Author Topic: Mens Basketball vs ohio u  (Read 1386 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Mens Basketball vs ohio u
« on: December 05, 2023, 02:38:04 PM »
Time to focus on mens basketball now that the season is over for football. Men play a very good Bobcat team on the road tomorrow night.  Any predictions?  Remember they beat us at home last year.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Mens Basketball vs ohio u
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 03:09:58 PM »
YSU has been a different team since inserting Brett Thompson into the starting lineup the last 3 games.  Offense looks much more fluid and he's played well on the defensive end. 

I still feel like Rush is struggling.  He's averaging just over 13 but if you take out the game against NAIA Ohio Christian where he scored 32 hitting 10 3's he averaging under 10.5 a game and his 3-pt % would drop to 26%.  I really expected him to be in the 16-17 ppg avg.

Finally getting production out of Lovelace.  Would like to see a little more consistency from Burns.  His outside shot has surprised me as he's shooting 42% from 3.  Farmer has been disappointing and is just 1-15 from 3.  I've liked what I've seen from Dynes.  His height causes a lot of disruptions on defense.  He needs to be more confident on offense.  There's been several times he's gotten rebounds & such and had an easy basket, but didn't even attempt to look at the hoop and just kicked it out.   

Ohio is 5-2 with wins against Troy, Detroit, Brown, Middle TN & Delaware, while they lost to CSU by 4 on the road & 5 to George Washington in the Bahamas.  I think if YSU plays like they have the last 3 games they definitely can win.  Ohio is 110 in the net rankings to YSU's 128.  Would have to think YSU would be a 5-7 point underdog.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 11:04:27 AM »
YSU is an 8.5 pt underdog.  I'm a bit surprised it's that high.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 01:34:57 PM »
I think the spread is correct giving our last 20 years against the Mac conference.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 01:39:19 PM »
We play two schools for the mac this Year. Both on the road.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 09:30:52 PM »
Nice win tonight. Starting to come together as a team.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 09:46:46 PM »
Great win.   Guys rebounded and got after on D.     I like the spark that Thompson has brought since becoming a starter.   D J Byrnes played one of his better games.   He needs to avoid silly fouls to keep his minutes up.
once again Dynes has played well off the bench.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 09:50:17 PM »
Total.team effort.   Rush seemed to break out of his slump..  now we must go to WMU on the road.  Lets make it two in a row vs the Mac

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 12:04:01 AM »
Really solid victory.  I thought YSU had a shot in this one if they played like they have the last 3 games. That's why I was surprised the line was so high, and YSU only lost by 2 to Ohio last year.  That was Ohio's first non-conference home loss in nearly 4 years!

Funny thing early in the year I wasn't sure about Thompson and was a little surprised he got the start against Dayton, but boy he's been tremendous since he's been inserted into the starting lineup and it's like YSU is a different team! 

Rush looked like the Rush from last season and scored where he needs to be at with 19, really should have had 21 as I thought he beat the shot clock in live time.  Bates was impressive and was really active on the boards with 7 rebounds in just 15 mins of action.  I think he was a big part of the turnaround in the first half when it looked like Ohio was trying to pull away.  Dynes and Lovelace also played well off the bench.  Pretty impressive to out-rebound them 42-31.

Farmer continues to struggle and is going to play himself out of mins.  0-3 from 3 and he's now just 1-18 for the season, he also missed a FT and had 2 turnovers.

I thought YSU was sloppy and careless with the ball several times.  Need to clean that up as they had 15 turnovers to 10 by Ohio.

Thankfully YSU was solid at the FT line at the end making the final 8 or Ohio could have made it interesting. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 12:27:29 AM by mudclods »