Author Topic: Track  (Read 763 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Track
« on: July 06, 2023, 06:10:04 AM »
We have a very good program, why is she leaving her hometown school?

OXFORD, Mississippi (WKBN) – Former Youngstown East and Youngstown State track standout Jahniya Bowers is transferring to Ole Miss to compete in the SEC.

Ole Miss announced the transfer on social media.

For her efforts this past season at YSU, Bowers was named Outstanding Running Performer in the Horizon League.

Bowers was among 12 YSU athletes to qualify for the NCAA East Preliminary Round, competing in the 100. She posted a time of 11.29 seconds which was good enough for a 16th-place finish.

Back in May, while competing for YSU, Bowers once again dominated the Horizon League Championships, winning both the 100 (11.53) and 200 meter dash (23.84) for her second career crown in both events outdoors. She previously won both events in 2021.

Bowers also was a key part of the Horizon League record-setting 4×100 relay team that finished in first place at the Horizon League Championships.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline SAHDPanda

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Track
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 11:39:47 AM »
I would assume the facilities at a top SEC school would be superior to what we offer for track.

Maybe a better NIL opportunity?

Whatever the reason I wish her luck.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Track
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 04:48:06 PM »
I agree that money might well have been involved, as well as the lure of the so-called big time. She is not the first elite athlete that we have lost in this new age of college sports. We lost a softball pitcher to the Big Ten recently. The best volleyball player in the conference just left us (I don't know her destination.)  So as our coaches raid other schools for talent, so competitors will do the same to us. Welcome to the Wild West of modern NCAA sports.