Author Topic: YSU Hosts #1 South Dakota State  (Read 7289 times)

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Hosts #1 South Dakota State
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2023, 10:49:08 AM »
They need to stop scheduling teams like Ohio State.  Had they not scheduled that game they would be sitting with 3 losses heading into a winnable game and more than likely the playoffs. Your season shouldn't come down to having to beat the number 1 team in the country that hasn't lost since last September to Iowa and won the title last year. Consistently making the playoffs is good for recruiting not getting crushed by FBS schools but it's all about the money sadly, so hope that money was worth another year of no playoffs .  Also get out of this conference. Doesn't matter how good the conference is when you get your balls beat in year in and year out. Back in the Gateway we couldn't beat Western Kentucky, Southern Illinois, and UNI. Now it's the Dakota schools.  Just over the same garbage year in and year out.

Sorry, but you're wrong on multiple fronts here. First, athletics benefits from scheduling games like Ohio State because of the big pay day. From an athletic department our size, we need pay days. Second, we're not making the playoffs because of our in conference record and lack of quality wins, not because we lost to Ohio State. That's just completely and utterly silly. You think suddenly if we took Ohio State off the schedule and won against a cupcake that we'd make the playoffs? Absolutely not. It comes down to winning the games you need to win, I.e. Northern Iowa and South Dakota. Period.

Offline No. 1 Tailgater

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2023, 11:33:45 AM »
33 YO great point. You need to win to get in and beat teams in your conference period.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2023, 12:48:18 PM »
33YO I'm not saying the athletic department doesn't benefit from scheduling Ohio State but what I'm saying is everyone complains when we miss the playoffs with 4 losses and are a bubble team. Well then stop scheduling guaranteed losses and schedule a cupcake game. If you recall that's what Tress did hence why we played Slippery Rock every year. Guess what though we made the playoffs every year and made an impact. Playing OSU then playing the gauntlet of this schedule equals no playoffs. You can disagree but it's the truth.  Hope the money is worth it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 12:49:03 PM by JP21 »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2023, 12:51:08 PM »
I think we need another FCS team on our schedule like we did Villanova!  Not two FCS want-to-bes like Valpo and RMU!  SFU and Dayton are a little bit better but do you think the committee would be impressed with two blow out wins over them!  I don't know!  I we tried to get Akron and EKU before covid.  That would have been a worthy schedule!  Especially with a win over Akron!

Offline InTheYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2023, 02:41:50 PM »
33YO I'm not saying the athletic department doesn't benefit from scheduling Ohio State but what I'm saying is everyone complains when we miss the playoffs with 4 losses and are a bubble team. Well then stop scheduling guaranteed losses and schedule a cupcake game. If you recall that's what Tress did hence why we played Slippery Rock every year. Guess what though we made the playoffs every year and made an impact. Playing OSU then playing the gauntlet of this schedule equals no playoffs. You can disagree but it's the truth.  Hope the money is worth it.
Where do you expect this athletic department to get the $800,000 it received this year from Ohio State?

Do you know how quickly that is used up in just charter flights to other schools in the conference?

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2023, 02:56:14 PM »
Here is simple solution for our money issues.

Yea keep playing that money game each year but how about more fans put their butts in a seat. 11,000 more per game at $20.00 for 6 home games would bring in about 1.3 million extra per year, not to mention parking and concessions.

That would give us the needed funds to upgrade the coaching staff like a lot of folks want. So you can make a case that the future of the football program is in our hands.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2023, 03:58:44 PM »

AGAIN - scheduling a cupcake doesn't make a difference for us. The difference is winning the games IN CONFERENCE.

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2023, 03:59:24 PM »
Where do you expect this athletic department to get the $800,000 it received this year from Ohio State?

Do you know how quickly that is used up in just charter flights to other schools in the conference?

But that's the point. It's paying for expenses we wouldn't otherwise get.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2023, 06:43:50 PM »
People need some perspective here, so I will give mine.

1. I don't think anyone beats that team this year (SDSU).
2. What people need to realize is we are better than 90% of the FCS.  The problem is that we play in a conference that's the absolute best of the best.  In general, whomever wins the MVFC is the likely winner of the national championship.
3. That had a team full of 6 year seniors and we are playing mostly Freshman and Sophomores.
4. I heard that Phillips was willing to speed up the transformation of the team, but was limited by the AD. In addition, His first recruiting year was shorted scholarships due to NCAA rules violations by Pelini.
5. If we get into the playoffs, and there's a chance we will (look at the remaining schedule) we would do a lot of damage in the playoffs.  We would finish in the top 15 easily.
6. We weren't aggressive enough against SDSU. It looked to me that we were trying to keep it close and get it into the 4th quarter, but they were able to shut down the run game completely. Then we were doomed.
7. We have legitimate complaints about the referees in this game. When they took that TD off the board, it was the turning point.

