Author Topic: Calhoun press conference and the future  (Read 2774 times)

Offline YsuPride

  • Emperor Penguin
  • *****
  • Posts: 1550
    • View Profile
Re: Calhoun press conference and the future
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2023, 02:05:43 PM »
Remodel will take at least one year so Beeghly will be shut down for the year or so.  Utilize Covelli and hope for the best,  Covelli is not a good basketball arena though but what choice do we have.  I'd rather see a remodel of the Beeghly center more than a new arena.   But it has to be soon tho

Offline guinpen

  • Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • *****
  • Posts: 4146
    • View Profile
Re: Calhoun press conference and the future
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2023, 02:10:26 PM »
Not sure how this works but I assume a family named Beeghly ponied up money so it was named after them. Can the name be changed to honor a new contributor?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline GoGuins

  • Emperor Penguin
  • *****
  • Posts: 2385
    • View Profile
Re: Calhoun press conference and the future
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2023, 06:06:51 PM »
He mentions new arena as soon as possible and that we are raising money to get a new/remoldeled arena.
Must happen quick or Calhoun may bolt for another school.   Fans are willing to pay for tickets now that we are good so why give them away for Free?   Maybe charge students like $5 or something.

Something like Robert Morris arena

BushwoodCC

  • Guest
Re: Calhoun press conference and the future
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2023, 08:44:34 PM »
I would set the chances of a complete overhaul like RMU and Duquesne's arena's at about 1.5%. I think the odds of upgraded seating and perhaps some other upgrades are at 98.5%.

The bottom line is this. Enrollment is down. The faculty union does not seem very supportive of YSU having a D1 athletic department. YSU is going to be fundraising like crazy for the complete $40 million overhaul of Kilkawley. There is only so much big charitable money out there for YSU to go after.

If you could get some donors to get $1-2 million of upgrades to Beeghly over a three year period, I'd consider that a big victory.

Offline YsuPride

  • Emperor Penguin
  • *****
  • Posts: 1550
    • View Profile
Re: Calhoun press conference and the future
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2023, 09:58:49 PM »
Robert Morris and Duquesne are good examples