Author Topic: Calhoun press conference and the future  (Read 2938 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Calhoun press conference and the future
« on: March 16, 2023, 01:34:18 PM »
I copied the link he had some great insight if you listen to the press conference. Listen to that and you will hear his wish list.

https://ysusports.com/news/2023/3/15/mens-basketball-penguins-put-forth-valiant-effort-in-69-64-loss-to-oklahoma-state.aspx
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Calhoun press conference and the future
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 02:42:23 PM »
He mentions new arena as soon as possible and that we are raising money to get a new/remoldeled arena.
Must happen quick or Calhoun may bolt for another school.   Fans are willing to pay for tickets now that we are good so why give them away for Free?   Maybe charge students like $5 or something.

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 03:03:18 PM »
Let’s assume 15 home games with 500 students a game(which is a big assumption.) That would be an additional $37,500. I think the students should get in free. We went 14-3 at home and could have easily won each of the three games we lost. I believe the students are integral part of crowds and would not start charging for them. Almost all major universities allow their students in for free.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 04:00:48 PM »
Let’s a$$ume 15 home games with 500 students a game(which is a big a$$umption.) That would be an additional $37,500. I think the students should get in free. We went 14-3 at home and could have easily won each of the three games we lost. I believe the students are integral part of crowds and would not start charging for them. Almost all major universities allow their students in for free.

We don’t charge the students because part of their general fees are allocated to athletic budget.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 05:08:25 PM »
If you listened to Calhoun he stressed the NIL money almost more so than the new facility. Now more than ever, corporate sponsorship and alumni donations are paramount.  If the AD doesn't have the right people in place to generate additional $$$ the department will suffer.  In addition, now that Tressel is gone these coaches will have to close the deal with recruits.  I'm quite positive he was used by the basketball and football coaches to help seal the deal.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 05:29:18 PM »
Three keys from the presser were transfer portal,new arena or upgrade,and NIL.

1.  NIL is essential if you want to compete in our league but the whole thing makes me ill so I'll leave it at that.

2. Upgrade Beeghly or build a new arena.  Our basketball facility should be as good as the others in the league and I would put Beeghly near the bottom.  This is another topic I find annoying although I understand YSU needs to keep up in the arms war to stay competitive.

3. Transfer portal to me is the key.  Coach said "we did it last year and will do it again".  All five starters were from the portal and it gave YSU their first conference crown ever so that's the way it's going  if you want to win NOW.

Looking at the current 13 man roster(on scholarship) six have used up their eligibility and I would say possibly four  more might hit the portal.  Four more are coming in as verbal recruits or signees but if you noticed in the past some recruits never actually arrive.
I'm thinking coach C and staff might be bringing in a boat load of transfers if not another frosh or so.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 05:41:23 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 06:51:02 PM »
The NIL will be a challenge moving forward for YSU.  The AD was ok as long as the loges in Stambaugh were at capacity.  The dead weight in the athletic department will now be exposed.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 06:57:21 PM »
Need to renovate that sh*t hole of an arena called Beeghly. It's 2023, you cannot have high school bleachers from 1970 anymore. Hopefully a donor can step up and put up the money. It has to be the #1 priority. It is probably the worst arena in the league. GET IT DONE.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 11:16:28 PM »
The need for NIL funds and for improvements to Beeghly are obvious, but the timing is absolutely terrible. As I mentioned previously, the university had just completed an amazingly successful fund-raising drive that yielded over 100 million. And the main fund-raising effort now is for renovations to Kilcawley Center. The fireworks guy recently gave a million to that project. As painful as it is for us to accept, athletic facilities are not the top priority for the administration or the trustees. We need another Mickey Monus (a non-criminal model) but such an entity no longer resides in our community. Don't bother mentioning the DeBartolo family. They love Notre Dame not YSU.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 06:17:25 AM »
What about the owner of Southwoods?  I'm sure he can donate millions.  He was named Penguin of the year.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 06:20:34 AM »
Ed Muranski

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 08:40:34 AM »
After this amazing and fun season, with great crowds, finally...maybe now the university brass may actually say:  "geez, maybe we actually can make a lot of money in men's basketball!"  I saw Mr. Muranski at Wednesday's game (I think he goes to many games), his seat was courtside, I will take a guess and say he will donate a large amount of money towards a new/renovated Beeghley.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 10:14:14 AM »
Muransky, Covelli, DeBartolo, Cafaro. Take your pick. Somebody needs to step up.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2023, 11:56:26 AM »
Someone needs to step up sooner than later. Hopefully we can get a donor and make plans for next off season remodel of Beeghly or even a new arena .  SOON

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 01:46:44 PM »
First, I do not think that a new building is needed, a redo within the same area will do nicely.

Guessing that we could use Covelli while the work is being done.

Enough money to do it with the names already mentioned, maybe two of them could share the naming rights.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne