Author Topic: Transfer Portal  (Read 20395 times)

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Portal
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2023, 06:41:18 PM »
Yep! And believe me, they were laughing at YSU, and wanted us out of the league!  But remember who left, Butler, UIC, Loyola, Valpo!  Can you imagine a good YSU team with those teams in the league still along with NKU, Cleveland St, Wright State, Milwaukee and Green Bay!  I'd say that would be pretty respectable!

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2023, 07:08:22 PM »
Better things to come in 23-24.  Watch!!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2023, 07:09:57 PM »
I can never complain about the portal as a YSU fan.   All five starters transfered in to the program as Juniors or grad seniors which gave us our first ever conference championship.   Coach C seems to be mixing in a few hs recruits and maximizing the portal.   It's a daunting process and not sure there is a perfect combination especially when the frosh have to sit their first and possibly second year as the experienced transfer step in.

I'm still curious if YSU is done or still looking to sign one more.  It looks like as of today YSU has 12 either signed or committed.   We'll probably see a press conference in the next couple weeks .

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2023, 09:59:09 AM »
two things:

1. We do nothing different than anyone else when it comes to the portal & all of our portal players are already gone. It is useless.

2. YSU was NEVER recruited to the conference for men's basketball. Just the opposite. They wanted a week men's team.. What we were recruited for (and we failed to provide for quite some time) was a good woman's team. The conference was sick of UWGB winning the conference and doing nothing in the NCAA's. YSU had  good coach and program. Also YSU promised to complete all title IX requirements. We have no chance at being a pivotal program in MBB, but we do have a chance at being pivotal in several women's sports. Our Women's Divers were were great and the NCAA was just about to rule that swimming & diving would be separated. In men's sports, we are a football school. NOTHING ELSE. I mean we have more football tailgaters than basketball fans & most fans pay nothing to get in.

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2023, 10:03:49 PM »
I totally disagree 1-AA, Totally with your comments.  Men's basketball and football can be successful.  Portal helps men's team so much.  Remember this past season?  We won the regular Men's championship and not any of the women's basketball team ever won it last time I checked.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2023, 09:41:24 AM »
Don't know if there really is an answer Pride; I guess we will have to see how the portal works out. The only way YSU out-performs our conference members (in the portal) is if we stay at the top of the conference and don't have another embarrassing 1st-round loss in the Horizon tourney.  It will still boil down to what YSU can give recruits (legally) to keep them. and that is just not something we have had resources to do. I still believe we need to keep the focus on FB and women's sports.

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2023, 07:08:39 AM »
Last time I heard we got a big donation from a donor bringing the NIL collective to around or over 300k for men's basketball only.  Just saying

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2023, 07:20:33 PM »
From my count we have 11 players on Scholarship and Fryda a walk on       We need 1 more correct?

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2023, 09:25:06 PM »
From my count we have 11 players on Scholarship and Fryda a walk on       We need 1 more correct?

D1 basketball = 13 ships so we have two openings.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2023, 11:43:43 PM »
Looks like we added depth at point guard.    I think from checking he transferred from NKU a year ago and it looks like he didn't play this past season or I can't find any info.

Three year starter at NKU.

https://twitter.com/straight_hoopin/status/1659363248917954561/photo/1

https://nkunorse.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22#individual

https://nkunorse.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/bryson-langdon/5092
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 11:47:10 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2023, 10:12:29 AM »
Small guard for sure.  He didn't do much against us when he played though..    From the looks of things he has only 1 year left I believe.  Am I correct?   Did average over 10 pts a game a a sophomore at NKU.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2023, 01:37:59 PM »
Small guard for sure.  He didn't do much against us when he played though..    From the looks of things he has only 1 year left I believe.  Am I correct?   Did average over 10 pts a game a a sophomore at NKU.

Sounds correct.   Must be decent if he was a 3 year starter at NKU.   Wondering if he's better than Shemar or aboutt equal ?

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2023, 05:41:08 PM »
If you search his name you can find out good stuff about him and some video of him.  Seems like a good player too me.  Small but effective and can really pass the ball.  Seems like we have a connection with NKU players now.
I'm excited for the season to begin in November

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 09:07:33 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2023, 05:23:48 AM »
Was 2nd best players for Rattlers was 1 of 9 transfers brought in the Year before.  The top player transferred earlier in April.  Looks like he is a high energy player.  The RATTLERS. only won 6 games last year but the played a brutal non conference schedule I think. 
A Penguin for life!!!