Author Topic: March Madness should be our focus not football.  (Read 4583 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: March Madness should be our focus not football.
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2023, 01:31:39 PM »
YSUinBoston you hit the nail on the head. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2023, 01:51:05 PM »
Boston,

You should run the NCAA and impose this excellent system on the membership.  Every single school in America would benefit from your proposal. The days of FBS pretenders squandering millions in student fees in a forlorn attempt to be considered the equal of OSU, Alabama, or Notre Dame would mercifully come to an end.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2023, 04:03:28 PM »
No reason you can’t do both with the portal.

Go Guins!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2023, 11:42:41 AM »
I think Jim Calhoun would challenge where UConn's basketball prowess originated from.

let him. Then you can see 13 NCAA WBB trophies. no one else is even close. Especially when you consider how much shorter the women have played , Look at OSU. Football school, incredible WBB program and an adequate MBB program. Women outsell the men many times in a given season. Yes I do understand that it is easier to do that when you hail from a conference that is going to go 6-9 deep. It makes no sense to complicate matters because a kid thinks he screwed up and wants a "redo". It should be illegal to talk with any player once they have committed. Now if a player wants to play a year without a scholarship. Then we can talk. That will never happen.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 12:09:30 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2023, 12:06:30 PM »
I am sure the MAC wouldn't willingly go down to FCS. My vision is a new structure to college football. I doubt Charlie Baker has the imagination for something radical though. Anyway----there is a level of college football that is really semi-pro football. The interest level and attendance is similar to the NFL. A good number of the student athletes are not serious students. There are currently ~130 FBS programs and ~125 FCS programs. I would suggest a three division format instead.

Division A-----This would be the top 64 programs in college football that are playing in your tradition Power 5 level of football. Split the league into 8 regions with 8 teams per region or something to that effect.

Division B----This would be the next 100 or so programs. This would include your traditional crappy lower level FBS teams (e.g. the MAC) and your upper-to-middle tier FCS teams.

Division C----This would be all the rest. Your low level FCS team and your non-scholly programs.

There would be a playoff at each level for the champion. You could have a relegation/move up system for programs that regularly excel or stink at each level.

In some ways, this system already exists. the top-top version of college football is what really captures the national attention....so let's call it what it is. By having regional conferences at the top level, this can limit this silly conference hoping that happens. The TV money for this top tier should be nuts. This would do away with this silliness of barely noticeable football programs jumping to FBS to be non-competitive or play in a bowl game no one cares about. I also think this allows for better competition by placing the sacrificial lambs together at different levels.

I suspect Charlie Baker will continue on with this amateurism farce though with big time college sports. I would just appreciate a return to some regional rivalries and some acknowledgement that there is a huge gap between the top of FBS football and the middle, let alone the bottom. Let's reduce some of the incentives for schools to throw good money after bad pretending they can compete in something they have no business competing in.   

Sorry, but you have to use the term "Division I" IN THE NAME. Heck they never should have allowed the change from 'I-AA'. Do you ever hear any announcer using the phrase "Division I FCS"? NOPE!