Author Topic: SIU Week  (Read 6436 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SIU Week
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2023, 09:47:33 PM »
D brought the pressure all game.  6 yards rushing 96 passing.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

BushwoodCC

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2023, 10:07:18 PM »
So if we go and have a losing record this year I believe Phillips will be or should be let go.  There are plenty of hungry coaches out there that are looking for a good job.
Plenty of coaches.

Love seeing Coach Phillips and this team make a statement tonight and quiet people like this guy.

Go YSU

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2023, 10:11:37 PM »
I am not a big fan of pointing out comparative scores but this one is just too nice to pass up. SIU beat NIU by 3 and today NIU beat the zits by 41. sweet

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2023, 10:21:09 PM »
Awesome performance by the defense and offense.  Missed fg and we would have performed in all phases of rhe game.  We should be ranked in top 20 now. Cannot believe that they were ranked 5th.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2023, 11:26:47 PM »
Excellent win over a top 10 FCS opponent who also has a MAC win on their resume!

My only reservation is that we had a similar dominant win against SDSU in 2017… and that season ended horribly. Hope we can build on this momentum!!!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2023, 11:49:03 PM »
I hope we don't let this win get to our heads.  We have a team in South Dakota at their place next week. They are on a roll.   We have trouble in domes.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2023, 11:04:04 AM »
SIU was so not a top 5 team.  As soon as they lined up against us especially on D they looked small.  They made no adjustments on offense.  Good Win but means nothing if we keep loosing to the Dakotas.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2023, 11:37:39 AM »
Southern Illinois was playing without their top running back and top receiver, but that hardly mattered as we dominated their o-line. If Baker were less mobile and elusive, we would have had at least a dozen sacks.

I agree with Pride. We better keep our focus. Every game in this league is a struggle. Heck, UNI almost lost to Indiana State yesterday. We have turned in some terrible performances in the South Dakota gym. And that against a team that we blow out in Youngstown nearly every time.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2023, 03:50:51 PM »
Did not see any interviews, did DP comment on why he decided to keep the 3 points on the board?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2023, 05:38:33 PM »
Yo, I admire your enthusiasm and your optimism. But our pass defense is garbage, worse even than last season. We can't compete with any quality team in the MVFC
Want any of this post retracted? 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2023, 05:42:01 PM »
Nothing is coming out of his press conferences. This week's is almost a joke. We should have done a serious number on UNI. Instead he tells us that not only was our run coverage terrible, so was our pass coverage. As if w needed to be told. We should be a much better team than Weber State. Weber may make the post season, but it is long-shot. This opportunity to win (and win big) against UNI will not present itself again until Farley retires.. We have 3 more losses on our schedule, even if we do show up and play. Hint, this Saturday is not one of them. That is one loss too many for any kind of post-season. UNI will not make the post-season either. I really am asking for Phillips to "turn in his badge". With the portal there is no hope for this team. I know it sounds drastic, but we have no choice.

I couldn't disagree more.
Penguinepower. I agree with you 100%   Weplay3d a bunch of man on man last night with great success. BLITZ AND GO MAN way to play

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2023, 05:45:53 PM »
SIU=L
South Dakota=L
SDSU=L
MSU=?
INS=W
ILS=W
Murray=W

I actually think we will win this weekend. Still holding out hope we have some sort of a team here. The portal has really helped USD and UND compete with the xDSU's.
Portal helping us too. King Oliver and others a portal hole fillers. King may not be a McMlguan (who scored again today) but is darn good.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2023, 05:56:40 PM »
So if we go and have a losing record this year I believe Phillips will be or should be let go.  There are plenty of hungry coaches out there that are looking for a good job.
Plenty of coaches.
Your statement might have made some sense maybe 30 years ago but you don't have a good job to offer. Some college Coordinator jobs are over a million you offer marginal recent history and a couple hundred thousand in a crap town to bring a family.   We're lucky to get a class guy like coach Phlipps.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2023, 07:10:48 PM »
Dominating performance last night.  While SIU was overrated, we still played exceptionally well. More importantly we did it with less penalties.

They showed their capability. Now we need consistency from both coaches and players.  We are a legitimate contender if we play like we did last night every single game.

Let's see what team shows up next week.  Hopefully something good has happened in a permanent kind of way.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2023, 07:41:42 PM »
Still have to finish the season with a playoff selection and we are so close to being good.   He needs to clean house of the D Coordinator and possibly the O Coordinator if we don't make the playoffs .  We don't even play NDSU this year so we have a chance.   Go Guins!!!!