Keep the perspective.  We need a couple more kids.  We win will 2 more on offense and 2 more on defense (on the lines).

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2023, 07:35:37 PM »

AGAIN - scheduling a cupcake doesn't make a difference for us. The difference is winning the games IN CONFERENCE.

33YO you can argue with me all you want. The bottome line I've been watching YSU games before they were even in a conference so scheduling a cupcake game and not scheduling a guaranteed loss would of got us in this year would have got us in last year. That's how you generate money you stop getting crushed by FBS teams and you consistently make the playoffs and make a run at a Natty. The money game has kept us out in 2005 crushed by Pitt, 2007 crushed by Ohio State, 2013 crushed by Michigan State. All years we ended up with 3 or 4 losses and kept out by 1 game. Again, hope the money is worth it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 07:46:08 PM by JP21 »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2023, 08:46:35 PM »

2. What people need to realize is we are better than 90% of the FCS.  The problem is that we play in a conference that's the absolute best of the best.  In general, whomever wins the MVFC is the likely winner of the national championship.
3. That had a team full of 6 year seniors and we are playing mostly Freshman and Sophomores.
4. I heard that Phillips was willing to speed up the transformation of the team, but was limited by the AD. In addition, His first recruiting year was shorted scholarships due to NCAA rules violations by Pelini.
5. If we get into the playoffs, and there's a chance we will (look at the remaining schedule) we would do a lot of damage in the playoffs.  We would finish in the top 15 easily.
6. We weren't aggressive enough against SDSU. It looked to me that we were trying to keep it close and get it into the 4th quarter, but they were able to shut down the run game completely. Then we were doomed.
7. We have legitimate complaints about the referees in this game. When they took that TD off the board, it was the turning point.

Keep the perspective.  We need a couple more kids.  We win will 2 more on offense and 2 more on defense (on the lines).

Power every year it’s the same conference is the best again what’s the point of being in this conference when we can’t get past the top 4 teams
The refs didn’t beat us stop it.
That team beat us as soon as they got of the bus.
Being better than 90 percent of all the other schools means nothing. 
We fricken didn’t even score.
Then Davidson post game press conference sounded like an ass saying they weren’t nothing special lol.  Then made the same excuse they had a lot of 6 year players.  Very sad.

This football program and the YSU administration needs to do some soul searching.  We have become a second rate school in the conference an afterthought to the local fans and it’s just excuse after excuse. 
If the basketball team can win another 20 games they have become the number one program at the school.

It kills me to say it. 

A Penguin for life!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2023, 09:42:19 PM »

Power every year it’s the same conference is the best again what’s the point of being in this conference when we can’t get past the top 4 teams
The refs didn’t beat us stop it.
That team beat us as soon as they got of the bus.
Being better than 90 percent of all the other schools means nothing. 
We fricken didn’t even score.
Then Davidson post game press conference sounded like an ass saying they weren’t nothing special lol.  Then made the same excuse they had a lot of 6 year players.  Very sad.

This football program and the YSU administration needs to do some soul searching.  We have become a second rate school in the conference an afterthought to the local fans and it’s just excuse after excuse. 
If the basketball team can win another 20 games they have become the number one program at the school.

It kills me to say it.

Go, I do not like the conference either, mostly because the western schools do not interest me, but that is where we are. What other conference would you suggest would be a good fit and would want us.

Power is correct about the refs, you never know how a bad decision can affect a game, but the point is that we have a legitimate compliant.

I would say that being better then 90 percent of all the other schools is pretty darn good.

I hope that the basketball team does win 20 games, but to think that would make them the number 1 sport is a big stretch. Certainly a basketball game will never have an announced crowd of over 9000. Maybe a sellout once in a blue moon but football will remain the big dog for years to come.

You, myself and many others are frustrated, plenty of areas to place blame, AD, admin coaches etc.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2023, 06:29:57 AM »
Here is simple solution for our money issues.

Yea keep playing that money game each year but how about more fans put their butts in a seat. 11,000 more per game at $20.00 for 6 home games would bring in about 1.3 million extra per year, not to mention parking and concessions.

That would give us the needed funds to upgrade the coaching staff like a lot of folks want. So you can make a case that the future of the football program is in our hands.

Likewise, a lot more people purchase tailgate tickets than go to the games, it is really a habit. So you may think there is only about 150 people with tickets, but I bet it is closer to 250. Those are season tickets. That is another $50k to $75k. Not to mention there is a great amount of missed opportunity there.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2023, 04:22:47 PM »
 I can almost assure you we are not even on the committee's radar after that debacle!