Author Topic: Son of Pete Maravich, ‘Sick to My Stomach’  (Read 2085 times)

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Son of Pete Maravich, ‘Sick to My Stomach’
« on: March 08, 2023, 09:27:23 PM »
Jaeson Maravich, Son of Pete Maravich, ‘Sick to My Stomach’ Over How His Father’s Record Could be Broken

Jaeson Maravich isn’t a social media guy. The son of Pete Maravich posted to Facebook for the first time last week in order to get something off his chest. Last Thursday, Pete Maravich’s 53-year-old college basketball scoring mark appeared to be safe after Detroit Mercy’s fifth-year guard Antoine Davis fell three points shy of tying it in a season-ending loss. Detroit Mercy finished 14-19 and had no shot of qualifying for the NCAA tourney or the NIT.

Enter the College Basketball Invitational. The CBI is a little-known 16-team tournament that is made up of NCAA leftovers. Teams must pay $27,500 to enter, but they must be invited. With no requirement stating a team must be above .500, Detroit Mercy could get an invite because Davis could break Maravich’s record on the CBI’s watch and provide it with the publicity it desperately needs. The younger Maravich recently took to Facebook, stating he was “sick to my stomach” that his father’s long-standing record could be bought.

Pete Maravich set his NCAA mark in three years

Anyone who knows college basketball knows Antoine Davis is no Pete Maravich. That is no knock on Davis. It just shows how dominant “Pistol Pete” was.

It took Maravich 83 games to collect his 3,667 points, an NCAA Division I men’s basketball record he set in 1970. Davis needed a fifth season, one granted because of the COVID-19 pandemic, and 144 games to rack up 3,664 points. Not to mention, Maravich never had the benefit of a three-point line. There was also no shot clock, which would allow opposing teams to milk the clock, giving Maravich fewer possessions.

The CBI could give Davis a 145th game. An invitation to Detroit Mercy would be good for the CBI for about 10 minutes. Fans would likely tune in to see a 53-year-old record unjustly fall. Maravich would become No. 2 and Davis No. 1 on paper only. Paying for a record to be broken in a low-level tournament would be doing college basketball a disservice.

“It would be setting a bad precedent,” Jaeson Maravich told Sportscasting on Wednesday. “What about the eight teams that finished ahead of them in their conference? They don’t get an invite?

“I don’t understand how the NCAA even counts these stats. How does this count when my dad’s freshman stats don’t count?”

Jaeson Maravich has been asked about this all week. In every interview, he has never put down Davis. And why should he? It’s not Davis’ fault he was given a fifth year.

“I haven’t ripped the kid at all,” he said. “I’m happy he’s had a good run.”

Playing a 145th game, however, would be a disgrace. At 14-19, you shouldn’t be invited to any tournament. It’s greed on the part of the CBI, and it’s selfishness on Detroit Mercy’s part if it accepts.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Son of Pete Maravich, ‘Sick to My Stomach’
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 09:28:43 PM »
Anyone think that Detroit should or will buy in?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 05:51:54 AM »
Anyone think that Detroit should or will buy in?

With a losing record, they should not be invited.
If they do get invited, it probably would be a business decision.. Detroit could buy in a home game and the revenue should most likely cover the cost. Detroit fans would love to see their favorite player breaking the record.

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 07:13:03 AM »
and the day after, everyone will forget who Pistol Pete was and know that Antonie Davis was truly better than Maravich in every conceivable way.

Eh----It's a weak way to break a record, if it happens. I think the whole world sees the difference....and the fact Davis probably won't have much of a professional career will seal that too.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 08:29:53 AM »
I don't like it, but it's not like it's the first time teams with losing records have made a postseason tournament.  Last year, Morgan State, who played YSYU in the first round of The Basketball Classic, was 13-14; however, I did look at last year's CBI and everyone's record was .500 or better.  In addition, I know TBC was desperate to find teams to play in it.

It was interesting in the post-game press conference, Coach Calhoun did say Detroit should go and play in it.  That surprised me.  Regardless of Antoine, I'm not a fan of rewarding a school for a losing record...especially 5 games under .500. 

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 09:10:56 AM »
He is right. Records are earned, not given. There is not justification for this team to play on just because some ppl think he deserves the record?? He had 5 season and still fell short. It is what it is.
If they are going to count Davis and all 5 seasons plus a garbage invite to the CBI then they should count Pete's freshman year.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 09:20:42 AM »
I thought Pistol Pete didn't play as a freshman.   did he play freshman ball?

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 10:19:53 AM »
Love the irony, the CBI can use the attention, but the attention will only expose their lack of credibility.

The right thing to do would be to just clean out the lockers.

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 11:35:45 AM »
I have to admit, I didn't know who held the most career college points up until about two weeks ago. The records are nice and all, but they mean way less to people in reality than we tend to think in the moment. Whether or not Davis breaks the record, two years from now, everyone will still know Pistol Pete was an all-time great and no one will remember Davis played basketball outside of the people at Detroit.

Can you imagine being on the Detroit team though and the whole thing the last few years has been an elaborate way for the coach's son to run up stats? Doesn't that stuff stop after grade school LOL

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 11:44:22 AM »
I have to admit, I didn't know who held the most career college points up until about two weeks ago. The records are nice and all, but they mean way less to people in reality than we tend to think in the moment. Whether or not Davis breaks the record, two years from now, everyone will still know Pistol Pete was an all-time great and no one will remember Davis played basketball outside of the people at Detroit.

Can you imagine being on the Detroit team though and the whole thing the last few years has been an elaborate way for the coach's son to run up stats? Doesn't that stuff stop after grade school LOL

Unless Davis makes it big in NBA, people will not remember him even if he breaks the record.
There is no different than Jaleel McLaughlin. Unless he makes big in NFL, nobody will know him as the running leader in NCAA.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 10:47:47 AM »
Update on this...Detroit did not get selected for the CBI.  All 16 teams in the CBI were .500 or better.  CSU and Milwaukee are in the tourney. 

So Maravich's record is safe. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 11:14:30 AM »
Update on this...Detroit did not get selected for the CBI.  All 16 teams in the CBI were .500 or better.  CSU and Milwaukee are in the tourney. 

Could he possibly enter the transfer portal to get another year (6th, just like  Covington)?
Personally, I was surprised that Detroit did not try to get him the ball more often in the last game against us so he could break the record.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 11:17:24 AM »

Could he possibly enter the transfer portal to get another year (6th, just like  Covington)?
Personally, I was surprised that Detroit did not try to get him the ball more often in the last game against us so he could break the record.

No...Covington got a 6th year because of his injury last year. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2023, 11:36:24 AM »

No...Covington got a 6th year because of his injury last year.

Biden’s outcome equity policy might get him another year, Lol.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 02:23:58 PM »

I am surprised