Author Topic: YSU poor handicap parking  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU poor handicap parking
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2023, 09:52:56 AM »
IAAFAN, you are right. The Wick shuttle bus started in Wick deck. It then travelled to pickup people the handicap lot, the “the cheap tailgate lot,. Then everyone was dropped off by the north entrance of the stadium.
That shuttle was stopped as I mentioned.

BushwoodCC

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2023, 06:12:11 PM »
Just saw this pop up on the WFMJ Nightly 6pm News. Thanks to this forum, YSU has clarified the miscommunication over handicapped parking. The new lot by DeBartolo Hall is now used for handicapped parking. From there, YSU parking will use golf cart shuttles to transport fans to the stadium.

Link: https://www.wfmj.com/story/49638992/ysu-addresses-confusion-on-new-parking-situation-for-football-games

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2023, 08:31:09 PM »
Just saw this pop up on the WFMJ Nightly 6pm News. Thanks to this forum, YSU has clarified the miscommunication over handicapped parking. The new lot by DeBartolo Hall is now used for handicapped parking. From there, YSU parking will use golf cart shuttles to transport fans to the stadium.

Link: https://www.wfmj.com/story/49638992/ysu-addresses-confusion-on-new-parking-situation-for-football-games

Thank you for posting the link. Since I was quoted in the article, I didn’t really want to make any more comments on this topic.

Since golf cart was mentioned to be used for handicap transportation, I thought I would share this true story with this group.

One of my faculty colleagues whom I watched the game with told me what had happened to him after the previous game.

He and his wife were making the long walk back to the Wick parking deck after the game (since the shuttle bus was discontinued). Suddenly, a golf cart pull up behind them and the driver asked where they were going.
He told the driver that he was heading to the Wick deck. The driver told them to jump in since he was going that way.
Guess who the driver was?……President Jim Tressel.
That’s Jim.

I hope YSU has enough golf cart to take all the handicap/old people back to the handicap parking lots after the game.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2023, 11:35:02 PM »
Congratulations to ET and others who once again forced the university to take action. As for the director of parking who admitted "information did not get out well enough," just whose job was it to inform the fans, you worthless (fill in the blank.)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2023, 07:19:07 AM »

Nice find!

Not clear to me if YSU is watching this forum or WFMJ, thinking WFMJ in this case, but good to hear that they have a plan. YSU should have come up with a better way to get that info out to the public.

Is that lot where the old deck used to be?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Coriesmom

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2023, 09:42:06 PM »
Today, Sept 16 2023, my husband and I attempted to park in the "handicap lot". He uses a wheelchair and needs accessible spaces. We were informed by Parking Services that the designated handicap lot is NOT to be used by disabled persons who are arriving to tailgate. They will not allow anyone to use the lot until 90 minutes prior to kickoff and it is solely for parking for the game. We were told to "find" another place to park for tailgating. There are no other lots with accessible spots for tailgating. We ended up 2 blocks away in a lot without any hcp spots and barely enough room to maneuver his wheelchair.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2023, 08:56:39 AM »
Today, Sept 16 2023, my husband and I attempted to park in the "handicap lot". He uses a wheelchair and needs accessible spaces. We were informed by Parking Services that the designated handicap lot is NOT to be used by disabled persons who are arriving to tailgate. They will not allow anyone to use the lot until 90 minutes prior to kickoff and it is solely for parking for the game. We were told to "find" another place to park for tailgating. There are no other lots with accessible spots for tailgating. We ended up 2 blocks away in a lot without any hcp spots and barely enough room to maneuver his wheelchair.

Sorry to hear what happened to you, obviously some work needs to be done on planning for all situations and then informing folks. We need all fans to be happy and enjoy a good gameday experience.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2023, 10:02:19 AM »

It looks like nothing has changed since 2 years ago. We had the similar problems. This time, you guys were not allowed to park there because you planned to tailgate ( although you were handicap).
Last time, we were not allowed to park there because we didn’t have a handicap pass.
That was the reason  why the Wick deck shuttle was so important. That were enough parking spaces for those who were not very mobile or old (not necessarily handicap) to have access to the stadium.
It looks like they really didn’t address the core issue (to provide valuable services to the paying customers) … with the parking fee, one would think it could be budgeted in to provide the shuttle services. If not, for one, I am willing to pay couple of dollars for the ride. By the way, many shuttle buses had over 20 people on it by the time it reached the stadium. How many golf carts would be needed for that?
Now, they are not getting my $$ for the tickets and parking fees.
Does it sound like a good business practice to anyone???

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2023, 11:32:46 AM »
Yall b**** too much. Handicap parking is provided that's where the responsibility of the university ends. They charge 5.00 dollars and news flash you don't tell them you are tailgating you pull in pay the 5 and do what you want.

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2023, 12:20:35 PM »
I agree with Jp21 why would you mention tailgating to the attendant?

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2023, 05:41:28 PM »
You can be technically right yet morally wrong.

She does not state what time they arrived.

YSU is not a two-bit online school, I would expect that they could and should have foreseen such situations and planned accordingly.

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2023, 02:06:49 AM »
Jp21 has a very cavalier attitude about this handicap parking mess. Pushing a wheelchair 3 blocks away from the stadium , all uphill is not an easy task. I suggest jp21 make plans next game day to meet this family and help them out.