Author Topic: Attendance  (Read 1500 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Attendance
« on: March 18, 2023, 10:08:07 AM »
We averaged 3,100 fans a game.  When was the last time we had that?  Probably the 1980's under Mike Rice.
That being said it shows that the University needs to focus on basketball more now that we are on the map.
We lose a lot of seniors but do have Brandon Rush able to come back and most likely Lovelace,  Plus the portal in the works.   Plus we signed 3 high school player and a Juco.    Time too not take the foot off of the pedal until we get that Coveted NCAA Tournament berth.  Look at all of the upsets so far.   Half of Robert Morris team entered the portal and some of the league did but no one yet from YSU.  Lets keep our fingers crossed.  Go Guins!!!
I look forward to the 23-24 basketball season like no other.   

Online Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Attendance
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 10:27:41 AM »
We averaged 3,100 fans a game.  When was the last time we had that?  Probably the 1980's under Mike Rice.
That being said it shows that the University needs to focus on basketball more now that we are on the map.
We lose a lot of seniors but do have Brandon Rush able to come back and most likely Lovelace,  Plus the portal in the works.   Plus we signed 3 high school player and a Juco.    Time too not take the foot off of the pedal until we get that Coveted NCAA Tournament berth.  Look at all of the upsets so far.   Half of Robert Morris team entered the portal and some of the league did but no one yet from YSU.  Lets keep our fingers crossed.  Go Guins!!!
I look forward to the 23-24 basketball season like no other.

IMO, Rush transferred into YSU last year, it’s unlikely for him to enter the portal again. For the rest of the current roster, Lovelace is probably the only one good enough to transfer out. I just could not see anyone else to transfer out to bigger programs….. unless they wanted to transfer to d-2.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 10:54:22 AM »
I agree on Rush. Ironically he camefrom Fairleigh Dickinson that won 4 games last year. Only way you'd think he'd transfer is if Coach left or he felt the team wasn't going to be a winner.

I'd be surprised if Lovelace left but you really don't know.

I could see Dunn possibly moving down to D2 or D3. YSU has lost a few to that in recent years. Have to wonder about Owens. At one point Coach said he was a work in progress.

Not sure what to think on Hunter & Shemar. Seemed like after he got snowed in in Toronto & didn't play hardly at all those next 2 games then the injury he lost all his playing time. He went from being a starter to like 9th or 10th.

Online Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 12:10:14 PM »
I think coach has decided, toward the end of the season, that he could only win by playing the starting 5 plus Lovelace and Hunter (limited time for Covington)

Covington did not even get in the OSU game. I honestly think that we could have beaten NKU if Nelson didn’t get into foul trouble and Cohill didn’t foul out with 5 minutes to go.

We also OSU game could have won if we could make some of those open 3. That was how FDU took down Purdue. FDU played the same type of offensive game as YSU. Somehow, they were about to knock down the 3 balls and collapse on the big 7-4 center.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 12:28:37 PM »
FDU you beat Purdue by pressing and defending the entire floor for 40 minutes. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 04:36:40 PM »
My take on potential transfers.

Will Dunn -   Played a lot last season but not this year.  I'm thinking he would leave and go to a smaller school whether that's D2 or other.

Jacori Owens - I also think he's gone.  It looked liked he was in the rotation during the first game against Canisius and then he rarely got minutes the rest of the season.

Shemar Rathan Mayes - On the fence on this one.  Mayes started a lot of games at YSU and I know he had an injury but unless he was still hurt it seemed that he did not get back in the rotation in the  late part of the season.

Myles Hunter - Is someone I'd call probable to stay.  He was in the rotation and got decent time on the court.  Unless he wants to be more of 'the man" then he'll look elsewhere.

Josh Irwin -Could  be looking to something like Luke Chicone did going to a John Carrol or similar. Two years in  the program and only blow out minutes or against non D1 opponents.  Granted he did redshirt his first year.  Seems like a great teammate and showed the most enthusiasm and support from the bench.

Brandon Rush - Should be back and a major contributor.

John Lovelace - Same as Rush.

I have zero inside information and only speculating.   These guys want to play and I don't blame them.  Why sit on the bench when a good opportunity  presents itself.

Coach C was adamant about going hard in the portal and that's his job to bring in the best players and what he did last year in the portal made some guys in the program slide down in their time on the court.

Btw, it was interesting that Robert Morris lost both Cheeks and Green to the portal who were big time producers at RMU.   When your best players want to go elsewhere that hurts the program as we know with naz and DQ in the past.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 04:41:21 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 05:16:11 PM »
ucfpengbuck i totally agree with everything you posted .  Will Dunn and Josh Irwin are most likely going to stay they are having a good time with the program.  Jacori Owens i think might explore opportunities.    We need more inside help through the portal.  At least 2 players.  We have 3 schollys left i believe

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 05:18:00 PM »
Maybe Cheeks and Green form RMU might transfer here...

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2023, 05:23:31 PM »
What ever happened to Mattia Acunzo who  transferred here from RMU and is from Sharon Kennedy.  Hurt?
He was on the bench i believe but cannot be for sure.  Blue Ribbon college magazine said Eligible in January of 2023 but i didn't see that .  He is 6-8 and is very talented.   Can someone find out if he is still with the team.  He is from Italy.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2023, 05:50:39 PM »
Calhoun makes the 9th worse salary in the Horizon as of the end of 22 season.  He got resigned before the season with many bonuses to include $5k for finishing 5th or better.  He got that bonus.  Plus an RPI of 150 or less he achieved that.  Bonus for beating a power 5 team didn't get that.  By comparison Wright state head coach makes 500k and NKU coach makes 400k, Milwaukee coach makes 350k.  I believe IUPUI coach makes less than Calhoun.
Not every coach was listed as having a salary or bonus.  By the way the Cleve. State coach makes 280k per year. didn't see any bonuses for him though.  Google head coaches salary and i got it.

Online Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2023, 06:22:17 PM »
I also agree with UFC’s assessment on the roster.
I think we have had some talented players over the last couple years. Unfortunately, they were not on the team at the same period of time……….If you take the current starting 5 and add Naz, DQ, and Akuchie to the mix, I think we could very well be in the big dance this year. (Hunter, Covington and Lovelace were not nearly as good as those 3).

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2023, 06:49:39 PM »
What ever happened to Mattia Acunzo who  transferred here from RMU and is from Sharon Kennedy.  Hurt?
He was on the bench i believe but cannot be for sure.  Blue Ribbon college magazine said Eligible in January of 2023 but i didn't see that .  He is 6-8 and is very talented.   Can someone find out if he is still with the team.  He is from Italy.

Leg injury.  Not sure of the specifics.