Author Topic: Illinois State Week  (Read 5877 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Illinois State Week
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2023, 10:09:48 AM »
I am actually more optimistic about the making the post season even with a 7-4 (losing one more game to South Dakota State.
I know we didn’t make it last year at 7-4.
However, if the four loses are, Ohio State (#3 FBS), South Dakota (#2 at the time), South Dakota (#1) and Nothern Iowa (#10 at the time), coupling with a 31-3 win over then #5 rank Southern Illinois, IMO, I think even the biased selection committee is going have trouble not picking YSU.
We are all but out now. Winning out, including vs SDSU, is a MUST. Without that, I would not even vote for us to be in the post-season and I bleed Red & White. A loss to SDSU would put a minimum of 4 MVFC teams above us. (That loss to UNI is going to haunt us for the remainder). 3 that beat us and the fourth we did not face. What kind of resume is that?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 03:32:40 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2023, 04:53:53 PM »
Guys, we need to show the committee that we can win multiple game-in-a-row. They need to show me this as well. If not, I do not wish to be embarrassed in the play-off with an appearance. BTW, at 8-3, YSU will have defeated #1 and #5. we are in (and at home) with out a doubt.

Also, let's not forget that we need to gain post-season exposure. YSU no longer has any idea what it takes to fight your way through the crowd of teams in the post-season. So maybe there is some good to an embarrassingly short run in the play-off, as opposed to none?

Conference games are the same as playoff games, if not more challenging than facing most teams in the tournament.  There's such a stark difference between the MVFC teams and everyone else that we get playoff experience every week.

Good point, but I cannot say that I completely agree. The MVFC is tough, but facing different styles of offenses and defense that you do not experience regularly is more dangerous.  Look at 2017. We had little trouble with a very strong Jacksonville State team and we all but lost to a weak Wofford club a week later. It was their tough D and solid option game that we were not used to.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2023, 10:07:02 PM »
Our pass defense is the main problem. If it was just average, we would be 5 and 1. What bothers me the most is that a few years back we had a defensive backs coach who had the players believe in him. I recall they came to practice early and stayed after to work on their foot work and technique. Some of those players are still with us in Troy J and Quency L I think. It was the best pass D we had in a long time. He left the next season for Purdue I think. My issue is that our scheme seems weak, not just the players. I know our front 4 can't get pressure most of the time and that hurts. But we seem to always be chasing the receiver not defending against the pass. The coaches say that the other team is keeping 7 in to block so only 4 are in the pattern. We should have 7 to defend the 4 and they get wide open.

The losses in the league were to experienced coaches who I think control the assistants and the schemes on O and D. They make quick changes to our scheme and mostly win that battle against our coaching staff. In the USD game we came out strong on O, but after 2 series changes were made and we were in trouble the rest of the half. I hope that our coaches can learn from this and get better. I also think the head coach needs to be closely in control of the new and inexperienced assistant coaches so we don't get out schemed with an experienced coach against our inexperienced coaches. Sometimes I feel that assistant coaches who get to be head coaches still have sympathy for assistants and give them too much authority. We can’t afford to hire experienced and proven assistants so we need to guide our assistant coaches until they prove themselves.

We sure need a change in our pass defense scheme so we win some games.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2023, 05:56:25 AM »
Penguin68 well said.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2023, 09:55:22 AM »
It's GameDay penguin fans!  fb

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2023, 11:26:55 AM »
Need to stop scheduling guaranteed loss games like Ohio State. Yes we got the money but if it counts against you making the playoffs it's dumb. Your program gets noticed by consistently being in the playoffs and making a run like 2016 not losing to some FBS team by 4 touchdowns.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 11:27:41 AM by JP21 »

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2023, 11:56:19 AM »
I am seeing us as 8.5 favorites. Wow, wasn’t expecting that.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2023, 02:15:38 PM »
Looking good so far

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2023, 02:37:51 PM »
Let's go

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2023, 02:48:37 PM »
Defense didn’t show up today. No pressure on their QB. It will be a long day for us.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2023, 03:41:50 PM »
Our secondary is pathetic!

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2023, 03:48:29 PM »
Pathetic doesn’t begin to describe it