Author Topic: Transfer Portal  (Read 20389 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Portal
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2023, 12:45:51 PM »
So did anybody read the kids bio at Tech. Played at a couple of junior colleges Covid happened and then
Other college sd they were dropping Basketball. The kid looks like
he came up in a tough area in Oakland and didn’t have much benefit of having support system or have parents that can afford to have him play AAU or whatever which can cost a lot.  The Kid thought he was done after Covid.  But it looks like he is driven and doesn’t want to give up. I would take 5 of those guys instead of some spoiled kid. We don’t know what agreement he had with the Tech coach.  I’m  sure  Calhoun did his due diligence.  Plus maybe the NiL we offer is better. He might have to support his family.  You guys are already labeling him  before even the paint is dry.   

What I see is a baller who  wanted to come to play here.  This wouldn’t have happened 5 years ago.  Welcome aboard Mr.  Thompson!!!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 04:57:28 PM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2023, 03:39:07 PM »
I'm with YSUGO on this one.   There are a lot of players who have been to multiple schools .  Just off the top of my head last years starting point guard Bryce McBride went to two jucos,Eastern Michigan,and YSU.
Amari Davis who played for Wright State last season started at Green Bay transfered to Iowa State and is now at the University of Tampa.
Only know about Brett Thompson's through the article and I'm sure he's had some tough times but seems to keep on perservering.   Glad he's a penguin.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2023, 05:25:34 PM »
I fully agree with Penguin Nick.  This kid had a GPA of 1.9 and originally didn't qualify to play at tech until he took online classes to get him to play and be eligible.  He seems by the video like a quality player as he averaged  12 pts a game and started.   The question is why would he transfer then from Tech.   Mind boggling.  I'll take him for a year then he is done i guess.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2023, 05:33:24 PM »
We probably have had the top transfer class come in besides the two Wisconsin teams.  They both did well too.
Detroit recruited well as they have tons of big men.  Only thing is if we can get them to all mesh with Rush and Lovelace

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2023, 03:03:38 AM »
Myles Hunter signed with Tampa.  Thought he would go to  Div 1 school.   Best of luck to Myles.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2023, 05:33:28 PM »
Shemar Rathan-Mayes signed with UNCW a few weeks ago.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 03:41:33 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2023, 08:06:08 PM »
Never knew we were recruiting him.  Good shooter from the looks of the videos.  We need that.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2023, 08:22:25 PM »
Dude has moves with the dribble we need.  Comes from a big school in Pittsburg.   Nice

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2023, 02:21:24 PM »
No inside info but thinking based on numbers juco David Wilkerson MIGHT not be in this recruiting class.  He was the only one that didn't sign that I know of.

Thinking that Depante might not of had any other d1 offers.  I could be wrong but found nothing on any recruiting info.   His biggest adjustment like many freshmen will be strength and speed at the next level .   I see him like Lucarotti/Vargo type.  Best basketball is 2/3 years from now but guys don't hang around like they used to and develop since the portal is available.   
Hope I'm wrong and sees the court early but it's a deep experienced roster ahead of him and he has to know that.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2023, 03:05:40 PM »
The kid pushed off every defender on the way to the hoop.  I thought I was watching the NBA.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 02, 2023, 08:33:20 PM »
He had offers from Duquesne, St Francis(pa) and Robert Morris and YSU.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 02, 2023, 10:36:20 PM »
He had offers from Duquesne, St Francis(pa) and Robert Morris and YSU.

Decent offers.  Wonder why he was such a late commit.    Pride where did you find those offers ?

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2023, 07:48:27 AM »
Verbal commits type in his name and now has North Florida and Radford but no Ysu, Duquesne or St Francis.  Just what I heard researching the kid.. seems like a real sleeper kinda reminds me of that kid from Oakland from like 10 years ago..cannot recall the name though

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2023, 03:46:25 PM »
I saw Depante had offers from N.Florida and Radford.   So he had a few d1 offers.

I'm hoping coach has a press conference this week to announce and go over his 11 new players.   Last year this happened in April but this season getting everyone to sign took longer.