Author Topic: South Dakota Week  (Read 8096 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: South Dakota Week
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2023, 09:50:04 AM »
Penguin power you are 100 % wrong,  Calhoun has. Brought total excitement  to the basketball program.  They were filling up the bleachers and there was a buzz for the team,  We are winning  plus he plays COACHES  AN exciting style of play.

The fans back a winner in Youngstown it doesn’t matter what the sport.  Even the junior hockey team sold out during the playoffs and the won the championship.

I feel it seems the football program  generates  very little interest  even I have lost interest.  How long are we going to live off the  90’s .    It’s time to clean house get new blood from the athletic  dept, the marketing  dept, and even clean up the sidelines on the hangers ion from that area  Penguin club.   Other than the Tressel era and a  run in the 70.$. Football has been mediocre.

A Penguin for life!!!

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2023, 11:05:57 AM »
Under the current leadership we are a 7-4 team at best if we remain in the mvfc and continue to schedule 2 ooc patsies.  This will not get us into the playoffs.  Davidson looked like a walk on yesterday locking on to his intended receivers and making poor decisions.  SDU dbs are as bad as ours and a good qb with a sold line would lite them up.  Also 56 needs benched too many mental mistakes for penalties.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2023, 11:22:10 AM »
Penguin power you are 100 % wrong,  Calhoun has. Brought total excitement  to the basketball program.  They were filling up the bleachers and there was a buzz for the team,  We are winning  plus he plays COACHES  AN exciting style of play.

The fans back a winner in Youngstown it doesn’t matter what the sport.  Even the junior hockey team sold out during the playoffs and the won the championship.

I feel it seems the football program  generates  very little interest  even I have lost interest.  How long are we going to live off the  90’s .    It’s time to clean house get new blood from the athletic  dept, the marketing  dept, and even clean up the sidelines on the hangers ion from that area  Penguin club.   Other than the Tressel era and a  run in the 70.$. Football has been mediocre.

Sometimes I like to post controversial topics to get some excitement on this board. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2023, 11:30:06 AM »
Thanks ysu go for saying it like we all feel.   Your posts are true and make sense.  Whatever the sport GO GUINS!!!!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2023, 12:27:17 PM »
I’m not 100% sure what got into our defense against SIU but we need more of that style of defense week in and week out. That was a complete game by the defense. We can’t go into this dome and put up 35 points and lose. Going to come down to turnovers, penalties and special teams like it usually does on the road in the MVFC.

Go Guins!

Hate to say I told you so. Turnovers, penalties and special teams cost us this game. Always does on the road in MVFC.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

jcrum918@gmail.com

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2023, 03:49:40 PM »
I disagree with any negative comments on here. Bottom line this was a very good team. We played well to come back.  Made too many mistakes down the stretch. Those things we can fix.  We have more talent now than we did in the 90's unfortunately in our conference there is a ton of talent. Tressel could not even win the Gateway. It is hard to win on the road. That being said, we need to learn to do it. Also, did anyone think a few of the big calls that hurt us were the wrong call.  The targeting that was reversed was textbook targeting.  The facemask on offense I didn't see. The league / refs already sent us an apology for allowing Northern Iowa to win on 2 illegal shifts that caused us to jump offsides on critical downs.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2023, 04:19:46 PM »
I disagree with any negative comments on here. Bottom line this was a very good team. We played well to come back.  Made too many mistakes down the stretch. Those things we can fix.  We have more talent now than we did in the 90's unfortunately in our conference there is a ton of talent. Tressel could not even win the Gateway. It is hard to win on the road. That being said, we need to learn to do it. Also, did anyone think a few of the big calls that hurt us were the wrong call.  The targeting that was reversed was textbook targeting.  The facemask on offense I didn't see. The league / refs already sent us an apology for allowing Northern Iowa to win on 2 illegal shifts that caused us to jump offsides on critical downs.

