Author Topic: 2023 Football: Constructive Criticism and Compliments  (Read 3000 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
2023 Football: Constructive Criticism and Compliments
« on: November 12, 2023, 08:38:53 AM »
I thought that I would begin this thread. Note that I used the words "Constructive" and "Compliments" in the title. Anyone can attack, and I know how angry we all are after yesterday's excuse for a football game. It certainly is difficult to find positive things to say. However, we are fans and this is our team, so let's make some quality replies.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: 2023 Football: Constructive Criticism and Compliments
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 09:03:20 AM »
I have so many things to talk about, this will be a short winter :) LOL The two things I wanted to start with are:

1. For the people that think a small handful of players is the gap between YSU and the upper-half of the conference. Think again. We need about 8 players (starting O and D only) just to field a team. I skipped WR's and #2's in my calculations there. We are at the end of an era here . We lose our QB, top WR, Both TBs, our top DE and DB, two on the O-Line and one on the D-line. Again these are only starters.

2. This year's play-off. There is still a chance that we see the play-off for this year. Do we want to accept any offer, or refuse it?  Part of me does not want to waste the money. Traveling is so expensive. Also those of you that think we may draw a bottom-feeder need to realize this. Compared to most of the upper halves of the brackets ... WE are the bottom-feeder. The other part of me wants to give the team some post-season exposure for future seasons. Just not sure.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 09:14:58 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 09:20:23 AM »
I didn't know you could refuse an offer to be included in the playoffs outside the SWAC, MEAC or Ivy.

If YSU gets in the playoffs we should play

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 09:25:08 AM »
Yes, we are still missing a few critical pieces for this team to be competitive in the upper half of the conference.

We have some pretty decent players. Unfortunately, we don’t have to coaches who could properly devise sound offensive and defensive schemes to allow the players to play in a system that will allow them to be successful.
Combining that with the lack of well designed plays and poor play calling, obviously, we were unable to compete.

Did our coaches really think other teams did not scout us such that every time #12 got on the field, all he did was to put his head down and run?

We need to get D-1 coaches going forward. If we can’t afford them, join another conference if we want to be in the playoff.

It is a business decision. Give the people a product that they want to buy. It takes investment (money) to make money. Otherwise, our stadium will continue to be empty without the ability to generate the revenues to fund the program. But, the athletic department will continue to complain that we have limited resources to get things done.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 09:35:38 AM »
I didn't know you could refuse an offer to be included in the playoffs outside the SWAC, MEAC or Ivy.

If YSU gets in the playoffs we should play

Actually, any team from those three conferences can certainly go to the play-off ... and has. We have played them. Even after the MEAC/SWAC Challenge was created. As far as I know (And I have no facts) any refusal is an individual decision. The Ivy League itself made the decision to not allow football after a certain date. This was supposedly for academic reasons & also the importance of the Ivy League Championship.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2023, 12:46:27 PM »
After what I saw yesterday, you will not have to worry about it!  Really, we have one true quality win!  Southern Illinois!  That is it!   We were expected to be Ill St. and Miss St!  other than that what do we have Valpo and RMu!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2023, 10:03:43 PM »
After yesterday's performance a few things stand out to me that the staff needs to address. And accepting the fact that we are not going to have the funding to get fully developed coaches, we need to hope that we get young assistants that can learn from past results and methods or they need to be replaced. Things that need to improve in my opinion.

1. To me our staff has not done a good job of offensive and defensive stategy to maximize the talent we have. I hope they can learn from this and improve. Can't run the ball every time number 12 comes in. Can't cover talented recievers one on one. Can run the ball most of the time on 1st down. We get no pressure with our front four and yet we seem to have only one on one coverage on wide outs. Where are the other defenders? And we seem to always have the tight end uncovered on mid range passes to the side lines. Pass defense is a definite shortcoming that needs a major overhaul.

2. Need to always bring in talent from the portal each year like most teams at our level. This past year I think we only brought in number 10.

3. Can't build a program on mostly local talent. Fans love it until we have a showing like yesterday.

4. Can't build a program on just developing walk on's to scholarship players.

Lets hope that DP has the ability to right the ship. Lets not forget that our team this year is a big improvement since the end of the Pelini era.  Need to continue the improvement and make changes to get this done.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 12:37:33 AM »
My point about needing 2 people on each side of the ball is this:
You need 2 more people to create problems on the D-Line. You need to force teams to commit to 2 double teams.  That would free up the current DL to get after the QB.  Similar concept with the OL.

Running backs aren't the problem.  I wasn't overly impressed with SDSU's, but they look outstanding because of the blocking at all levels.  That is the biggest problem. 

It's interesting that no one mentions the fact that they didn't do anything fancy (except for their failed trick play). They just liked up and ran their normal offense that took what the defense was giving them.

If the DL issues were addressed Marcus Hooker wouldn't be the leading tackler on defense in that game.

You've got a lot of youth on the lines. Believe it or not, that matters.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2023, 02:20:20 PM »
A 36-0 whitewashing against the #1 team in the Ice Castle equals no Play-offs!  If we would have gave them a decent game maybe, but not now!  It doesn't matter if we win against Murray St. or not!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2023, 03:41:27 PM »
The sagarin rankings of YSU victories this year.
256 Valpo
241 Robert Morris
194 Indiana State
138 Illinois State
160 Missouri State
102 Southern Illinois
200 Murray State (TBD Saturday)
119 YSU (Ranking)

These rankings were prior to last weeks games.  The FCS is so weak these days that I guess it's possible that they could be considered?   

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2023, 04:19:19 PM »
256 Valpo
241 Robert Morris
194 Indiana State
138 Illinois State
160 Missouri State
102 Southern Illinois
119 YSU (Ranking)

These rankings were prior to last weeks games.  The FCS is so weak these days that I guess it's possible that they could be considered?

I like sagarin as it is very realistic, but for any ranking purpose, it is worthless. Use the coaches poll.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2023, 09:04:59 PM »
256 Valpo
241 Robert Morris
194 Indiana State
138 Illinois State
160 Missouri State
102 Southern Illinois
119 YSU (Ranking)

I like sagarin as it is very realistic, but for any ranking purpose, it is worthless. Use the coaches poll.

Coaches loll is trash today.  It's not the same as it used to be.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2023, 10:57:40 PM »
I agree with DMorton on his synopsis of it doesn't matter if we win at Murry State,   I feel like we are ready to be upset.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2023, 06:15:51 AM »
If we win next week at Murray State we are likely in the playoffs based on how the schedule will likely play out.  If we get in, we will do damage.  We will probably win the first 2 games.  That would mean we would finish in the top 8. 

If and when this does happen, I don't want to hear anymore bullsh** about the team and coach.  He's building a great program here.  Hes got to work with his coordinators and coaches.  They need development and that takes time.

Direct your anger at the AD for keeping Heacock who couldn't recruit but could coach.  For the record, dynasties are usually once in a lifetime events.  That's just reality

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 07:45:08 AM »
I think that we are moving in the right direction with the program, not where we want to be yet but making progress. A few years ago, we would have been very happy with the year we have had so far.

A loss to that school down south, the top team in our division and two close losses on the road to a couple of good teams. Not bad!

Coaching staff still has some room to improve, a couple of games where I do not think that the team was ready to play at kick-off.

What amazes me is the negativity with some our fans. Will we make the play-offs, who knows. Past history is not on our side, but hope is better than despair.

Been going to games since the Polish Rifle, will be there next year.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne