Author Topic: Calhoun  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Calhoun
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2023, 04:57:58 PM »
Agreed!

Offline PeteGuinYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2023, 07:08:53 PM »
Good post chez,

I think that coach has done a good job but not quite ready for the big time yet. Not sure what he makes since the extension but he needs to be paid as much as his peers.

Let's not fool ourselves...there is plenty of interest in Coach Calhoun from other programs.

When Coach signed his extension, he did so with essentially no salary increase.  That kept him at 10th lowest out of 11 Horizon League Coaches.   IF (that's a BIG IF) the YSU Board of Trustees were to double his pay, it would still only put him in the middle of the pack. Is that enough to keep him - who knows - but I personally hope they at least recognize that we've had him on the cheap this entire time. 

But there's a lot of questions in my mind:

Can the Penguin faithful live in a post-Tressel era where the basketball coach makes $100,000 a year more than the football coach?  Heresy!!!   

Just imagine how the YSU Faculty Union will play this one ahead of this year's contract negotiations.  Does our new President and Board want the heat?

Does Coach have unfinished business at YSU?  Yes. 

Has has he done enough be paid like the other top Horizon League Coaches?  Absolutely.

I hope the YSU Board of Trustees https://ysu.edu/board-of-trustees/member-profiles decides Coach is worth keeping around for a little longer.  And if they do, maybe Jerrod will be like Tressel and wait for the "right" job.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2023, 07:42:13 AM »
On the board is Former Congressman Ryan's brother Allen.   Isn't that a coincidence

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2023, 09:18:36 AM »
I can't see Calhoun bailing just yet unless he thinks this year was his best chance to do something. Once Huggins leaves WVU, then be nervous.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2023, 08:05:54 PM »
I hear Huggins may leave in a year or two. 

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2023, 09:47:27 PM »
The Big 12 is arguably the best college basketball conference.  I think its a stretch to think Calhoun would  be seriously considered.  I'm thkg more upper mid-major.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2023, 09:59:56 PM »
Chez, cherry picking on YSU playing non D1 teams is true but every college plays the sisters of the poor teams in their non conference schedule.   Duke does it ,Ohio State you name any big programs they have those games.

Maybe there is more work to do for coach C but I'm not that naive to think he won't have options based on his six year track record at Youngstown.   Money talks.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2023, 09:17:54 PM »
Somebody must have already posted this…

Youngstown fans are the biggest front runners in the history of college athletics
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2023, 09:31:03 PM »

Youngstown fans are the biggest front runners in the history of college athletics

Not uncommon for a lot of schools. Would be worse if the fans did not show at all.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2023, 10:17:40 PM »
Nailed it!  You win they will come!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2023, 10:19:09 PM »
Sorry but that is the second time a coach said something at the wrong time    for football it was when Dantonio let the ressel move to Florida slip, calhoun has nothing coming back   announce as early as tomorrow that ya why he said it was nice working with you.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 10:26:06 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2023, 11:05:50 PM »
Was that said on the post game or what?   what was actually said?

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2023, 11:12:59 PM »
Sorry but that is the second time a coach said something at the wrong time    for football it was when Dantonio let the ressel move to Florida slip, calhoun has nothing coming back   announce as early as tomorrow that ya why he said it was nice working with you.

What are you even talking about?

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2023, 12:39:03 AM »

Lecter in your world of sports do crowds get larger with prolonged losing? I can’t remember any times in my life when someone said “what a terrible season we’re having-I hope there will be tickets available for the next game.”

When Akron went 2-10 this past season in football we you surprised that the crowds got smaller as the season went on?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2023, 08:21:02 AM »
Coach is committed to this program. He was really pushing the community last night for money for a new arena, NIL and said he and the coaching staff are already meeting to start recruiting the portal.