Great points!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2023, 07:04:16 PM »
Again the apologists voice the same excuses. Refs, mistakes, conference to tough to win on the road.  We are better than ever really.  We beat this team by what 20 at home last year I think we beat them the last 2
Times.

Okay so if they are better why?   We spotted what a 24-3 lead it happens over and over.
You have a coach that is clueless on managing time management. 
You have a coach that at times needs to coach like on that last drive.  He gave him that win at end of game.

Our D had idenity.  Nobody fears it.  They do want they want.  Philips hasn’t found a qb and if I think Brungard is the answer  lol.

Not being negative we have seen this over and over  when are we going to see that this conference isnt a good fit.
Even Wolford alluded to this and said he was trying to recruit where they recruit.  Especially for lineman.
But for some reason you guys think being here is the right thing.

All ii can say is look at crowd on Saturday. look at the chatter in here and what do you see is a football program
that is not a player in FCS, the local community that has no interest  at all.
Next year will be a circus unless he finds a good QB etc
Done talking about this Go Pens

A Penguin for life!!!

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2023, 07:07:57 PM »
When you’re ranked #20 and you’re playing #10 on the road and lose by a field goal…isn’t that almost expected? I think some fan’s expectations are really unrealistic.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2023, 08:38:48 PM »
I dont think it's unrealistic.  I believe we are all hoping for a win when it matters.  For nearly 25 years the program has a lot of empty wins.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2023, 10:14:22 PM »

Great points!

WOW typical dumbassery on this board.. Last time I checked Tressel coached 4 years in the "Gateway" Won the national championship 97, National runner up 99 and got bounced in the 1st round in 2000. Who gives a sh** if you win a conference when you make the playoffs   SMFH !  :o Heacock is the only coach to win the Gateway/MVFC crown and did it 2x's

YSU is a shell of itself, shame crap different year. The diehard fans that have followed YSU forever are even sick of this display of football.

Even the exciting roundball team sh** the bed when it counted last year LOL!!

Other than that GoooGuins and "leave no doubt"!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 10:28:10 PM by ysubigred »

jcrum918@gmail.com

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2023, 10:40:00 PM »
Check your facts.  Ysu never won gateway but did win a championship under tressel while in gateway.  Heacock did win Gateway (Mvfc) twice
Including a good run as fcs runners up in 2006.  Similar run in 2016.  Anytime we make playoffs we go deep.  Why? Strength of mvfc! Realistically  though that makes it harder to win regular season games.  Go to the games, support the team.
 Look at it another way. How many NFL players came out of Tressel era?  2 I can think of.  Wilkins and Delgianis.  Today we have 4 players we are following who played here in the last few years on active rosters and making a difference in the NFL. Rivers, McLaughlin, Ogletree and the lineman from last year.  We also had Moss, Rader and the db rivers who went to NFL in the last few years. No question we are more talented than the 90's. It's fun to watch. Go guins.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2023, 06:49:11 AM »
There is nothing more important than winning the conference. If you are one of those "play-off only" fans; is there a better way to guarantee yourself a play-off spot? Also, home games? Wm the conference!!

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2023, 06:56:56 AM »
No offense if you have a family member on the team jcrum, but the talent level now is nowhere near the talent level YSU had in the 90s. The YSU teams of the 90s were loaded with legit D1A/FBS level players. I don’t see very many on the current roster that could play at that level.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 06:57:32 AM by nova75 »

jcrum918@gmail.com

« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2023, 08:27:49 AM »
No connection to the team except being a fan since the late 80's. Talent level across fcs especially MVFC is higher than it was in the 90's. Many more NFL players coming from fcs. I feel our "mediocre" performance as some state has more to do with consistently playing a higher level of talent in Mvfc. I agree we should win conference but we can't get upset when we don't.  To me the proof of the talent is the number of NFL players coming from ysu.  It is much higher than it was in the 90's. I fell in love with the team in the 90's but was always surprised at lack of NFL success.  I remember Leo Hawkins scored a TD for browns in a preseason game but then was cut.