran high school coach Bob Stoops, had a very young coaching staff. Some of these guys advanced to become prominent head coaches and coordinators. And that was an era when P5 assistants were not making too much more money than IAA head coaches.

The issue is not that Phillips has a young staff; the issue is does he have the right staff? Can these guys grow into good coaches and move on, to be replaced by the next generation of ambitious young men? Right now I feel that the problem with our defensive coaches is not their youth but rather their basic competence. You can't evolve in your profession if you lack the ability to be in that profession.

I have the same observation, especially when the DE's lose containment.  Either the players are being lazy or the coaches aren't teaching them.  Schematic breakdowns are in the coaches in my book.

To your point, Tressel made it to YSU in 1985 (I think). Back then he didn't have the transfer portal, but he was able to make it to the playoffs in 1990 I believe.  We lost in the playoffs in 1990 and it wasn't until 1991 that we won it all.  6 years is what it took him.  The best team being 1994.  It took Tressel 9 years to reach the pinnacle and we still didn't win with the consistency that NDSU has demonstrated.  We only won a few games in 1996 before winning it all in 97. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2023, 11:43:28 AM »
Just because I tell the truth, does not make me a crackhead. I imply feel we are not in the top-24 teams. In the MVFC alone we have SDSU, USD, NDSU, UND, UNI. Arguably I feel that SIU and ILS are also better than YSU. That is anywhere from 5-7 teams that would be ranked higher than YSU. Albany, Richmond, Villanova, Delaware and Elon (about the same really for Elon). In the Big Sky, there is no less than 4 teams superior to YSU.  Now that is 14-16 right there. It looks like  YSU would be in the top24, but just barely. Other teams I feel are better than YSU this year are ...Furman, Mercer, Chattanooga (WCU about the same as YSU), Gardner-Web, Samford and I am sure there are a few more that are our equals or better in 2023.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 11:46:18 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2023, 12:33:36 PM »
Just because I tell the truth, does not make me a crackhead. I imply feel we are not in the top-24 teams. In the MVFC alone we have SDSU, USD, NDSU, UND, UNI. Arguably I feel that SIU and ILS are also better than YSU. That is anywhere from 5-7 teams that would be ranked higher than YSU. Albany, Richmond, Villanova, Delaware and Elon (about the same really for Elon). In the Big Sky, there is no less than 4 teams superior to YSU.  Now that is 14-16 right there. It looks like  YSU would be in the top24, but just barely. Other teams I feel are better than YSU this year are ...Furman, Mercer, Chattanooga (WCU about the same as YSU), Gardner-Web, Samford and I am sure there are a few more that are our equals or better in 2023.
Sometimes you make good sense but not here. Gardner Webb?  CMon man!  And GW beat Elon. Villanova thrashed Delaware worse than they did us. Comparible scores don't support your position. This blog has turned into a bunch of ysu haters. You guys make me tired.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2023, 12:49:50 PM »
Let's put it this way. How many teams did we play this year (regular season) where you were sure we were going to win? The answer is "1". I was even afraid that we were going to lose to a then win-less Indiana State. I mean I am sorry but a top-20 team this does not make.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2023, 01:38:58 PM »
Everyone has good points. Something’s to ponder if this was 10-20 years ago didn’t they only choose 12 or 16 teams. The playoffs have been watered down.  Phillips is not the messiah here. Yes he has improved the team but it’s not close in talent to any of Wolfords teams.  Wolford beat Pitt.  What’s Phillips signature win.  Phillips has not come close to recruiting as Wolford.  As for where are in the scheme of things we are s middle of a pack conference team that couldn’t or can’t beat the top 4 Teams.  We played a schedule with no Bison on it.  We weren’t going to beat them and with that loss we would have been 6-5. No better than previous years and previous coaches

A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2023, 02:57:43 PM »
Guins rank ~ 17.

Geeeessshh! Keep hearing that name Wolford and talent.. Last I checked all that talent didn't win squat?! Must have been he couldn't coach, or no one wanted to play for a drunken azzhole.. Beat Pitt lost to 2-8 MO State?!?

Ole Wolf needs to be a recruiter for the Guins. Maybe the world would become perfect again.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2023, 05:24:58 PM »
Guins rank ~ 17.

Geeeessshh! Keep hearing that name Wolford and talent.. Last I checked all that talent didn't win squat?! Must have been he couldn't coach, or no one wanted to play for a drunken azzhole.. Beat Pitt lost to 2-8 MO State?!?

Ole Wolf needs to be a recruiter for the Guins. Maybe the world would become perfect again.

Wasn’t defending Wolford, as a coach he had alot of to learn, and our defense cost us. There were some bad defeats really bad it seemed like November was his demise.  We were horrible in November.  Alabama has him now maybe he will learn something from Saban.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2023, 07:12:12 PM »
Some of these posts confound me.

I felt like we would win for many of our games this year, missed on UNI and did not think we would beat SIU.

Wolf did beat Pitt and NDSU but did we ever make the play-offs under him? I really do not recall.

Do not quite get the no Bison on our schedule thing, then assuming with the revamped schedule we would be 6-5. Are we to assume that the team not on that mythical schedule is a team we beat?

Then to make an argument that two teams we beat ISU and SIU are actually better then us. Maybe we are really better then UNI and SD

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2023, 09:04:17 PM »
Guins rank ~ 17.

Wasn’t defending Wolford, as a coach he had alot of to learn, and our defense cost us. There were some bad defeats really bad it seemed like November was his demise.  We were horrible in November.  Alabama has him now maybe he will learn something from Saban.

