Author Topic: NCAA Playoffs Week 1: Duquesne at YSU Saturday 11/25 at 5pm  (Read 8425 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
NCAA Playoffs Week 1: Duquesne at YSU Saturday 11/25 at 5pm
« on: November 19, 2023, 01:32:59 PM »
Avoids the time conflict with Ohio State Michigan. Pack the ICE CASTLE  fb

Offline InTheYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Playoffs Week 1: Duquesne at YSU Saturday 11/25 at 5pm
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 03:25:24 PM »
Avoids the time conflict with Ohio State Michigan. Pack the ICE CASTLE  fb
We are hosting a Twitter (@WeAreYoungstown) Space tonight at 830pm to preview the playoff game! Go YSU! Let's get a big victory!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 06:51:41 PM »
Looks like our league has 6 teams in the play-offs, 25 percent, impressive.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 07:23:14 PM »
Looks like our league has 6 teams in the play-offs, 25 percent, impressive.

As I've been saying all year, we are in the best league.  We will do damage in the playoffs.  We have a very good team that's only going to get better.  Our coach has to develop both the kids and coaches, which is a tough job.  We are getting better every single year under Phillips. We are better than we were last year.  Time for people to put a cork in it.  We made the playoffs. Mission accomplished, but we cannot beat SDSU (yet).

Offline No. 1 Tailgater

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 07:42:56 PM »
Well said. Let’s get behind these guys and get as many butts in the seats this Saturday. Another week to practice, develop and improve. GO GUINS
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 07:43:29 PM by No. 1 Tailgater »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023, 07:49:11 PM »
My post wasn't pointed at you guinpen.  It was pointed at others, but your response triggered me to re-state this to the people that are doubters.  Time will tell if Phillips is the right coach, but based on our budget and the state of the program he inherited, he's done a fantastic job.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2023, 09:58:49 PM »
I think it is great that we got in. I think some of the reason is last year’s snub and the performance of teams from our league in the playoffs. If I recall correctly, MVFC teams in last year’s playoffs, 3 of them, only lost to other MVFC teams! All the other games we won. That is hard for others on the selection committee to ignore.

Also to all those on this board who have said over and over we would never get in this year, you were wrong. Based on last year’s selections you were correct, but thankfully this year was different. We all agree we are not a complete team, especially on defense. But we are better this year. I hope Tyshon King is ok; we need him desperately. And I hope against hope our defense improves so we can win a game or two. If we do win two games it is SDSU again which is a big problem for us or anyone else. It will be interesting to see if the coaches can have the players ready and on game day be able to adjust on the fly for things that always go against a team. These extra games should help our young players grow for next year and see just what coaches show improvement and which do not. And it should help recruiting.

Let’s be positive and support our team. Need to be realistic for sure, but all the negative posts, when done to extreme, do no good for us.

Online Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 06:02:23 AM »
I long suggested that we could get in if we could beat Murray State by 2 tds and stayed close to SDSU since the other 2 league losses were to ranked teams (on the road) at the time and only by a few points. We also blew out SIU (#5 ranked at the time)

We got destroyed by SDSU that diminished my hope. Others were probably more pessimistic and realistic since, historically, only 3 or 4 teams from Mvfc were chosen. In that scenario, the 4 Dakota teams would be selected leaving us looking in from the outside again.

We would have a chance if 5 teams were chosen.

I was not as much being critical of the HC as to the DC and OC whose design schemes and play calling were inadequate and highly predictable. However, I also understood that with the tight budget that didn’t have the $$$ to hire more experienced assistant coaches. Therefore, I wished the athletic department would aggressively market the games to bring additional revenues into the program. It takes investments to make money.

Here is the article from today’s Tribune/Vindy

https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/local-sports/2023/11/youngstown-state-selected-for-fcs-playoffs/

Go Penguins and I will be at the game on Saturday.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2023, 06:49:03 AM »
This is only the second time the MVFC has gotten so many teams in the playoffs (6). To put this into perspective, that's 25% of the field for the playoffs coming from one conference. Looking at it another way, that's 50% of the Missouri Valley's 12 teams making the playoffs  :o

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2023, 08:52:52 AM »
I like our chances to win the first two games to get to SDSU

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2023, 11:26:49 AM »
This playoff appearance should solidify the bond between Phillips and his players. Finally a concrete result for their labors. It should also be very helpful with high school recruiting.

Speaking of recruiting, has anybody noticed how bad both Akron and Kent have been this year. Not their usual bad, but really, really bad. Win a couple playoff games and we have the opportunity to dominate northeastern Ohio for non-P5 high school talent.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2023, 11:57:45 AM »
Picked up my tickets this morning

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2023, 12:50:09 PM »
How? I can't get through to the ticket office been calling all morning

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2023, 01:16:45 PM »
How? I can't get through to the ticket office been calling all morning

I went to the ticket office, no one else there until I was leaving. The phones were pretty busy.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2023, 06:27:32 PM »
Hope you are right CIMO!