Author Topic: Valpo Game Thread  (Read 4225 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Valpo Game Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2023, 08:45:24 AM »
I only watched the first half.

1. Crowd was what I expected. Why!  Playing a non scholly crap team.  Fair ,  can I say playing a non scholly crap team.  Thursday night game. Is a hard draw as well right before Labor Day. 
2.  So as a fan knowing that we are playing  the non scholly crap team if I’m not motivated.  Do you really think the team is.  That’s where coaching come in and in the first half we were not getting it done.
3  These kind of games we should win by that margin.
4,  But to make any kind of assessment  on who whst where why because of  playing the non scholly crap team is impossible. 
5,  My point is  it was a  waste of time for me as a fan  to watch  this.  I will watch the second half.
6.  A win is a win though,  and I do feel we  are  looking bigger and  have  some takent.  I’m concerned  when we hit  the meat off. The schedule do we have enough speec and guys that can make chunk plays on offense to make up the loss of Jaleel.  On defense  we need to get more push from the D line  if we have to pressure with linebackers etc  our conference will eat us up with crossing routes  etc. 
AGAIN THE  COMPETITION ITS. HARD  TO   MAKE  ANY ASSESSMENT

A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2023, 09:18:56 AM »
After the first half, I was afraid the repeat of the Butler games.
I do not understand how we could give up a TD. Even an average high school corner back knows that, with less a minute to go in the half, you do not fall for a double move to let the receiver get behind you. I really think the DB was trying to get an Int by coming towards the ball. Oops, the receiver broke up field …..

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2023, 10:52:09 AM »
They played EVERYONE.  We did what we needed to do.  The second half was completely dominant.  The play calling in the first half wasn't helpful and the dropped passes and penalties impacted the game.  But when they turned it on it, it looked good. Concerned about not getting pressure without the LB's.

LB play was the best I've seen in a long time.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2023, 10:59:51 AM »
Not trying to say that they come from a good league but for the record Valpo does seem to off some schollys.

Quick search found this - This is the Valparaiso University (Indiana) Football scholarship and program information page. Here you can explore important information about Valparaiso University Football. This information is very valuable for all high school student-athletes to understand as they start the recruiting process. Valparaiso University is located in Valparaiso, IN and the Football program competes in the Pioneer Football League conference.
Valparaiso University does offer athletic scholarships for Football. Need-based and academic scholarships are available for student-athletes. Athletic scholarships are available for NCAA Division I, NCAA Division II, NAIA and NJCAA. On average, 34% of all student-athletes receive athletic scholarships.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2023, 12:30:36 PM »
Dont forget Valpo drove to the one yard line so that could have bewen another score (in the 1st half)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 12:31:33 PM by YSU1 »

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2023, 01:00:51 PM »
Good God. Can we please bury the “where’s the crowd” comments and replies already? That dead horse has been beaten so many times already it’s physically, mentally and emotionally exhausting.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2023, 02:42:10 PM »
Good God. Can we please bury the “where’s the crowd” comments and replies already? That dead horse has been beaten so many times already it’s physically, mentally and emotionally exhausting.

Well said. ESPN+ is the causal fan's best friend. The crowds are not coming back. Enjoy the games!

Those penalties are unacceptable. Targeting, taunting, ripping a helmet off, all in the same night. Ridiculous and it has to stop.

If the o-line does the job, our stable of running backs will be fine.

I suspect that we saw very little of the offensive playbook last night. No reason to be creative until Northern Iowa.

Brungard threw an excellent medium distance pass that set up the last touchdown. He has potential if we don't expect him to operate inside a pocket.

Kickers looked like they will be fine. Excellent coverage on our numerous kickoffs.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2023, 03:19:28 PM »
Evaluation:
1.  Great tailgate
2.  Penalties were disappointing
3.  No pressure on QB - need to fix that!
4.  Need to improve run game especially this week  can’t be going three and out against Valpo let alone OSU. Will make for a long game for defense.
5.  Need to improve discipline!! Can’t have unsportsmanlike penalties!!
6.  Go to Columbus. Exit the busses. Keep the busses running. Play hard with no injuries. Get the check. Enter busses. Head home and get ready for Bobby amp and especially UNI.

Go Guins!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2023, 04:02:48 PM »
Typically game ONE is a vanilla offensive scheme.  However., I'm not sure the OC has another scheme.  The coach needs a signature victory.  A 3-1 start would provide that but after last evening a lot needs to improve.   Anything less than a playoff berth and home game with our schedule would be a failure in year 4 for this coach. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 04:16:00 PM by goodnews »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2023, 07:34:20 PM »
I was a bit disappointed in our performance as most have noted. The run game may be acceptable with King at rb. I was hoping that our d line would provide pressure on the qb, but not so.

I think this may be year 4, but the 1st 2 really don't count as 2 years with the covid disaster. We did not get the recruiting or development those years. The playoffs are expected, but not an easy job in our league with our team. I sure hope we make it.

OSU will be interesting. I hope it is not a complete beat down. I think OSU will not take it easy on us and try to run up the score for their ratings. We need to bring our A game and hope for the best. I attended the last 2 times there, but won't be attending this year.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2023, 11:29:45 AM »
Coach Day has no ties to Youngstown!  Expect a thorough a==whipping!

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2023, 03:04:28 PM »
Maybe I missed this noticed RB from liberty did not play. In Jersey and sneakers on side lines? THANKS

GOOOO GUINS!!!!!!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2023, 04:52:33 PM »
I heard that the Liberty tail back was not 100%, just 85%, so he was held out of the game. He has had trouble staying health. I think King is as good or better.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2023, 09:24:26 PM »
Playoffs or bust!  Everyone else had to deal with covid too.  Keep in mind the coach is going nowhere.  The AD doesn't generate enough money to pay for a replacement.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2023, 02:05:00 AM »
I think the Ohio State game is gonna be closer than people think. I still think Ohio State wins comfortably though. Maybe like a 49-10 final score?