No shot at you Go.. Ur usually spot on. Just sick of hearing Wolford and talent..

"IF it wasn't for Bozo bringing a few guys with him from NE and a few other places 2016 wouldn't have happened.

Looking at things now YSU is more talented than Wolfs years "IF" you like statistical proof.

It's safe to say both Wolf and Phillips was/is suffering from defensive dumb azz syndrome. 

These guys need to get their heads out of their 4th point of contact and hit the portal for the biggest meanest SOB's for D and forget the O for the time being. IMO YSU is OK on O with the QB and hopefully the Oline gets a few lbs bigers and stronger.

Like I've been saying,, The Guins are not MVFC big enough yet!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2023, 09:12:14 PM »
Agree we need to focus on the defense on the portal and get bigger and better and faster.   We have a porus defense is why many of the defense left in the portal. Cannot afford to fill with underclassmen and HS recruits. We cannot sacrifice another bad year in defense.   No way in hell.  We have a tough schedule next year with 12 games and game #1 is at Villanova..

jcrum918@gmail.com

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2023, 09:42:13 PM »
Based on our losses which is the best way to rate us at this point. We belong at 9 or 10.  Very good season.  Fun to watch.  With a better d line we could have easily beat Villy.  Remember Mitch was off in that  game compared to the great year he had.  We only lost to SDSU, OSU as substantial losses.  Vilinova was a better team but we were competitive and they gave SDSU a game.  Our other 2 losses to uni and USD were both very good teams and they were very close games.  In both those games refs apologized midweek upon review for making critical mistakes incalls that could have changed the outcome of the game.  As far as our conference goes we are the 4 th best team. SDSU, USD, ndsu, YSU, uni, und, ISU...  That's how I place the conference for relevant teams.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 09:44:50 PM by jcrum918@gmail.com »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2023, 08:08:05 AM »
Guinpen, your comment that maybe we were better than UNI is true in my opinion. Not better, but equal. I saw us beating them this year because we had a better QB then they expected, and that loss dictated the rest of the season. JCrum you cannot agree on ignoring the offense, work on a bad defense and ignore the fact that Davidson had very little protection against Villanova. The Nova defense got equal penetration across the line. It was not just ends, it was everyone. We did not have the ability to protect the QB and make holes. This is not defense. Look how overweight 2 or 3 of our offensive front linemen are. This is basic stuff. Exercise and nutrition. I mean fans in the stands were talking about it almost every home game. We still have a very knowledgeable fan base.

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2023, 04:59:48 PM »
Haha.  Lots to think about in this thread. Someone just said this board is hating.  We can’t do that!!!  Palladian and nation have been calling this the cheerleader board for far too long.

Tressel, attendance, the 90’s OH MY!!! To be clear on some of the posts, Heacock got us in the playoffs once in ‘06.   The Wolf couldn’t win in November let alone win enough to make the playoffs.

Funny how no one mentions big BP much. You talk sooo much about kids coaching kids but fail to remember what HIS staff consisted of.  Maybe it’s NOT about inexperienced staff or the lack of money but rather, we just haven’t found another Tressel. Hate to break it to ya…we probably wont. JT, attendance AND the 90’s were an anomaly.  Not likely to happen again.  Look at the crumble happening in NDSU.  And look at the attendance at Nova. If memory serves me, I heard 5k fans?  And what did we have the week before, 3,500?  Man…that’s a helluva margin.  What’s that tell you?  ITS. NOT. JUST. YSU. And who said NDSU attendance is even falling? And they’re only a COUPLE years removed from their dynasty.

Hate to break THIS to you also.  IF we happen to be ranked top 10 this year, I’d say that’s not too shabby, actually. 

Look, I get it…I want to be a power house. I wish the 90’s never happened as even I want that again. 

I’d say, be satisfied with the very small incremental progress we have made over the last few years and go to church.  Cuz ain’t too many more flags gonna be hung without some prayer and another anomaly.

Go GUINS!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2023, 07:12:16 PM »
Haha.  Lots to think about in this thread. Someone just said this board is hating.  We can’t do that!!!  Palladian and nation have been calling this the cheerleader board for far too long.

Tressel, attendance, the 90’s OH MY!!! To be clear on some of the posts, Heacock got us in the playoffs once in ‘06.   The Wolf couldn’t win in November let alone win enough to make the playoffs.

Funny how no one mentions big BP much. You talk sooo much about kids coaching kids but fail to remember what HIS staff consisted of.  Maybe it’s NOT about inexperienced staff or the lack of money but rather, we just haven’t found another Tressel. Hate to break it to ya…we probably wont. JT, attendance AND the 90’s were an anomaly.  Not likely to happen again.  Look at the crumble happening in NDSU.  And look at the attendance at Nova. If memory serves me, I heard 5k fans?  And what did we have the week before, 3,500?  Man…that’s a helluva margin.  What’s that tell you?  ITS. NOT. JUST. YSU. And who said NDSU attendance is even falling? And they’re only a COUPLE years removed from their dynasty.

Hate to break THIS to you also.  IF we happen to be ranked top 10 this year, I’d say that’s not too shabby, actually. 

Look, I get it…I want to be a power house. I wish the 90’s never happened as even I want that again. 

I’d say, be satisfied with the very small incremental progress we have made over the last few years and go to church.  Cuz ain’t too many more flags gonna be hung without some prayer and another anomaly.

Go GUINS!!!

NDSU isn't selling out their games this year after their losses. It's a fact. Maytthat changes with playoffs

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2023, 09:41:33 PM »

Go GUINS!!!

Nice now someone's speapking english ^^ Wolford couldn't hold Heacocks jock..