Author Topic: Transfer Portal  (Read 20373 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Portal
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2023, 08:15:31 AM »
He has 7 rebounds a game and 9 puts.   Calhoun likes the portal for sure.   Of our 11 newcomers I believe that only two or three are straight out of High School.  One being 7-3 and I believe that the one from Philly area is 6-8.  We are going overseas I hear in the summer .  Not sure where.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2023, 12:20:02 PM »
He has 7 rebounds a game and 9 puts.   Calhoun likes the portal for sure.   Of our 11 newcomers I believe that only two or three are straight out of High School.  One being 7-3 and I believe that the one from Philly area is 6-8.  We are going overseas I hear in the summer .  Not sure where.

Every 4 years the NCAA allows for an over seas trip.  YSU went to the Virgin island in August of 2019 so they're most likely going this summer.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2023, 12:59:27 PM »
Where we going though?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2023, 03:06:57 PM »
  Once you start using using the portal, you have not choice but to keep using it, as it takes over your program. It certainly has taken over ours.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2023, 05:18:34 PM »
  Once you start using using the portal, you have not choice but to keep using it, as it takes over your program. It certainly has taken over ours.

I agree. Calhoun has all but abandoned player development in exchange for instant winning. Enjoy this while you can.  When Calhoun leaves, whether for West Virginia or someplace else, what will be left behind for YSU basketball?  Probably not much.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2023, 05:56:45 PM »

Maybe .   He brought in 3 frosh and 1 juco this year.   IF they come back the following season along with Lovelace,Farmer,and Zorgvol that is 7.  If he then brings in 4 frosh again he's at 11 and only 2 can come from the portal.
The big if is if all 7 return and the other big if is whether he brings 4 from the hs ranks.   

Coach C made an extra 100k in his new contract and it's a no-brainer getting upper classmen in the portal with guys like Cohill,Green,Nelson,and Rush helped put that cash in his pocket so maybe you're right that getting portal experienced players is his best option for that next big job or another raise.

The portal and Calhoun equated to Youngstown's first D1 conference championship and most wins in YSU D1 history so I'm going sit back and enjoy the ride.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2023, 06:50:32 PM »
UCFPengbuck you hit the nail on the head.  Portal is the way to go now leaving high school players kinda in the dust.  Whatever it takes to win at YSU i am for it.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2023, 09:24:21 PM »
UCFPengbuck you hit the nail on the head.  Portal is the way to go now leaving high school players kinda in the dust.  Whatever it takes to win at YSU i am for it.

I still think it's important to bring in quality hs players and I'm sure Calhoun does too.  It's tough since all kids want playing time but it's hard for freshmen to compete vs portal experienced upper classmen.   Lovelace was an exception who got a lot of minutes as a true freshmen while we've seen many who are stuck on the bench and eventually transfer.       
I don't think  this is isolated to just YSU.   I think a lot schools and especially mid-majors are trying to to figure how manuever through the right frosh/portal combination.
Bottom line is winning and winning puts more fans in the seats and more money to the university.

I'm probably naively hoping we can get to the point where we don't see the mass exodus every season and see more continuity but that's probably won't happen.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 09:25:13 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2023, 10:36:18 AM »
YSU has 3 freshman i believe for next year.   I think the best of them could be the kid from Philly named Christian Kirkland and he is listed at 6-6 to 6-8 depending on various sites have him listed at and plays like Lovelace.  Hope he pans out.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Porta
« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2023, 11:27:34 AM »
I love what Calhoun was doing with using the portal.  It evens the playing field some due to our lack of money for recruiting and what we pay for coaches.  Hell even his mentor uses it down in WV.  Old school as we know is dead .  Kids aren’t going to wait to play. And even if they do they can leave anyways.  Kids aren’t even staying at the blue blood schools.  It’s the portal and NIL.  Embrace it.  It got us an NIT bid.  Mike Rice, Dan Peters never achieved that and they were decent coaches
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2023, 11:40:49 AM »
I noticed that basketball players have become more like football players. Planing to sit out their freshman year (or at least play below the maximum allowable amount). However, what I expect is an  increasing amount of frosh jumping into the portal with these small collegiate resumes, which will soon be the standard path. All the portal has done (for MBB) is shortened Collegiate careers & started kids seeing playing time earlier. This might be a good thing at some point, I mean the intellect of the average athlete is not exactly at the academic scholarship level. We will just have to accept that fewer and the fewer college players will be around for 4-years (in any sport impacted by the portal). Then there will be the large chunk that jump after only a year. Then when they increase the amount of money these kids are paid, college ball will just become a farm system. I would love to see fans more involved in players educations. We should see their schedules, attendance and grade sheets each quarter, just as we see their playing stats now.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 11:42:47 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2023, 01:14:30 PM »
All points are on target with the portal. Remember it is here to stay and looks like we have adapted to it quite well.  Mixture of freshman, Juco, and portal will be needed each and every year to survive.  It is the new way mid-majors survive in this day and age.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2023, 10:06:48 AM »
Sounds like Thompson has a lot of baggage following him around.  Good thing we only have him for 1 year because he seems to not stick around at one place too often

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2023, 10:28:40 AM »
From YsuPride:  "Sounds like Thompson has a lot of baggage following him around.  Good thing we only have him for 1 year because he seems to not stick around at one place too often"

Anyone who constantly transfers this much has issues.  It seems that every time things don't go his way he looks for the easy way out and transfers. Why isn't he staying at Ten. Tech?  When the transfer portal was ok'd, I thought you could only transfer once for "free?"  After that one time you had to sit out a year.  Now I read that this has changed.  This is garbage, there is no way this guy is getting an education and most likely he is not good enough to play in the NBA, but I'm sure through the years he has been told that he is good enough.  There is no way all the classes he has taken in all his years in higher ed. will transfer.  When his eligibility is up he will have no degree.  Another reason to overhaul the transfer portal.