Author Topic: Transfer Portal  (Read 21285 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Portal
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2023, 02:07:48 PM »
Shemar has entered the portal.. geez

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2023, 05:09:41 PM »

Not really a surprise, he didn’t get much playing time toward the end of the season. Coach must be looking for another point guard. With him gone, we don’t have one.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2023, 05:15:45 PM »

Not really a surprise, he didn’t get much playing time toward the end of the season. Coach must be looking for another point guard. With him gone, we don’t have one.

I'm pretty sure Brett Thompson who transferred in is a point guard.   Shemar started a lot of games at YSU so I wish him the best.  I always thought his size worked against him.
Coach needs to go get some depth at pg.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2023, 07:12:42 PM »
We need to sign Jason Edwards of Dodge City CC.  He is a PG and got 22 pts a game and we are heavily recruiting him.   He has lots of offers so its going to go down to the wire when he makes a decision.  He it BETTER than CoHill.  Check out the video of him.  Amazing

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2023, 07:23:12 PM »
Jason Edwards if 6-0 and video of him is dynamite and he looks better than CoHill did at this point of his career and he was 1st team Div 1 JUCO.   Hard to get though he as 25 or Div 1offers and we are one of them. 
We shall see.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2023, 08:08:04 PM »
YSU has only three players returning from last years roster.

1. B Rush
2. J Lovelace
3. J Irwin

I'm sure YSU is all in on Jason Edwards but I might take the field on this one.   Coach C is no dummy so I'm sure he'll have a point guard sooner than later.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2023, 10:49:07 AM »
Can't say I'm super surprised by Shemar...I was hoping at this point he was staying.

He went from starting at the beginning of the year to not even playing by season's end.  It seemed like after he got snowed in in Toronto and missed practice his playing time was never the same.  Then add in that injury after that that kept him out, but when he returned he barely played. 

I agree it seemed like his size was an issue at times, but I did like watching him running the point and he seemed to have a high iq.  I'm guessing too he figured with all these incoming transfers the same thing was probably going to happen again this year. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2023, 09:28:10 AM »
Dump the Portal.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2023, 10:40:21 AM »
Dump the Portal.

Philosophically, I agree with you. This portal has wrecked college sports as we have known them. College rosters now resemble those of minor league baseball teams: here today, gone tomorrow.

However, since this is the new reality and we can not change it, be grateful that Calhoun has mastered the new rules. Let's hope that his second batch of transfers can mesh together into a cohesive unit.  That is not guaranteed.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2023, 09:41:06 PM »
Dump the Portal.

Philosophically, I agree with you. This portal has wrecked college sports as we have known them. College rosters now resemble those of minor league baseball teams: here today, gone tomorrow.

However, since this is the new reality and we can not change it, be grateful that Calhoun has mastered the new rules. Let's hope that his second batch of transfers can mesh together into a cohesive unit.  That is not guaranteed.

I agree
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2023, 03:57:45 AM »
College basketball was wrecked  before the portal.  Actually I feel  the portal is what’s helping programs like YSU have a chance with slim recruiting and coaching salary budgets.  With the kids able to transfer now and now not have to sit out this the equalizer. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2023, 12:40:37 PM »
Coach C could do what he is doing at YSU with or without the portal, but correct it is more of an equalizer!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2023, 08:46:14 AM »
It is not an equalizer unless they restrict which schools can use it. Otherwise the portal only does what they want it to do in the first place ...allow power programs to trade players between themselves. Why does everyone think that a mid-major program is even a thought in this?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 08:47:22 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2023, 11:24:41 AM »
It may be, but Fla International and San Diego State are more on par with the Power boys now! And Saint Peters scared the hell out of everyone not too long ago. 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2023, 04:51:34 PM »
The portal and the recruits we received got us to where we are.  It got us to be the number 1 seed.  We did that ion a budget of peanuts.  Think of that.  It accelerated our rebuilding the program.  It took us out of the laughing stock of basketball. 
A Penguin for life!!!