Author Topic: South Dakota Week  (Read 7966 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
South Dakota Week
« on: October 09, 2023, 09:17:17 PM »
Well penguin fans! It is SD week! A tough matchup for two reasons, 1. YSU doesn't seem to do well in domes, 2. It is a MVFC conference foe, and SD is looking tough taking down NDSU at the Fargo Dome!

Now, I think the Penguins balanced offense will actually prove to be a bit of a challenge to SD, but we will see. Anyone have any other predictions?

GO PENGUINS!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: South Dakota Week
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 10:47:31 PM »
I’m not 100% sure what got into our defense against SIU but we need more of that style of defense week in and week out. That was a complete game by the defense. We can’t go into this dome and put up 35 points and lose. Going to come down to turnovers, penalties and special teams like it usually does on the road in the MVFC.

Go Guins!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 11:23:31 PM »
South Dakota earned their win at Fargo even though the statistics heavily favored the Bison. South Dakota won because they hit NDSU with a 50 yard td pass and a 52 yard td pass in the first half. They only threw the ball 12 times in that game, but completed 10 passes.

In their two conference games (against one very good team and one poor team) South Dakota has managed only one quarterback sack. This suggests to me that our balanced offense should cause them problems, as YO has indicated. It is about time that we win a conference game in one of those stupid gyms.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 08:54:23 AM »
First off. I see Midco Sports if not televising the game therefore no local coverage - only on ESPN+.
If this team stands any chance at making the playoffs they need to win 2 games in a row and prove they can win on the road. This is a vanilla team we are playing. We have to be disciplined on defense. Lull you to sleep on running and catching you off guard with long play action passes. Bread and butter. The one area that confounds me is our lack of tight end passes. The teams that have consistently beat us in this conference have had excellent tight ends. We never run our tight ends down the middle of the field to occupy safety’s. I think it’s an area that defenses take advantage of if they know the tight end is not a threat. It’s an area that we need to do better at.

Go Guins!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 10:15:56 AM »
First off. I see Midco Sports if not televising the game therefore no local coverage - only on ESPN+.
If this team stands any chance at making the playoffs they need to win 2 games in a row and prove they can win on the road. This is a vanilla team we are playing. We have to be disciplined on defense. Lull you to sleep on running and catching you off guard with long play action passes. Bread and butter. The one area that confounds me is our lack of tight end passes. The teams that have consistently beat us in this conference have had excellent tight ends. We never run our tight ends down the middle of the field to occupy safety’s. I think it’s an area that defenses take advantage of if they know the tight end is not a threat. It’s an area that we need to do better at.

Go Guins!

Great point on the TE's. Last week we had a new offensive formation with 2 TE's up close in the red. We handed off to the TB, so we really had no use for the TE's, even as a decoy. Maybe we will start doing something with them. I noticed the NFL and Big-10 are going back to the two TE sets.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 11:30:14 AM »

Go Guins!

Great point on the TE's. Last week we had a new offensive formation with 2 TE's up close in the red. We handed off to the TB, so we really had no use for the TE's, even as a decoy. Maybe we will start doing something with them. I noticed the NFL and Big-10 are going back to the two TE sets.

Need I say more. Hero sports TE rankings after 6 weeks:

Tight End
1. Bauer Sharp, Southeastern Louisiana — 90.6

2. Zach Heins, South Dakota State — 81.7

3. Mason Gilbert, Lafayette — 80.4

4. Tyler Neville, Harvard — 78.2

5. Joe Stoffel, North Dakota State — 77.8
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline InTheYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 12:39:34 PM »
We are hosting another YSU Football X/Twitter Space tonight to discuss YSU's big win over #5 SIU and the upcoming road game at #10 South Dakota. We will go live around 8pm. Wanted to pass along to anyone who may want to tune in and share their thoughts on the game! The link is here:
https://x.com/WeAreYoungstown?t=qyssFOSIKMc26eY5BRFZTQ&s=09

Also, please check out the Youngstown Penguin Football Podcast on your favorite podcast streaming app  They are doing a great job recapping all of our matchups each week. They had a podcast last night.

We are trying to get the program some additional coverage like some bigger programs are accustomed to.

Beat USD!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 01:28:30 PM »
Watched the NDSU vs USD game yesterday. Seems to me that USD is much like Norhtern Iowa in that they have big O and D lines and a FBS transfer QB who is a big stong guy, but not much of a runner. Their running game is ok but not great. Both their O and D are slower than our guys. We should be ok if we don't just try to over power them on line play; we need to use our speed advantage much like last week against SIU. Need to pressure the QB; not sure our 4 man D line can pressure the passer. I feel good about our chances, but again I am just a fan. And we have won very few road games the last few years.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 02:17:07 PM »
Is the game on TV this Saturday?  Any local stations carrying the game? 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 05:00:47 PM »
We won against them the last 2 times right?  Last one was a blow out? Should be a win nothing less
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 07:12:18 PM »
We won against them the last 2 times right?  Last one was a blow out? Should be a win nothing less

They got a bunch of transfers.  They have several Ohio and Florida kids now on their roster.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2023, 01:23:20 PM »
If we can continue to get pressure on the qb we have a good chance of making playoffs.   So the question is how do we respond from our game against SIU.  One only knows

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2023, 01:35:14 PM »

They got a bunch of transfers.  They have several Ohio and Florida kids now on their roster.

So what  if this team is better and deeper as per some of your assessment shouldn’t be a big deal.

Should be a win.  No excuses
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2023, 05:56:26 PM »

So what  if this team is better and deeper as per some of your assessment shouldn’t be a big deal.

Should be a win.  No excuses

When you look at the players getting honors across the FCS, we don't really have much in the way of those awards.  Makes me think that we really play as team a d the success is shared for whoever can take it.  It think this will be a tough game.  That's why they are played. 

However,  what I was eluding to is.......how did we let Ohio kids escape? Why don't we go after more FL kids too?