Author Topic: YSU and the Portal  (Read 8634 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU and the Portal
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2023, 09:13:19 PM »
BB IS NOT THE ANSWER.  TRUST ME.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2023, 09:18:42 PM »
Needs are defense and QB and running back...simple Phillips needs to attack the portal real hard.. I hope he is.  I know we got the former QB who played at ursuline but we need more.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2023, 09:20:43 PM »
BB IS NOT THE ANSWER.  TRUST ME.

WRONG!! TRUST ME.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2023, 05:03:51 AM »
We don't know what kind of passer he is.  Only ran the ball most snaps and most went for no yards.  Very few psss attempts under his belt.   You wanna go into a season with that?  Then by all means do so.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2023, 08:37:29 AM »
BB rushed for 129 YDS on 28 attempts for a 4.6 yds average and 3 TD's. Passed for 108 yds 14-20 with 1 INT.

Hell, King only averaged 5.4 yds per rush.

So, we can conclude that his rushing numbers are decent considering everybody including Stevie Wonder knew he was running the ball as he entered the game. Passing was 70% completion rate in a limited role throwed into a game.

Bottom line: I'm hoping he's cut from cloth his dad is (best QB ever to play at YSU) and be a winner without the crazy record-breaking stats that hasn't won sh** from the previous QB's everyone went gaga for!

Transfer portal project QB will be a disgrace and hopefully we'll see BB hit the xfer portal.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2023, 09:20:18 AM »
BB rushed for 129 YDS on 28 attempts for a 4.6 yds average and 3 TD's. Passed for 108 yds 14-20 with 1 INT.

Hell, King only averaged 5.4 yds per rush.

So, we can conclude that his rushing numbers are decent considering everybody including Stevie Wonder knew he was running the ball as he entered the game. Passing was 70% completion rate in a limited role throwed into a game.

Bottom line: I'm hoping he's cut from cloth his dad is (best QB ever to play at YSU) and be a winner without the crazy record-breaking stats that hasn't won sh** from the previous QB's everyone went gaga for!

Transfer portal project QB will be a disgrace and hopefully we'll see BB hit the xfer portal.

So that I understand you correctly, basically what you're saying is that you don't need an unbelievable QB.  You can win with people that have grit, a will to win, and can manage the game well. Most of Tressel's QB's were game managers and weren't asked to do too much.  As long as the team around the QB is excellent, it's less of a concern.

That correct?

While I think that's what you're conveying, I do think it will be more difficult to recruit to an elite level at every position, more so today than in previous decades due to many of the rule changes etc. I think what you're saying can be done, but not preferable.  The size of the OL and DL in today's FCS game is much different than when Tressel was in the FCS, and there weren't teams that had a collection of that size across the entire LOS like the best teams today.  The 2023 version of the Penguins is athletically superior to both the 93 and 94 teams that won it all.

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2023, 09:46:21 AM »
Dude, the 93 and 94 teams were littered with legit D1 players that either stayed home or transferred back. Tressel worked that like a master. There probably aren’t more than a small handful of kids on the current roster that could have played for those teams. FCS 2023 is D2 when compared to 1AA in the 90s

jcrum918@gmail.com

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2023, 09:57:08 AM »
I agree with power.  In general people today underestimate the talent at fcs level.  Especially in Mvfc.  We were great in the 90's but very little NFL level talent .  That is not true today.  Our teams regularly are getting players into the NFL.  This year there will at least be 2.  It is a team game. We could not have showcased Oliver without a good online and someone to get him the ball.  Hooker is planning on being in the draft also and he may not have been our best player in the secondary and the secondary was probably our weakest unit on the team. In short I do not agree we don't have talent.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 09:58:44 AM by jcrum918@gmail.com »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2023, 10:05:33 AM »
Dude, the 93 and 94 teams were littered with legit D1 players that either stayed home or transferred back. Tressel worked that like a master. There probably aren’t more than a small handful of kids on the current roster that could have played for those teams. FCS 2023 is D2 when compared to 1AA in the 90s

Nova is correct back when Trestle was here specially, with the early 90s teams we had many D1 players. Another advantage he had even though he said he recruited a state of Youngstown. He recruited the city series schools very well plus the local area had more talent which has been reduced Due to population shrinking and the loss of manufacturing jobs and people moving away especially from Packard and GM. Another reason back then too one AA was only about 80 teams now I think it’s over 100+ I didn’t check but I know it’s more division one has increased as well , so Phillips does have a harder job and recruiting elite players. So going back to what power was saying that we could probably just have a game manager for a QB that’s true but it always hurts us now when we play the better teams Davidson was system quarterback, and he did  Have an elite running back for one year and he had a elite receiver for two years, but he was limited and it showed at times. 
Football is about the QB at all levels now QB has to be accurate and make a decisions and be elusive. It seems that Youngstown state we get a QB but he’s missing one of the attributes and I need to be developed.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2023, 04:20:35 PM »

Very few were NFL. But some of the best lineman from that era never made it to the NFL.  We've had more in the last 10 years. For example:

Matt Hogg was 6-5 305 lb and played overseas
Harry Deligianis was 6-4 305 llb and played a few years in arena ball and overseas.

So please explain your point.  What am I missing?

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2023, 05:12:49 PM »
You can’t base the overall talent level off a a few one off kids that made it to the NFL. In my opinion the 93/94 teams would smack the crap out of the 23 team.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2023, 09:40:05 PM »
But, but, but the 70 Bears would skull drag the 23 Eagles.. :o

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2023, 08:30:55 AM »
We offered this lb from Iowa St.  Heacock is the D coordinator

https://x.com/carstonmarshall/status/1734717518273491036?s=46&t=SqaSHXYmGnI4EDZFC6T0VA
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2023, 09:20:49 AM »
We offered this lb from Iowa St.  Heacock is the D coordinator

And he is making about 1 million a year, or just under.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

jcrum918@gmail.com

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2023, 03:39:12 PM »
You can’t base the overall talent level off a a few one off kids that made it to the NFL. In my opinion the 93/94 teams would smack the crap out of the 23 team.
That isn't the case.  I feel this year we have a lot of talent top to bottom. Best o line  since 2016.  Best recievers overall possibly ever.  Some solid talent on d but also some holes.   If I go back to the 90's we had a lot of talent but also some weak areas depending on the year. Our consistent strength was the lines.  We had some years with only one or 2 good receivers. Tight ends were week overall compared to recent talent - Ogletree and Rader.  This isn't a knock on strollo. Lol. Nice discussion though.  I feel strongly the opposite of some commenters and I've spoke to some recent players who agree. Fcs is much stronger now than in the 90s especially in MVFC.  At a game this year I spoke with McAllister. Nice young man. He is on rams practice squad waiting for his turn in the starting lineup.  He was our lineman through some of our down years realistically.  I would be curious to see fcs NFL players by year. I can't find that info.